Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Code Purple Configuration Error HP/Compaq

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: MCP, MCSA, MCSE
17-Jul-2007, 10:08 AM #16
Are you showing hidden files? If not, open my computer. Then go to Tools-->Folder Options--> View and scroll down to "Show hidden files" and make sure that is selected. Let me know if this helps.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

29-Jul-2007, 02:50 AM #17
Lightbulb Recovery in progress
Hi,

I've been reading the thread, trying to get my HP media center m270 to initiate a system recovery, but my f10 did not work.

I also notices, my hard drive had a partition call HP recovery, so I booted using an XP bootable
cd,

1. selected the option to run to command prompt only.

2. ran FDISK

3. Selected the partition "HP recovery", and made it the active partition.

4. removed cd from drive, and reboot.

5. hit F10, and "Bobs your uncle"

hope this help some people, assuming you haven't formated you hard drive.

kind regards

Babs

Experience: Beginner
09-Aug-2007, 04:51 AM #18
Code Purple HP
Hi

I recently had my broken motherboard changed. I have since tried to run system restore and have got the system configuration error - code purple. I have read bits about over coming this and wanted to try the ultimate boot cd to reboot and gain access to my hard drive to delete the necessary file. However when I try to boot my sytem it still runs the HP system recovery and not the disk recovery.

How do I get it to reboot from the disk instead of the hard drive?

Also what do I do one it boots from the disk to access the hard drive and delete the necessary file?

I rang HP support and they said I would have to take it to an engineer and that the minimum charge is £150 but the repair would probably cost alot more!

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2007, 05:38 PM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullinOutHair
I have the UltimateBoot CD V4.1.1 and can not find the file or the way to the file C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat
And, yes. I know nothing. LOL Can anyone help?
The cfgchk.bat is on the D drive. The D drive is a fat32 partition, sometimes hidden, sometimes not that holds all of the restore data for HP and compaq computers. Every one of the folders will appear with a lock on them. If you can boot the system, the easiest way to work with the folders and data and software on the D drive is to create recovery discs, preferably dvds as there will be only 2. You can browse the Discs an copy or extract what you need. From my experience, most of the problems that many of the people on this thread are experiencing come from motherboards that are not actually HP of Compaq motherboards and recovery discs or operating systems that do not match the HP or compaq codes. The HP /compaq bios has several identifiers. There is a something called the Subsys ID at the bottom of the first page of the hp/cpq bios. This subsys ID must be compatible with the one in in the "d" drive or the recovery discs. If it does not, you will always have odd problems trying to use the HP/CPQ oem operating system. If you look at the label on your motherboard, for instance: If you go to the HP website and pullup the system info for you computer using the model number on the front; does the info on the website match your computer, motherboard subsys id, motherboard model number etc.
All this is done to protect the operating system and software from being pirated. Many of the cheap refurb, rebranded and unbranded lookalike computers have had the motherboards "hacked" so OEM operating systems will work. This gets all of those MSFT lawyers really upset.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Sep-2007, 04:45 PM #20
Another HP code Purple
You were the last entry and I hope you can help me.
My wife got the code purple on a working PC after she tried to restore from backup's she made. HP told her that the hard drive was bad and buy a new tower $700.00. She restored from back up because the computer was slow. I noticed that most people is this forum are having problems after a board replacement. Do you think the same rules apply for her situation or is the hard drive bad?
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 03:24 AM #21
Hi everyone. I,m new here and have got a problem. I recently obtained a hard disk and tried to install it using my computer, a compaq deskpro PII and got the error code of 1782-Disk controll failure. What does this mean and how can I solve the problem? Thank you all
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2007, 01:55 PM #22
Exclamation HP/Compaq Vista Code Purple Solution
Working on PC Tech service i found a Compaq with Vista Preinstalled PC that shows the "Code Purple" Error.

The Solution that worked fine is the following:

1.- Do a complete recovery using recovery partition or the Recovery DVD's/CD's

2.- At the first restart after copy process is done, use a MiniPe CD or enter a BootCD to Load Dos or some Environment with ntfs Support, and some app to edit textfiles.

