Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

runaway cursor

(!)

Member with 76 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Jul-2006, 05:19 PM #1
runaway cursor
memory question

Dell Dimension 8200, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP SP2 + all other updates and patches, Dell 1702 FP, Brother MFC-420-cn, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, CCleaner, Spybot, AVG Pro.

1. This system is almost four years old, and, until a couple months ago, we were still using the OEM mouse (a basic MS 2-button and scroll wheel). Then, it just dogged out. Seemed like it wasn't making proper contact, and cleaning did no good. Also, the cursor would occasionally scoot off-screen, all on its own.

We replaced it with another basic 2-button and scroll (a Belkin), and I was unsatisfied from the beginning. Oddly enough, after only two days, the Belkin exhibited the same rather sluggish movement, improper contact -- and the cursor still scooted off at times.

Roughly two weeks ago, we got a Microsoft Optical (2 button w/scroll), and under Device Manager it shows up as HID-compliant mouse, with the driver version 5.1.2600. This mouse works very well -- except that the cursor still sometimes scoots off on its own.

I've started to suspect that the scooting cursor has nothing to do with the mouse, but I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Last week, I did a clean install, and everything went smoothly. The cursor, however, still scoots when it wants to. So far, this is a minor problem, but I would like to correct it, if possible, before it gets worse.

Thanks to everyone.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jul-2006, 06:22 PM #2
I recently had this problem and the following fixed it.

Open the Mouse folder>pointer options and uncheck "Enhance pointer precision".

Let me know if it helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2006, 06:28 PM #3
Try blowing out the USB/mouse port and make sure it is connected correctly. Also, try using it without the mouse pad and make sure that mouse pad is clean.
Member with 76 posts.

03-Jul-2006, 06:35 PM #4
Thanks so much, bicycle bill !! I did just as you suggested, and so far the cursor hasn't been anymore scooting around. My boyfriend checked it out with a game he likes to play, when he had found it most irritating, and says the game went without a hitch. I'll post in again within a couple of days, to let you know if all is still well. Thank-you again!
Member with 76 posts.

03-Jul-2006, 06:40 PM #5
Thanks to you, also, ericksrocks. I'll have to wait for some assistance before I check out the USB mouseport. Getting to the back of our set-up, and trying to see what's going on there, requires someone to hold my bifocals at just the right angle, and somebody else to hold the trouble light!
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,092 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jul-2006, 07:04 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rani52
Thanks so much, bicycle bill !! I did just as you suggested, and so far the cursor hasn't been anymore scooting around. My boyfriend checked it out with a game he likes to play, when he had found it most irritating, and says the game went without a hitch. I'll post in again within a couple of days, to let you know if all is still well. Thank-you again!
Well good. Hope you have this problem fixed. BTW i am 76 years old and ride my bike here in sunny Florida every day weather permitting.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2006, 09:35 AM #7
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!