Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: .EXE files will not run!!!!!

(!)

Member with 343 posts.

13-Jun-2006, 10:18 PM #1
Angry Solved: .EXE files will not run!!!!!
This all started with iTunes - I could not get it to run - I have installed and uninstalled a few times. I still can't run the .exe file for iTunes; I was planning to wait awhile and when I had some time I was going to call Apple; iTunes isn't that important to me. But, today I tried to run a different downloaded .exe and it wouldn't run either.

I went to the Microsoft site to see if I could find any info about installing programs. From what I found, there are a few ways to troubleshoot/fix installation problems. Here are the ones I found and my comments on why they didn't work for me:

Reinstall the InstallScript engine

1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Open the following folder: C:\Program Files\InstallShield\Developer\Redist\Language Independent\i386.
3. Double-click Isscrpt.msi.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

Under C:\Program Files\InstallShield, I don't have a Developer folder. The only folders I have are Driver, engine, IScript, Professional, and Update Service. I searched the whole C drive, including hidden folders, for the Isscrpt.msi in case it was somewhere else, but couldn't find it.

Register Idriver and Msiexec

To register Idriver and Msiexec, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Developer\7\Intel 32\IDriver.exe" /REGSERVER, and then click OK.
2. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /REGSERVER, and then click OK.

When I try step 1, I get the message that it refers to a location that is unavailable.
When I try step 2, I see the hour glass for barely a second and then nothing happens.

Change Permissions
Log on to the Windows XP computer with an administrator user account, and verify that you have the correct permissions for the C:\Windows\Installer folder. Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Click Folder Options on the Tools menu.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
5. Locate the folder C:\Windows\Installer.
6. Right-click the Installer folder, and then click Properties.
7. Click the Security tab.
8. Click System, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected.
9. Click Administrators, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected.
10. Click your user name, and then verify that the Full control check box is selected.

Under C:\Windows, I don't have a folder called Installer.

1. At a command prompt, type: dcomcnfg.exe. The Distributed COM Configuration Properties dialog box is displayed.
2. Click the Default Security tab.
3. In the Default Access Permissions section, click Edit.
4. Ensure that you have "Allow Access" beside your name.
5. If you do not have "Allow Access" next to your name, either modify an existing profile or create a new profile that has the necessary permissions.
6. Apply all the changes and attempt to run Setup.

After step 1, I don't get a dialog box with tabs. I get a window called Component Services and the main folder is Console Root. Under that are three folders: Component Services, Event Viewer (Local), and Services (Local).

I searched the C drive again and there is a dcomcnfg.exe folder under C:\i386 and another one under C:\Windows\System32. There are two more files with dcomcnfg:

C:\Windows\Prefetch\DCOMCNFG.EXE-09BE2159.pf C:\Windows\Prefetch\DCOMCNFG.EXE-2503EEF7.pf

Is it possible that there is already something corrupted in Windows or with the Windows Installer? I've run AdAware; AVG is running, and so is the Windows Firewall.

Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jun-2006, 10:22 PM #2
thats wierd... i had problems like this before and a simple restart fixed it...
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jun-2006, 03:59 AM #3
You could try installing Windows Installer 3.1 v2 and see if that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2006, 09:52 AM #4
I was going to say what SP are you on for XP?
Are you current with antivirus and spyware scans as well?
Member with 343 posts.

14-Jun-2006, 05:11 PM #5
Uptodate
Yes - AVG virus software and SP2!
Account Disabled with 117 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2006, 08:54 PM #6
Are you sure that you have permission to see the folders that you say are not available? In Windows Explorer click/display the Windows directory, click Tools, Folder Options, View and then be sure that Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. You should see all the folders/files that you say don't exist.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 02:41 PM #7
hi guys, io have exactly the same problem as MeinDCIC, just that i have it with flighjt simulator x. has anyone found an answer to this topic? i have tryed everything please can someone help me, i am running xp home sp2
jasaiyajin jasaiyajin is offline jasaiyajin has a Profile Picture
Member with 230 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 03:25 PM #8
Registry may have been modified so visit http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm and get the exe registry restoration file.

Or turn off AVG, it may be stopping your exe files from loading.

Are all executables not working?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 09:35 PM #9
alllll .exe work only flight simulator doesn't, tryed installing from safemode and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 09:53 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloaRichter View Post
alllll .exe work only flight simulator doesn't, tryed installing from safemode and got "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime"
Please don't post your problems in someone else's thread. Start your own.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!