Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trying to Bypass Windows 2000 Pro Password

(!)

Member with 239 posts.

Experience: Learning as I go
01-Jun-2006, 12:23 PM #1
Trying to Bypass Windows 2000 Pro Password
One of my company's clients recently asked me if I could get past the initial windows password in an older laptop for them as they'd forgotten what it was and wanted the files off the computer.

I downloaded the iso boot disk thing that I've used before to remove passwords and I put it into this old laptop and when it boots all I get is a black screen with the words ISOLINUX 3.09 2005-06-17 and nothing happens after that.

The computer is an IBM Thinkpad with a pentium II processor in it. Beyond that I know nothing about the computer.

Help please?
Trusted Advisor with 19,648 posts.

01-Jun-2006, 03:10 PM #2
What ISO bootdisk are you referring to.
Member with 22,468 posts.

01-Jun-2006, 03:15 PM #3
There is a boot disk you can download at:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2006, 05:40 PM #4
Forgotten Admin or User's Password = Win NT/2K/XP

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

01-Jun-2006, 05:52 PM #5
Yes that would be the same as previously posted.
Computer Specs

01-Jun-2006, 06:00 PM #6
I have never had the use of it but I also did not know it was a boot disk either. I jsut read as far as bootdisk and since we both sent it to the member we can not go wrong.

01-Jun-2006, 06:05 PM #7
Yes it is a boot disk. And also a bootable CD as well. They also have SCSI drivers if needed.

You might give it a try sometime.
Member with 239 posts.

02-Jun-2006, 01:01 AM #8
LOL, this is actually the bootdisk program that I used that gave me the error message. I was surprised cause the other times I've used it it's gone off without a hitch.

Are there any other programs that do the same thing?
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2006, 07:27 AM #9
What version of Windows do you have on this laptop?

02-Jun-2006, 09:15 AM #10
Just tried both the Floppy and CD and it worked fine.

How did you make whichever one you are using?

Of course, even if you can't get it to work, you can still have the best of both worlds - reset the admin password and not have a fully working computer with the OS and all applications. Some folks like to have it that way.

Last edited by Bob Cerelli; 02-Jun-2006 at 09:54 AM..
Member with 239 posts.

07-Jul-2006, 03:17 AM #11
For some reason I didn't get an e-mail saying you replied to the thread or I would have been back sooner.

I'm fairly certain the computer is running Windows 2000 Pro. I don't have it with me right now, but I'm fairly certain I checked.

The boot CD I tried was the one you pointed me to, as well I tried earlier versions thinking maybe they'd work with an older computer.

I burned the disc from the ISO as directed, I checked the disc and the files were on it all separated. I've done this once before on a slightly newer computer and it went off without a hitch.

This one's kind of a challenge in that I even had to search for a fair amount of time to find the power switch. And it was a switch. A sliding one. Surprise surprise.

The customer who owns the computer very much wants to get into the data he has stored on it. So either I get into it, or I just leave it alone I guess.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Jul-2006, 02:15 PM #12
Take the drive out and install it temporarily in a desktop machine with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Adapter. Copy the files off.

07-Jul-2006, 02:18 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiney
I downloaded the iso boot disk thing that I've used before to remove passwords and I put it into this old laptop and when it boots all I get is a black screen with the words ISOLINUX 3.09 2005-06-17 and nothing happens after that.
The CD image needs to be burned using a program that recognized ISO images.

A small, free program to do this can be downloaded at:http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip. It is a single executalbe that is under 200k.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

08-Jul-2006, 06:06 AM #14
When you turn the machine on without a boot disk or anything else do you have a desktop?

If you have a desktop, go to another machine and download SIW at;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/ and put it on a floppy disk or flash drive (it's a very small file).

Put the floppy disk or flash drive in the troubled machine and open the floppy or the flash drive (wherever you saved SIW). Copy the SIW application and paste it to your desktop (it does not have to be installed)

After SIW appears on the desktop, double click on it to launch the program. It will take a few seconds to launch. After SIW launches, go into the left hand pane and click on "secrets". After you click on "secrets" it should show you the administrator log in password. If it does not show the password, at the top of the page on the toolbar there is a white arrow on a blue background icon which is the page "refresh". "Refresh" the page and then it should show the administrator log in password.

The administrator password will only be shown if you are running NT or Windows 2000 Professional, it will not work with Windows XP.
Member with 239 posts.

10-Jul-2006, 03:24 AM #15
When I turn on the computer without any discs in it, I just get the screen prompting me for a password.

Thanks for all the other information everyone, I will have another crack at it when I get back to work on Tuesday. Very hard to fix a machine when you only work on it on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!