Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows .Zip file - Power User Problems - Error: "Cannot create Output File"


(!)

jonasdatum's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Location: USA
03-Jun-2006, 10:23 AM #1
Windows .Zip file - Power User Problems - Error: "Cannot create Output File"
Hello. I am using a POWER USER account, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 /w all the latest patches availible via microsoft update. I was trying to create a .zip file of a folder within the primary directroy of a backup hard drive I use.

For Example:
D:\stuff - I wanted to make a zipfile of the folder "stuff."

Then I get the following error "Cannot Create Output File."

However, if I move the folder to the destop or a subdirectory i.e. stuff/more stuff, then the .zip file is created with no problems.

Also, because user accounts [at least in my experience] have a tendency to decay, I created a freash power user account and the same problem persist.

Is this a standard security feature for power user accounts? Is there anyway I can "disable" it if it is?

Thank You.

Last edited by jonasdatum; 03-Jun-2006 at 12:41 PM..
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
03-Jun-2006, 11:04 AM #2
Are the backup drive folders already compressed?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187689/en-us
jonasdatum's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Location: USA
03-Jun-2006, 12:40 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
Are the backup drive folders already compressed?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187689/en-us
No, they are not. They are on an NT file system. Should I reformat or something? Will I be able to use Windows XPs encryption option on a FAT16?

Thanks...
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
03-Jun-2006, 02:49 PM #4
But you say they are in a "backup" hard drive -- was a backup or cloning utility used to create the data there? Was the data just copied over by normal means?

I've never run across the issue before and it seemed like the MS article would be right on if a compression utility of some kind created the drive.

How does the "fat16" question come in here? Once you copy a file from one file system to another it takes on the properties of the system you copy to -- the previous format is irrelevant.

*Note: always "copy", do not "move" files and directories from one NTFS file system to another -- or you will have permissions problems.
jonasdatum's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Location: USA
03-Jun-2006, 04:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
But you say they are in a "backup" hard drive -- was a backup or cloning utility used to create the data there? Was the data just copied over by normal means?

I've never run across the issue before and it seemed like the MS article would be right on if a compression utility of some kind created the drive.

How does the "fat16" question come in here? Once you copy a file from one file system to another it takes on the properties of the system you copy to -- the previous format is irrelevant.

*Note: always "copy", do not "move" files and directories from one NTFS file system to another -- or you will have permissions problems.
No, I just copied them - I think. Don't remember. Well, I had to wipe the system clean and perform a full install a while ago. I did have problems moving and/or copying them.

As for the fat16 quesion. I was just asking about possible solutions. I'll copy the data between the HDs, reformat it again, and then copy it back. Would that work?
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
03-Jun-2006, 06:08 PM #6
Unless there is something unusual about the folders themselves -- and there doesn't seem to be once you have copied them out of their present location -- it should be a piece of cake.
jonasdatum's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Location: USA
04-Jun-2006, 07:02 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasdatum
No, I just copied them - I think. Don't remember. Well, I had to wipe the system clean and perform a full install a while ago. I did have problems moving and/or copying them.

As for the fat16 quesion. I was just asking about possible solutions. I'll copy the data between the HDs, reformat it again, and then copy it back. Would that work?
Still not working. What the heck? I will try it with a guest account later, but what is causing this? Anything that I try to .zip in the root directory of the drive doesn't get ziped. Also, can't move the files either? I can move files withing the directroy, but nothing at the top of it?

This has to be a security feature. Is there any other account type, that isn't subject to security breaches that I can use; like backup operator or somethin'?
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
04-Jun-2006, 08:35 PM #8
Ah, ok -- the root drive.

I don't have the link in front of me -- but there may be some limit on the files and folders you can have in the root drive -- and exceeding it causes that problem. I didn't think this was an NTFS XP issue though.

I'll see if I can find it.

Also, the path you are using to extract the file to, may be relevant. You may need to specify another location, particularly if it is a long path structure.

(haven't found the old article, but I don't think it's really an XP one)

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 04-Jun-2006 at 08:45 PM..
jonasdatum's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 3,060 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Location: USA
05-Jun-2006, 03:02 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
Ah, ok -- the root drive.

I don't have the link in front of me -- but there may be some limit on the files and folders you can have in the root drive -- and exceeding it causes that problem. I didn't think this was an NTFS XP issue though.

I'll see if I can find it.

Also, the path you are using to extract the file to, may be relevant. You may need to specify another location, particularly if it is a long path structure.

(haven't found the old article, but I don't think it's really an XP one)
thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2