Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Code Purple Configuration Error HP/Compaq

(!)

Member with 863 posts.

24-May-2006, 07:00 AM #1
Code Purple Configuration Error HP/Compaq
Hi!
I'm working on a HP computer running XP Pro. When the computer would try to boot up to Windows an error message would appear stating that there was a configuration error and to contact the manufacturer. Then in paranthesis (Code Purple).

I did a search for Code Purple on the internet and got a number of hits, but only one seemed to have any suggestions for a solution.

This is what I found out and this is what I did (Some of these I copied and pasted from this blog - but just changed them to indicate specifically what I did I don't want to take credit for their great suggestions - the blog is at: http://www.billoblog.com/billoblog/?p=152#comments )

Code Purple indicates that there was a booby trap placed in HP and Compaq computers in which a “tattoo” or numerical signature of the motherboard and hardware configuration is created at the factory and encoded into the restore disks on a particular computer. When you re-install your system, it checks to make sure the system h I removed the hard drive from my Pavilion and put it in the other system. I then looked for the file that was doing the anti-piracy check. I found it at:

I removed the hard drive from their Pavilion and put it in the other system. The writer of the blog had found the file that was doing the anti-piracy check at:

C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat

The cfgchk.bat file contains the following:

c:\hp\bin\hpdmi r > dmiout.txt
python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py
del dmiout.txt
cd ..
rd /s /q c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck

The invocation of run.py is the actual check. The way the anti-piracy mechanism seems to work is to loop in the check if the comparison between the motherboard BIOS string (returned by hpdmi.exe) and the expected value fails. By looping in the error message, the check effectively puts the brakes on Syscheck, so the final configuration of XP never completes and you don’t get to a functional Windows desktop. Since the loop is in run.py, you can bypass the problem by just removing the invocation of the Python script. In other words, delete the line

python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py

For the writer of this thread this worked and he was able to reboot. However for me, I ran into some complications.

When I reinserted the hard drive to the original computer, it pulled up to Windows after a very long time configuring. When it got into Windows there was a message that said XP Pro could not open because of a missing boot.ini. I went to msconfig and did a boot.ini check and it said everything was running properly. I checked for the boot.ini in the C directory and it was there. (Read it)

Anyway, I rebooted and then it would not open windows, it would only pop up to the safe mode option page. If I tried to go into safe mode it just restarted again. The only option was to turn off the computer.

I did a system restore (I didn’t reformat in hopes I could save the data files.) Of course, it reinserted the python. So I was back to where I started.

Another reader in the blog wrote in that he had called Compaq and they told them the only solution was to tatoo the new mobo by deleting the ConfigCheck folder.

So I again piggybacked the hard drive, went to C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck and deleted the ConfigCheck folder. Again it rebooted to Windows and then I received the same boot.ini error.

I tried using a Windows 98 starte up disk at this point to see if I could bypass the boot.ini and solve the problem but that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-May-2006, 07:17 AM #2
HP software is made to work on HP's only. You can not install it on another system legally or otherwise (Older software might be different) I think the only solution to this would be to take the hard drive and put it into another computer as a slave drive and manually backup all of the data and then returnit to it's original computer and do a full restore of Windows with the HP restore disks and reinstall all apps and data.

The only other way is to call HP tech support and they might really question this error but more than likely tell you the same thing.

There is a fix for the missing boot.ini problem but it wouldn't work due to this purple error.
Member with 863 posts.

24-May-2006, 07:35 AM #3
I didn't try to install the OS onto another system. I piggybacked the HP HD onto another computer to edit one file. This HP did not come with disks - the recovery files are on the d: drive.
Computer Specs

24-May-2006, 07:47 AM #4
OK HP lost a lawsuit and is actually giving the recovery disks away for just shipping and handling charges, this is for people who do not have the disks and just have the recovery partition, you may want to check with them to see if your computer qualifies. But I think you are still going to have to do a full recovery but backup all of the data first.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Sep-2006, 11:15 PM #5
Thumbs down where r the disks?
Can you PLEASE instruct me on how to obtain the recovery disks to stop the "code purple" blues!?

Many thx
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2006, 08:01 AM #6
I called Hewlitt Packard & after getting FIRM with them, they agreed to send recovery disks (which I rec'd in 2 days). But at the end of conversation I was told Disks won't work on "code purple". Haven't tried them yet. Only one tech in this area has heard of code purple & says, $65 to start. No way. Hewlitt Packard is responsible for this. If you call them 800-474-6836, insist that it's their fault & that you know they've LOST a lawsuit over this. They may try to tell you those involved were notified of the fix. Be persistent. I'm hoping I can at least get into safe mode... then I can fix it. Success to you all with code purple. Do you think they named it that because our faces have turned purple attempting to fix or FIND a fix?! HP is liable for this a should be sued repeatedly until they change it.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2006, 08:03 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerPooped
I called Hewlitt Packard & after getting FIRM with them, they agreed to send recovery disks (which I rec'd in 2 days). But at the end of conversation I was told Disks won't work on "code purple". Haven't tried them yet. Only one tech in this area has heard of code purple & says, $65 to start. No way. Hewlitt Packard is responsible for this. If you call them 800-474-6836, insist that it's their fault & that you know they've LOST a lawsuit over this. They may try to tell you those involved were notified of the fix. Be persistent. I'm hoping I can at least get into safe mode... then I can fix it. Success to you all with code purple. Do you think they named it that because our faces have turned purple attempting to fix or FIND a fix?! HP is liable for this a should be sued repeatedly until they change it.

