Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP is Behaving Strangely and Won't Let me Print

(!)

pegs pegs is offline pegs has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2006, 06:20 PM #1
Angry Windows XP is Behaving Strangely and Won't Let me Print
This started a couple of days ago, and I'm not sure what caused it -- or if the two problems are even related. I've always just gone straight into Windows XP whenever I booted up my computer (Gateway Pentium III). Suddenly Windows XP started asking me to sign in before it would continue on to the Desktop.

So I went into START>RUN and typed "control userpasswords2" and, sure enough, the box that says, ""Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" was checked. I have no idea how that happened. So I unchecked it. When I booted up again it didn't ask me to sign in -- it went straight to the Desktop, but ALL MY DESKTOP ITEMS WERE GONE!!! It was as if I had just installed Windows XP that day! It even welcomed me to Windows XP!

So I went back in and re-checked the box so it would ask me to sign in, which it did. When I signed in (I'm the ONLY user, by the way) it went back to my normal desktop. I guess I can live with signing in every time, although it's a pain.

But here's the BAD PART! It also STOPPED RECOGNIZING MY PRINTERS! I have two parallel printers that are connected through an A/B switch on LPT1. When I try to print to either one, nothing happens -- the print jobs just queue up in the print spool. I've tried disconnecting each printer from the A/B switch and plugging it straight into the parallel port, but still nothing. The printers themselves are fine (when I push the "test print" buttons on them, they print out).

Just focusing on one printer (HP Laserjet 6P), I went into Printer Settings and tried to delete the printer and reinstall the driver. It said it was deleting it, but all it really did was grey it out (at the same time, it also greyed out my second printer, so they now both show up as printers, just greyed out). I forged ahead, however, and reinstalled the driver, which it renamed "HP Laserjet 6P (Copy 2)". It made no difference -- it still refuses to print.

Can anyone tell me why both of these things would happen at the same time???!! I've run Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG Antivirus -- none of which indicated any problems. I'm at my wits end! I can live with signing in, but I need to print!!!

Help!!!

Peggy

NEXT DAY:

Okay, it seems nobody has an answer

Let's ignore the first part, about the sign in, and assume it has nothing to do with the non-printing problem. I DESPERATELY need to be able to print!

I've now uninstalled LPT1 and reinstalled it. I've uninstalled both printer drivers and reinstalled them. I've uninstalled any programs that I installed in the last couple of days. I've run AVG Antivirus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot.

When I try to print a document, it just acts as if the printer isn't even turned on. It behaves this way with BOTH of my printers, so I know it isn't a printer problem.

Is it possible for my parallel port to have gone bad?? Surely there's someone out there who might have some knowledge of this kind of problem.

Last edited by pegs; 26-Jun-2006 at 11:26 AM..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 958 posts.

Experience: Always interested in new experiences
26-Jun-2006, 07:08 PM #2
Did you try a system restore to a time before the problem started?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jun-2006, 08:39 PM #3
Have you installed any Windows Updates before this happened or and ohther updates?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!