Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer Constantly Beeps

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-May-2006, 02:51 AM #1
Computer Constantly Beeps
My computer started beeping from the tower about 2 weeks ago and has only gotten worse... I wasn't sure why it was beeping at me so I ignored it.. Well, it has gotten to the point where the beeping is affecting my computer performance... It it much slower, freezes for short periods of time, lags my mouse, restarts videos in media player, brings web pages back to the top of the page, ect... I started reading about it and learned that it could be that my computer is overheating, my RAM/Memory has errors, or something to do with BIOS... Can anyone help?? I am trying to avoid replacing anything, but thats the only solution, then I will deal... Thanks!
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2006, 05:14 AM #2
I believe you may have a faulty keyboard or mouse. Easiest to try first is the mouse. Unplug it and restart. If not check over your keyboard for any keys locked down. Unplug the keyboard and see if it stops.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

23-May-2006, 07:56 AM #3
There are computer beep codes and they mean something and they are really difficult to diagnose from any computer but yours.
Try this web site maybe on another computer and see if this helps, it will tell you what the beeps are for and possible causes and maybe fixes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
Junior Member with 16 posts.

23-May-2006, 08:12 AM #4
Is it only beeping during launch ? Or is it also beeping while you are working with the PC ?
Flapperke
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

23-May-2006, 09:43 AM #5
That is mostly ram...hjave you added any recently or done anything inside case where you might have bumped the ram sticks....also dirt and crap inside could affect it!
Member with 48 posts.

23-May-2006, 11:58 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaligani
I believe you may have a faulty keyboard or mouse. Easiest to try first is the mouse. Unplug it and restart. If not check over your keyboard for any keys locked down. Unplug the keyboard and see if it stops.
Ok, I will try it and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapperkewiet
Is it only beeping during launch ? Or is it also beeping while you are working with the PC ?
Flapperke
It does the one beep when I start it... And then it beeps while I am using the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
That is mostly ram...hjave you added any recently or done anything inside case where you might have bumped the ram sticks....also dirt and crap inside could affect it!
No, I haven't do anything with the RAM... But I did open my computer last night and saw that it was a little dusty... I opened it to check if the fans were working and they were... But I also noticed that it was very warm inside.

And if they helps, here is my computer information:
Sony PCV-RZ22G
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
512 RAM
BIOS - Award Software, Inc
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

23-May-2006, 01:40 PM #7
Please remember if you go to clean out do not put vacuum cleaner hose in there...use "can of air" to blow out.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
23-May-2006, 02:22 PM #8
That sort of beeping is usually a motherboard alarm telling you it is too hot, the power supply voltages are not what they should be, or the fan is not running at normal speeds.

You can also try having a look with a utility like SpeedFan:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Member with 48 posts.

23-May-2006, 08:43 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaligani

I believe my problem is fixed... I changed out the mouse and it seems to be working fine now... Thanks for everyone's input... But I do plan on cleaning my computer out.. It is very dusty and dirty inside!! Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
23-May-2006, 09:33 PM #10
Mice don't beep
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

23-May-2006, 10:04 PM #11
They do now. Interesting fix, who woulda thought.
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

24-May-2006, 03:11 AM #12
Well done Peetah2. I thought that was the most likely criminal.
Member with 48 posts.

24-May-2006, 05:52 AM #13
Yea, I really did think this would be the fix, but it was!! Thank goodness though... That beep was really annoying!
Member with 89 posts.

24-May-2006, 06:00 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
Mice don't beep
actually mice don't beep..the m/b itself...lol! coz maybe he inserted in wrong port.. lol!

-Celancelot
Member with 48 posts.

24-May-2006, 02:21 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celancelot
actually mice don't beep..the m/b itself...lol! coz maybe he inserted in wrong port.. lol!

-Celancelot

whats the m/b??? I dont know, but everything is fine now.. I did think something was wrong with the port, but who knows!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!