By the way.... I was not charged ANY shipping or handling. FIRM works.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2006, 08:13 AM #8
You have the recovery disks and I suggest that you backup all of you data to another media like CD-R's, DVD or thumb drive and then do a full recovery back to day one witht he recovery disks. This is free and you should be rid of the color purple.
Computer Specs

07-Sep-2006, 09:51 AM #9
Unhappy tried it
thx for suggestion,
I once again attempted another "fix" for code purple to no avail. Just as the HP tech said, "the recovery disks will not work for code purple". She was right. Once again (maybe 10th time) I called HP tech. Was told it would cost me $249 to retattoo it. That's not good folks. We all need to gather up our senses & sue them for this. Also, I questioned the fact that the HP website states that Radio Shack has the ability to fix it. Ahhhh as it goes on & on & on.

Does any one out there really truly know how to tell me how I can get into safe mode or DOS? I can take it from there. The computer is HP a330n with XP Hm. I noted on boot up: CMOS settings - wrong.

Another question: if I did put the hard drive into my personal computer to clean it up.... Will it do any harm to it? The a330n is one I bought for my sister.

Thx once again. Have a blessed day.

Truly am ComputerPooped! over code purple
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
07-Sep-2006, 10:13 AM #10
I don't see why the "tattoo" would prevent you from installing a retail copy of XP on the machine if you can obtain one.

As I understand it these tatoos are designed to ensure that the HP recovery media is keyed to the HP model and cannot be used on something else.

There is no "DOS" in XP; what there is available is the "Recovery Console" which you can boot to using an XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

There is also Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command prompt available from the F8 boot menu.

As for the BIOS configuration -- try resetting the defaults. Watch the first data on the screen to see what key to press to enter "setup" (usually f2 or Dell).

An option to reload the setup defaults is available there

After reading the Blog I notice there is mention of portable boot environments like BartPE and Linux.

I've done both of these -- and "puppy" linux may be a good choice for you to get access to files (the recovery console won't get you where you need to go).

http://www.puppyos.com/

You could install the hard drive as a "slave" device (not a boot device) on another computer for the purpose of recovering or deleting data. This is a somewhat technically advanced option.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 07-Sep-2006 at 10:24 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

17-Mar-2007, 03:26 PM #11
Hi there, MelonHead,

I,m sooooo happy. OR, I WAS

My system, (an HP Media Center m300y) had been down for 5 months with the CODE PURPLE.

After buying it used on e-Bay last summer, and setting it up to my prefs., it worked nicely.

Then, later, (Oct.- Nov.), I installed Norton Internet Security 07 and it had to reboot the system.

On reboot, I got the CODE PURPLE and it hasn't worked since.

I have searched on & off since then with no result or no reply from H.P.
I couldn't find any physical configurations to change, and the changes or resets in CMOS, didn't help either.

I gave up and it has sat on the shelf in pieces for months.

I finally ran across a search engine last night, (3/17/07) that brought me here.

I followed your instructions to:
remove the line "python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py"
from.............. {drive}:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat
as you suggested!
I put the HDD back in the computer & it booted past the CODE PURPLE ERROR.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ...

I am so thankful, that I took the time to register with "Tech Support Guy" and spend all this time typing just to say so.

It did get me past the CODE PURPLE error, and it took me to a colorful MS window with a count down timer and a message: "DO NOT turn off".
After the count down, it started a reboot. I don't know if it was on shut-down or start-up but I had the black screen with the WIN logo saying "Please Wait".
The HDD light was still blinking, so maybe I should have, but I got impatient and after over 15 Min's, I turned off and restarted the computer.
On boot-up, I then got a message saying Windows did not complete setup. Maybe it wasn't locked up.

I hit F10, and started "RESTORE" and went to bed,

This morning , 3/17/07 on reboot, I got the Color Purple again.

I WILL REMOVE THE LINE FROM THE CONFIG (using external USB on another computer) AND WAIT THIS TIME.

I may reply with results later:
But I mainly wanted to say THANK YOU
AND: pass on my experience,
MAYBE saving others from the same mistakes I had to learn.

You know,

It is a shame that manufacturers go to this extreme, making codes like this, and then give little or no assistance after the warranty is up.

It makes one lire of buying from them.

I may have lost my appeal for H.P.

Thanks AGAIN!
Glen
Have you seen MyWebBits?

Hey guys, Check this out:

In the same directory({drive}:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\ ) is a file called "lg.ini"
I edited it with Notepad and changed:
message=Your system has detected a configuration error. Please report this error to Customer Care using the phone number found in the Warranty and Support Guide that came with your PC. Unless corrected, this error will prevent your PC from operating properly. Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button. After a few seconds your PC will automatically turn off. (Code Purple)
with:
message=This system checks the configuration for some code called a "Tatoo" to protect from Piratecy. Work-around; Turn off your PC by pressing and holding the Power button for a few seconds untill your PC turns off. Then, put your drive in a different computer or use an external USB drive to edit the file: "{drive}:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat". Remove the line "python c:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\run.py" and save. Return your drive here & then your system should boot up O.K. (CODE GO)
Now when the ERROR happens, It tells you, or whoever you pass on your computer to, how to do this fix.
(CODE GO)

Last edited by MyWebBits; 17-Mar-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Computer Specs

17-Mar-2007, 03:51 PM #12
Hey thanks for showing how to hack the code purple,I have been looking for it but not too hard. It does work.
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
17-Mar-2007, 04:16 PM #13
I've wondered what the python thing was in add/remove . . all I knew was that it was not necessary and I have uninstall it on a couple a dozen or so HP's
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: MCP, MCSA, MCSE
11-Jun-2007, 08:37 PM #14
cfgchk.bat
FYI - This worked like a charm...thanks!!!!!!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jul-2007, 03:08 PM #15
I have the UltimateBoot CD V4.1.1 and can not find the file or the way to the file C:\hp\bin\ConfigCheck\cfgchk.bat
And, yes. I know nothing. LOL Can anyone help?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!