Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

can any plz tell me how to format my laptop????

(!)

Senior Member with 138 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2006, 10:54 PM #1
can any plz tell me how to format my laptop????
something is wrong with my laptop it has been a while that it turns off automatically. i don't know why i even got help from here n did scan it. i think everything is all good but still i can't find out what is problem of it that it turns off, it didn't used to turn off quickly but today it has turned off more than 20 times.
So i thought to re-format it... but i don't know how, i have this recovery CD that i got from the store but it doesn't say how to use it or what so ever...

Can any please help me with it? its really bugging me... THANKS in advance
Senior Member with 237 posts.

Experience: I know what I don't know
22-Jul-2006, 11:27 PM #2
yaseem,
you understand that you will loose all data with a re-format clean install. Using the mfg's recovery CD will make the laptop exactly the way it was the day you bought it. Some recovery CD's have a choice of just replacing the OS and leaving everything else intact. This does not guarantee that the problem will be fixed. Do you have anything not backed up, do you want to try just this OS, or do you want a HDD reformat and clean install?
Please advise.

22-Jul-2006, 11:35 PM #3
well i don't know what OS or HDD is but I have saved important stuff on cds so i don't need anything on my laptop i just want to fix it... cause its really annoying...i want it all clean the way it was when i had it first... thanks alot for your quick reply

so which ever u think will fix the problem would be perfect

Last edited by yasmeen143; 22-Jul-2006 at 11:41 PM..

22-Jul-2006, 11:50 PM #4
OK
Is there only one recovery disk labled with the Mfg's name, or are there more than one? Disks like Office or other applications will be installed later if required. Look closely for Disk1,disk2 etc. Now send me the info on the CD lables.

22-Jul-2006, 11:54 PM #5
its just one cd which is called >
product recovery DVD-ROM
Toshiba
Satellite P30

Disc 1 of 1

then there is a product key number at the back of it

23-Jul-2006, 12:23 AM #6
in case u need more infor it also says this at the side

For technical support: refer to toshiba support section on the user's manual.

this is a backup DVD-ROM only! May be used with Toshiba computer system. Will not function no other computer systems.
The software included on this DVD ROM was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory.

Support for these products provided by Toshiba for Distribution Only with New TOSHIBA PC

23-Jul-2006, 12:34 AM #7
Good,
My next question was to be ,find your product key. Write this down someplace and double
check it for accuracy.
Put the recovery disk in the CD/DVD drive and turn off the computer, close drive if open.
Restart the computer. If the computer boots from the disk in the CD/DVD drive, the recovery process has started.
But, if the computer boots to windows, we have to make some changes in the system setup boot configuration. Let's not go there now unless you restart and it boots to windows.

If it boots from the CD/DVD recovery will automatically start. In the beginning it will ask questions like :
Do you really want to restore your computer?
This will erase all the data.
Are you sure you really want to do this?
Answer "yes" to these types of questionS.
Before reformatting it may ask, quick or full, choose full.
If it asks for file type, choose NFTS.

At some point you may have to enter time,date,year,time zone, and product key.

Like I said, the ones I've done are automatic except when they need you to answer questions like listed above.
When done, go straight to Windows Up-dates and install all available.
Let me know if it boots to Windows, or any more questions before you start.

23-Jul-2006, 01:18 AM #8
k so what i did was... put the recovery cd in the drive n then restart my laptop, den nothing happened i was back on my windows... so i guess we need to change some stuff or was that right what i did???

23-Jul-2006, 01:31 AM #9
What you did is right. It tells us that the hard drive boots before the cd/dvd drive. therefore the recovery disk did not get a chance to boot.
We have to enter system setup or bios settings and change the boot order for the drives. CD/DVD has to be first boot device and hard drive second or third.
Do you know hoe to do this ? advise.

23-Jul-2006, 01:37 AM #10
no dear i don't know anything about that, cause i havn't done anything like that yet. so please tell me how?

23-Jul-2006, 01:48 AM #11
OK, Answer this question. When computer first starts, is there a Toshiba logo displayed on the screen until Windows starts? Or is there a black page that lists the components, cpu memory, primary master, primary slave, etc. If you never see a black page press "esc" as soon as logo appears, dose black page with computer components now dicplay?
There is info on that page we need on how to enter setup.

23-Jul-2006, 01:53 AM #12
yeah so when i first restart my computer there is a page comes its all black n in bottom it show press F2 for set up n press 12 for something..... its fast so i can't read them all then it shows windows xp in the whole page then the computer starts

23-Jul-2006, 02:02 AM #13
Good
Do it again and see if the second one is press " something " for boot config. If its not we can use the F2, but going straight to boot config is easier.

23-Jul-2006, 02:07 AM #14
no the 2nd one is saying press F12 for device selection menu, so what do u think?

k so i had to edit this one... cause i have to sleep now thankssssssssssssssssss alot for ur help i will check ur message tomorrow... good night

Last edited by yasmeen143; 23-Jul-2006 at 02:18 AM..

23-Jul-2006, 02:51 AM #15
We will use F2 method. restart and as soon as the blackpage appears tap F2 continuously until a blue screen appears, this is the first of 4 or 5 pages of setup sereinscreens. Navigation on this page or how to see the next page is explained at the bottom of each page.
usually you will be using up/down/left/right arrows, +/- on number pad, enter and escape.
Don't worry about mistakes, the lest page is an exit page and one of the choices is to "Exit without saving changes", then you can start over.
Lets restart computer. tap F2 until you get to blue screen, go to next page, next page, until you find page with
First boot device drive name
Second boot dev. drive name
Third boot dev. drive name
etc.

Scroll or arrow down until first boot is highlited. Then cycle thru available drives until it is CD/DVD or just CD if no dvd is shown.
Do the same with second boot and make it HDD0 or HDD1, what ever the lowest HDD number is.
now navigate to the exit page, select "exit and save changes",yes.yes.
restart, and recovery should boot from the DVD.
It's easier to do than write about. Let me know how it went.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!