Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue Screen: STOP 0xC000021A {Fatal System Error}

(!)

Member with 119 posts.

04-Jun-2006, 05:00 PM #1
Exclamation Blue Screen: STOP 0xC000021A {Fatal System Error}
Hi everyone,

My friend just began getting a fatal system error when he tries turning his computer on. It loads up all and displays the background, and then crashes. The error is a blue screen:

STOP: C0000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I've been unable to find anything to correct this problem. It can boot up into safe mode but not safe mode with networking capabilities (it then does the same thing). Anyone know of any solutions? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
04-Jun-2006, 05:06 PM #2
Since you can boot to Safe Mode, the problem is likely being caused by a 3rd party application -- perhaps an antivirus, spyware or firewall program.

Here are MS articles you can have a gander at:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x21a

But to cut to the chase I would recommend "clean boot" troubleshooting:

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode –

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

>> if none of this gets you a "normal" boot -- try going to the Device Manager and disable the Networking device, since that seems to be a factor here some how.
Member with 119 posts.

08-Jun-2006, 05:43 PM #3
No luck... still getting the same problem...
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
08-Jun-2006, 08:08 PM #4
Have you tried doing a System Restore from Safe Mode?

Start > run: msconfig > Launch System restore and choose a calendar date before the problem began occuring.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2006, 08:15 PM #5
Unhappy STOP: C0000021a Error
I'm having the same problem. I tried repairing and reinstalling Windows, but on reboot, I still got the BSOD with that error. The second set of numbers is: 0XC0000034, and the numbers in parenthesis are all zeros except for the x as the second character.

I've been all through the MS knowledge base, but nothing helps.

I was dual booting my computer with Win 98 and Win XP, so I logged in on Win 98. All my partitions showed except the one containing XP. That one didn't show. I ran CHKDSK on the drive containing XP from the recovery console, and it showed the partition had no errors. I also checked the disk from Partition Magic with no problems.

Each time I tried to repair Windows, the Windows CD saw the previous installation on the partition which seems to disappear from other copies of Windows.

I just installed Win XP to the partition that used to hold Win 98, and the drive with my old edition of Win XP doesn't show up in that either, so I can't access any of my stuff on that drive.

Yes, I know, I need to back up frequently, and I do that on my newer computer, but I only use the old one for going on line, so I didn't back it up. I'd really like to at least get back my bookmarks and things.

When the problem occurred was right after AVG updated. That was the only change which occured, and my computer hasn't started since.

I'm running WinXP with no service packs on that computer, because it is so old, it has no BIOS updates that will support anything higher. That's why it's an on line only computer. It runs great for that, and I'd rather not use my new one, (which I use only for my photography business), online.
Thanks, Kathi
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2006, 08:21 PM #6
Unhappy STOP: C0000021a Error
I'm having the same problem. I tried repairing and reinstalling Windows, but on reboot, I still got the BSOD with that error. The second set of numbers is: 0XC0000034, and the numbers in parenthesis are all zeros except for the x as the second character.

I've been all through the MS knowledge base, but nothing helps.

I was dual booting my computer with Win 98 and Win XP, so I logged in on Win 98. All my partitions showed except the one containing XP. That one didn't show. I ran CHKDSK on the drive containing XP from the recovery console, and it showed the partition had no errors. I also checked the disk from Partition Magic with no problems.

Each time I tried to repair Windows, the Windows CD saw the previous installation on the partition which seems to disappear from other copies of Windows.

I just installed Win XP to the partition that used to hold Win 98, and the drive with my old edition of Win XP doesn't show up in that either, so I can't access any of my stuff on that drive.

Yes, I know, I need to back up frequently, and I do that on my newer computer, but I only use the old one for going on line, so I didn't back it up. I'd really like to at least get back my bookmarks and things.

When the problem occurred was right after AVG updated. That was the only change which occured, and my computer hasn't started since.

