Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Following File is missing or corrupt:\windows\systen32\c_437.nls

(!)

Senior Member with 115 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2006, 12:24 AM #1
Following File is missing or corrupt:\windows\system32\c_437.nls
Help. Please. I have this computer that i let my cousin borrow. It was working and just got fixed. When i got it back, it boots up and cannot load windows. It tells me this and then reboots and repeats forever:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\window\system32\c_437.nls
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up using original set up CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I dont know what happened because my cousin says that it happened while he was gone and he did nothing to it. I want repair it but i dont have the original windows because the windows was pre installed into it. I need help because i dont know where to start.

My computer info:
Presario 5412RSH
HD:Samsung s/n:soojj30x879226sp0802n
p/n:0653j1fx817004
Windows XP SP 2

Last edited by incadudeF; 15-Jun-2006 at 12:30 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
15-Jun-2006, 12:47 AM #2
If you have a Windows XP CD or can download a set of boot disks from Microsoft, you may be able to resolve this by booting to the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;314058&

Also, if you have CD burning Software that supports .iso files you can create a bootable CD with the Recovery Console from the file provided on this link:

http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729...y+console.html

You must unzip the package and open cmdcon.iso on a system that has burning software with a writable CD in the drive. Then you must have the CD first in the boot order and boot with it.

Once in the Recovery Console, at the C:\windows prompt, type and enter:

copy c:\I386\C_437.NLS c:\windows\system32

This assumes your boot drive is 'c' and you have cabinet files present in a c:\I386 directory.

There are only two spaces in the above command line, after "copy" and after the file name

15-Jun-2006, 12:57 AM #3
You must unzip the package and open cmdcon.iso on a system that has burning software with a writable CD in the drive. Then you must have the CD first in the boot order and boot with it.

This assumes your boot drive is 'c' and you have cabinet files present in a c:\I386 directory.

There are only two spaces in the above command line, after "copy" and after the file name

Thanks for your help but when i download it do i copy image to a cd. and then insert that cd into my broken PC??? Please im not that experienced in computers.

Then you must have the CD first in the boot order and boot with it.<---- could you explain this better fo me.
Computer Specs

15-Jun-2006, 08:29 AM #4
No you do not "copy" the unzipped file to a CD. You must have CD burning software which automatically associates .iso extensions with it. Then you just "run" it and your burning software will open -- you then just folloow the normal prompts.

If this does not work for you, read the help file on your burning software to see how to burn (not build) .iso or "image" files.

Some computer are configured to look for disks in the floppy drive first, others in the CD-ROM or DVD drive. If the file is properly burned and you simply boot back to windows with it, you must set a BIOS option to configure the boot order.

Watch the first data on your boot screens to see what key to press to enter setup. This is the BIOS. You will find the boot order option there.

On some computers, such as Dells, pressing the f12 key early in the boot process allows you to choose which IDE device to boot from

12-Aug-2006, 02:24 AM #5
Can you tell what happened or what caused this. I just want to know so i wont repeat it with my new pc.
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2006, 09:31 AM #6
Probably a disk error over which you have no control caused the file to become damaged or deleted.

15-Aug-2006, 03:04 AM #7
i dont know how this could have happened because i just got a new harddrive and a new windows xp installed into it right before this happened
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2006, 11:23 AM #8
I don't either -- a bad shutdown perhaps, or power outage?

16-Aug-2006, 01:29 AM #9
So is the hard drive the problem or is it the OS If i buy another windows XP and installed it would it work???
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Mar-2007, 10:00 PM #10
Getting Acces is denied message when trying to copy

There are only two spaces in the above command line, after "copy" and after the file name.

Thanks for all of your help. I have created the recovery cd and can get all the way up to the copy point and after attempting to copy the nls file I receive an Access is denied message. When the recovery console first boots up I am asked for an administrator password. I just press enter and I get to the command prompt so I don't think that there is a password set but I don't know why I am getting the Access is denied message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!