Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

system32/drivers/ntfs.sys missing or corrupt

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2006, 10:52 AM #1
system32/drivers/ntfs.sys missing or corrupt
XP pro computer tells me this when i turn it on. Offers to load in safe mode first, then tells me its lost/broken this file, push r to repair. Push r and it restarts.
Cant work out how to fix this problem, and not liking the name ntfs in the error at all.

Any suggestions on how to solve this? It will load from a cdrom, but i dont want the data loss associated with reformatting.

Any help much appreciated
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 327 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-May-2006, 12:04 PM #2
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

25-May-2006, 12:36 PM #3
The instructions are as follows, im hoping for some help following them.

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

I dont have any start up disks, and using the windows disk all i can see to get to is the screen where you delete/create partitions. Id like to get to the 'welcome to setup' screen but cant work out how. Pushing delete at the beginning or turning on the computer gets me into set up, but there is no 'push r' so i guess its the wrong set up.

Many thanks for the link tho bingo24
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 327 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-May-2006, 01:07 PM #4
1. Do you have the Full Retail CD of XP or OEM CD that is provided by brand computer mfgs. (ex. Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) ?
2. Can you get into the Recovery Console?
Junior Member with 4 posts.

15-Dec-2006, 11:53 AM #5
Smile "ntfs.sys" missing could point to ANYTHING
In my case I did a Diagnostics (Press F2 or F9 at boot) and found out a defect with my Memory Board.
As soon as the board was changed, the PC was working perfectly again.

(So this error message can have nothing to do in fact with the file ntfs.sys).

Junior Member with 2 posts.

13-Oct-2007, 06:52 AM #6
I managed to do the first parts but I don't remember the letter of my cd drom drive.. how do I find that out?

Last edited by uniquo; 13-Oct-2007 at 07:42 AM..
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Oct-2007, 08:35 AM #7
if any system files is courrupt then go in safemode where u are now and restore it from there:-
start->program->accessories->system tools->restore system.
then go on system restore pt. it will delete any corrupt file in ur system. it will restore on previous date where it get a restore point.
if u will not get result then reply me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!