Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lost admin password

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2006, 05:58 AM #1
Lost admin password
Here is what I did that got me into this mess, if you just want to see what my problem is look at the next post.

I downloaded a program tilled MS PowerToys from MS's website. I installed the program and ran it. I was attempting to set the program to allow me to bypass the startup screen (the screen that asks for your password and asks you which user accout you want to use). I did this because I only had one user, and had no password. But when I would boot it still made me click on the users name.

So in Powertoys I selected Logon, Autologon. I then checked the box "automatically logon at system startup". It asked me to create a password, so I created a password.
There is a screen shot of what I did on this page:
http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jak...indows_xp.html

I also clicked on Logon, Settings then selected Do Not Show User's Name on system Startup.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 05:58 AM #2
Actual problem
I restarted my computer and it says that the password does not match the correct password. (It automatically says that, I don't type anything in). Then it goes to the windows startup screen where you choose the acount you want to use. It now lists only the Admin account. I click on the admin account and it asks for the password. I don't think I ever created and admin password, but I have tried all of my usuall passwords and nothing works. So I am stuck on that screen.

SO ULTIMATELY MY PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT KNOW MY ADMIN PASSWORD AND I NEED IT TO LOGON.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 05:59 AM #3
What I ahve done to attempt to solve the problem
I have tryed to boot into safe mode. I start my computer up and tap on F5 (it' not F8 on my computer for some reason), then it has a few options. One of which is "Boot in Safe Mode". I attempt to arrow to that option, but I can not move. This is not a gui, so I can not use my mouse. My keyboard doesn't work once I get to that screen.

I actually called Microsoft and paid them $35 to help me (I was refunded because they ultimately did not help me fix the problem), and they had me do this same thing (tap F5 and go into safe mode). They said the reason my keyboard doesn't work on that screen is because I am using a USB keyboard, and USB keyboards usually don't work with safe mode (?).
My normal (non-USB) keyboard input does not work, that is why I am using a USB keyboard. So I can not use a normal keyboard.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 06:00 AM #4
Further trouble:
So I have gotten so annoyed by this problem I decided just to completely reinstall windows. So I put the windows disc in, set the bios to boot from a CD and restart my computer. When my computer boots it says press any key to boot from CD, and I typing on keys, but it just doen not recognize that I am pressing anything on my keyboard and it just boots to the hard drive. So once again my keyboard is not working when I need it to. I have never had a problem with my keyboard before this, and it works fine in BIOS and when I am trying to type the password in in the startup menu.

PLEASE HELP ME.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2006, 06:12 AM #5
You have had an active last 10 minutes or so WOW! You should wait for a few and let someone try to help you with the original problem, now it is probably more complicated.

Have you been successful at starting or doing the re-installation? If so you will have to finish that before I can give you the password fix.

Last edited by ozrom1e; 22-Jun-2006 at 06:59 AM..
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 07:27 AM #6
I only stated one problem, I just broke it up to make it easier to read. What do you mean "successful at starting"? As I wrote, I can not get past the startup page, and I also can not boot from CD. I explain everything in the previous posts.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,665 posts.

22-Jun-2006, 07:50 AM #7
Since you seem to have multiple problems (apparently contaminated files) and have an installation/recovery disk I would go to the hard drive manufacturers site and download their zero fill utility (they will have it listed as a low level format utility).

Zero fill (wipe the drive) the drive, then re-install your OS. When you re-install the OS, Windows should find the drive as "new unformatted". Let Windows format the drive and re-install the OS.

Before starting, I would access BIOS and set the boot sequence to 1st Floppy Drive, 2nd CD-ROM and 3rd Hard Drive.
Member with 11,665 posts.

22-Jun-2006, 07:54 AM #8
EDITED

Non applicable solution.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 09:09 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by win2kpro
Since you seem to have multiple problems (apparently contaminated files) and have an installation/recovery disk I would go to the hard drive manufacturers site and download their zero fill utility (they will have it listed as a low level format utility).

Zero fill (wipe the drive) the drive, then re-install your OS. When you re-install the OS, Windows should find the drive as "new unformatted". Let Windows format the drive and re-install the OS.

Before starting, I would access BIOS and set the boot sequence to 1st Floppy Drive, 2nd CD-ROM and 3rd Hard Drive.
But how do I run that software on my computer since I can't figure out how to boot from the CD drive?
Member with 165 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Jun-2006, 09:36 AM #10
Chesk www.ebcd.pcministry.com and download their little program you would be able to reset the admin password.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 09:45 AM #11
What is happening here the member is quite in a hurry and could not wait for a response from somebody here so he tried to start either a repair-install or a full re-installation of Windows. Since I did not know how far he got I suggested for him to let me know how far he got with this installation because if it did not start it is ok but if it started it is problem because it will be stuck in a installation loop.

I will give him the solution to his password problem and also tell him to read the documentation first. This is important so you know how to make the disk and run the program.

Forgotten Admin or User's Password = Win NT/2K/XP

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 11:05 AM #12
Thank you very much for the assistance, but how do I use the utillity you provided? I am unable to boot from the CD.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 11:51 AM #13
Here try this and print the article for reference.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html

Once in Safe Mode you find the bboot order and modify it so the cd rom is the first one.
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 01:13 PM #14
I have been trying to get it into safe mode. I can not get into safe mode through either of the methods since I can't login to an account and since my keyboard won't work on the screen that I get after tapping F5 upon startup (F8 on most computers).
Computer Specs

22-Jun-2006, 04:35 PM #15
I seems that you can not get into Safe Mode anyway you are asked to. There has got to be something with your computer and I do not think it can be done thru this Forum. I would suggest having someone look at your computer that can figure out what is wrong, it does not matter whether it is a repair person or just someone who knows computers.

I suggest to call the manufacturer of the computer tech support they may be able to help you. There is one other thing that might cause this and I would like you to run a HijackThis

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/html/downloads.html
Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!