I'm running WinXP with no service packs on that computer, because it is so old, it has no BIOS updates that will support anything higher. That's why it's an on line only computer. It runs great for that, and I'd rather not use my new one, (which I use only for my photography business), online.
Thanks, Kathi

P.S. My machine won't boot into safe mode, or last known good configuration. I till get the same stop error.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Dec-2006, 11:23 PM #7
Blue Screen of Death still and System Restore won't work
The error I am getting is:

Quote:
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000022 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
I have tried booting into safe mode and happily I can get that far at least. But I don't know what to do next to fix the problem.

I tried doing what Rog suggested but it didn't change anything. I disabled those startup items with no apparent change.

When I am in safe mode I can not go back to a previous system state. I go to system restore but when I click on it I get an error message where the only option is to say OK:

Quote:
rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll.
I can't get the machine to boot up normally, this is serious! Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by Goldeneyes; 06-Dec-2006 at 11:37 PM..
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2006, 11:49 PM #8
I wish you luck, I have looked all over the internet, and haven't found a solution yet. I am tearing my hair out!

There is something in the MS knowledge base about Go Back causing that problem, but it isn't the cause of my woes. If you have Go Back, you might want to search the knowledge base. I haven't got a link right now, but I just typed the stop eror number in and it was one of the first things that came up.

Kathi
Computer Specs

Experience: Intermediate
07-Dec-2006, 12:10 AM #9
Microsoft Knows about the problem or maybe just similar problems
Kathi- you and I are needing answers...and I feel like everybody else is sleeping happily with their working computers while we are awake and worried.

I think I finally found where Microsoft has some troubleshooting ideas for this error message. Well, at least the first part of the message. I am going to bed so I will try something in the morrow.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158376/en-us

Neither of these looks great but maybe we'll get lucky.
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2006, 09:01 AM #10
Thanks Golden Eyes, I couldn't try the Dr Watson solution, because I can't get into Windows or the drive that contains my old installation. This morning I tried to boot into the old installation, and I think it installed a new edition of XP to that partition.

I can't get into that installation without activating immediately, so I can't check to see if it wiped my drive. I've got to call microsoft and activate.

On top of that, my router and DSL modem aren't speaking to each other, and I can't change the needed settings because neither one will accept my user name and password, and neither one will reset. I can't connect my old machine to the internet at the moment, and to connect this one, I have to unplug the router, and plug the modem into my computer. I think I'll try my DSL provider first, then if I have to, I'll call Linksys for that problem. Direct cable connections between computers were so much simpler than routers!

Kathi
Junior Member with 17 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 10:18 AM #11
hey cathy did u try chkdsk /p ans /r ??????????????
give that a try
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2006, 09:11 PM #12
Thanks, I did that, and it showed no errors. I'm going to put that drive into a drive enclosure and save what I can on my new computer. Then I'll reformat and repartition the whole drive and start from scratch.

I think it will be faster than trying to troubleshoot it, and if there is anything vitally wrong with the disk, I'll find out that way. The drive hasn't been formatted since I bought the computer in 1997, so I guess it's time for it to either go bad, or for a reformat.

I guess I won't lose too much, and at least I won't have to use my work computer on the internet. I've got so much protection on this one right now that I can't even download!

Experience: Computer Illiterate
14-Mar-2007, 07:08 PM #13
Kathi,
did you guys buy new RAM memory chips?
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2007, 09:26 PM #14
No, it wasn't the RAM.

I only had a 40 gig hard drive, so I bought a new 80 gig one and installed that and wiped the old one. It was easier, and I felt like I had real problems that couldn't be solved any other way.

I saved what I could and just let the rest go.
Member with 119 posts.

16-Mar-2007, 02:13 PM #15
Hey... I just got an Alert for this thread... didn't get any before so I didn't realize people have been posting... I honestly couldn't figure out what was the problem and my friend bought a new computer so I abandoned my attempts to fix it... sorry, I wish I could be of more help
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!