Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help - Lost my pictures!

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2006, 10:55 AM #1
Help - Lost my pictures!
I'm not sure where to post or what to do. I download pictures off of my digital camera into MY PICTURES. I cannot find any of my old pictures anymore! Did a virus eat my old pictures? They are gone gone gone. I read yesterday somewhere that computers only hold about 200 pictures and the pictures are not gone, but just sitting there and cannot be accessed because you have to many. I think there is some upgrade program you must install to be able to view all of your pictures. HELP HELP HELP!!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,366 posts.

03-Jun-2006, 11:27 AM #2
i never heard of that. i have over 700 pictures on my pc. an can view all of them. are you sure you didnt move or delete them? if you know the file name of them picture try to do a file search. an see if they show up.
how big is your hard drive?. with all the pics i have on my pc, i found it hard to keep track of them so i use picasa 2 from google. its a good program for photos. here is the link
http://picasa.google.com/

03-Jun-2006, 11:37 AM #3
I'm sure I didn't delete them. I'm pretty sure I didn't move them. However, my husband spends more time on the computer than me. I think they are gone. Can you offer any help. I am so upset.
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

Experience: still learning
03-Jun-2006, 11:38 AM #4
How big is your hard drive? I have over 800 or so and still have all of them. Never heard of just pictures leaving. Did the icon My pictures leave also or is it still there without the pictures installed? What are you running, XP, 98, 2000 etc. Did the new pictures you downloaded install?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2006, 11:42 AM #5
Yes it is possible there is a rule about root directories only holding 256 files and then the computer will not hold any more in that directory but MY PICTURES is not a directory it is a sub-directory. I would check the recycle bin and look for a lot of pic starting like 0000001.jpg or some filename like that. Restore what you find right away and move them to another sub-directory.

You may want to enlist the help of a friend that knows a bit about computers basically this is going to be like hunting for the illusive bunny rabbit.

The pictures may be gone but how did you take the pictures from your camera to the computer? Actually I would look back in the camera the pictures might be there still, another thing you may want to call the tech support for the camera they might have a solution.

You can try this article I found it may help I would suggest printing it out for reference.

Recovering Images from Memory Cards

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1842882,00.asp
Computer Specs
Member with 9,521 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jun-2006, 11:45 AM #6
Click on Start > Search > Pictures music videos > choose Pictures and photos ... then search...

I have over 3000 photos... no problem...

03-Jun-2006, 11:47 AM #7
I am running XP. I still have MY PICTURES, but none of the icons are there with my photos. The photos are now loading individually instead of in one folder like before. My old pictures have been deleted from my camera. Ironically, the pictures that are actually downloaded now on my computer are also still on my camera.

I don't know anybody else that knows alot about computers. Thank you for any help you have.

I already checked my recycle bin - there are no pictures there.
Computer Specs
Member with 826 posts.

Experience: still learning
03-Jun-2006, 11:52 AM #8
Did your computer have a shutdown due to a powerfailure or not shut down properly. I have almost the same problem with the pictures downloading, individually, which was caused by a powerfailure shutdown. I read somewhere where it can effect the drivers on the computer. I have my pictures but it won't print them, or download them the way it used to do. Have to use a different system. Just shooting for a possible problem. By chance, are you both the primary user or do you each have your own accounts? Did you ask your husband if he might be playing a joke on you?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 391 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2006, 11:56 AM #9
Not that this is gonna be any help towards the problem at hand, but I have over 60,000 pictures on my machine and one directory has 10 directories with 1000 images each, that I'm too lazy to sort.
Running XP Pro, I doubt it's a Windows thing.

03-Jun-2006, 11:57 AM #10
Shamou-
That was it!!!! I found them all. It looks like they are now in a different picture file under my husband's name. He downloads lots of songs and videos - somehow something must have gotten rearranged.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!! Although I'm not sure how to put them back where they were, but its all good anyway! Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,521 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jun-2006, 12:41 PM #11
Glad I could help... enjoy your pictures and have a good day...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!