3.- Get into C:\hp\bin\CheckDMI folder

4.- Open CheckDMI.cmd File with a textfile editing app

5.- Look for this Commented Green Lineslines:

if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto mismatch
goto cleanup

This code is the end of DMI Compare routine, if DMIdata is not correct then tou get purple code error, triggering "mismatch" routine; if data is correct, then trigger "cleanup" routine that is needed to avoid purple Code error Code

REM ------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Found discrepancy in the DMI. Notify the user with the localize
REM message via lg.ini, then shut down the system immediately.
REM ------------------------------------------------------------------
:mismatch
echo - Mismatched DMI - >c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
echo DMI from Master UUT: >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
type DMIinfo.ini >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
echo ---------------------------------------------- >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
echo DMI from This UUT: >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
type DMIofUUT.ini >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
echo ---------------------------------------------- >>c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log
del DMIinfo.ini DMIofUUT.ini
start /w c:\hp\bin\MsgAction.exe "%title%: %message%"
shutdown.exe /s /t 0
goto end

REM -----------------------------------------------------------------
REM Found all matching DMI flags. Clean up before exiting.
REM -----------------------------------------------------------------
:cleanup
cd..
if exist c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log del c:\hp\support\CodePurple.log /q
if exist c:\hp\bin\CheckDMI rd c:\hp\bin\CheckDMI /s /q

6.- Solution is cheating code and invoking Cleanup even if DMI is not correct.

if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto cleanup
goto cleanup

7.- Save and reboot.

The code in CheckDMI.cmd file is commented from hp/compact, and is insteresting cause u can get new forms to avoid Purple Code using this information.

This is my first post and i hope this info help u.

02-Nov-2007, 10:43 PM #23
Actually the fix to this problem is much simpler than going through the hassle of removing the hard drive, installing it in a new computer, etc, etc...

Simply get to the command prompt of your computer, use window xp (home or pro) installation cd.

- Insert cd into CD-ROM drive and restart your computer (you might need to change the boot sequence if CD-ROM is not the primary boot drive.

- The Windows Setup program will run automatically. When you reach the Welcome to Windows Setup screen, choose the option to repair your system with the Recovery Console.

- When presented with the option to boot recovery with:
1. H:\MiniHP
2. C:\Windows

Press 1 and then press enter. That will take you to a command prompt.

- change the drive to C:\
C:

- change the folder to c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck
cd hp\bin\configcheck

- delete the file: run.py
del run.py

That’s it. Reboot your computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

02-Nov-2007, 11:14 PM #24
Try this:

Hey guys, Check this out:

In the same directory({drive}:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\ ) is a file called "lg.ini"
I edited it with Notepad and changed:

message=Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to Customer Care using the phone number found in the Warranty and Support Guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected, this error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off. (Code Purple)

with:

message=This system checks the configuration for some code called a "Tatoo" to protect from Piratecy. Work-around; Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button for a few seconds untill your PC turns off. Then, put your drive in a different computer or use an external USB drive to edit the file: "{drive}:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat". Remove the line "python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py" and save. Return your drive here & then your system should boot up O.K. (CODE GO)

Now when the ERROR happens, It tells you, or whoever you pass on your computer to, how to do this fix.
(CODE GO)

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.

Experience: hobby since the 90's
27-May-2008, 07:42 AM #25
Cool Code purple work around
Hello and I hope this will help some people I to got a code purple on my HP a1600n after hrs of form reseach I contacted HP and they gave me the story about MB retatooing which was gonna cost shipping + labor Best Buy told me they have to send it out and charge $60 p/h labor But I foud another way. When i bought my system I got the free Vista CD with it if you didnt get it you can buy a retail copy of your OS which would be the same price if not cheaper then letting HP do it and haveing same proplem sooner or later. when installing the new OS do a clean install that will wipe all HP or compaq pre installs including Python whic i hear is the main cause of this problem. now my comp runs better then ever and even reformatted the D\ recovery partition to NTFS and now use it for extra back up space.
you may want to reinstall your sound drivers an such which can be downloaded from there sight exp mine was (reltek) but windows was running great. and will never use compaq or HP recovery agin and will deff never buy another one. Hope this helps
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

08-Jul-2008, 02:35 PM #26
I just ran across this same problem on a system I was trying to help with.

What is the final position on the easiest fix? If there is such a thing?
Junior Member with 5 posts.

12-Jul-2008, 03:41 AM #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrazepam View Post
This is my first post and i hope this info help u.
Thanks. But it wasn't very helpful, because you didn't indicate what you're supposed to edit in that file. You mentioned that the file needs to be edited, but didn't show what things inside this file needs to be edited.

05-Aug-2008, 02:22 AM #28
Hello, I fixed the Code Purple problem on my PC with the information on this forum, the fix I found useful was:

I hooked up the troubled PC Hard Drive to my laptop with a hard drive USB case (I use it to turn normal HD in to portable HD) and made a search for the "run.py" file and deleted this file, this seems to work fine, let’s see what the future brings, have a nice life to all
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

11-Aug-2008, 01:56 PM #29
Thanks chuy! That is what I was leaning towards doing as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!