Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"CMOS Checksum Failed"

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Aug-2006, 01:53 AM #1
"CMOS Checksum Failed"
After I updated my ASUS K8V-X mobo to the 1012.003 version and rebooted, the message "CMOS Checksum Failed" appeared at the boot screen. It gave me the option to hit F2 and enter Setup, or hit F3 to load defaults and continue. I hit F3.

So far I haven't encountered any problems. It's just the Checksum Failed message that worries me.

How can I fix this?
Senior Member with 1,429 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Aug-2006, 01:57 AM #2
this my be a sign the battery is failing or the reset jumper in not on correct.
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2006, 01:58 AM #3
CMOS Checksum Error
If you have arrived here through a search engine, and there's no menu to the left click here!

Note: Includes Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded and Checksum Failed

Explanation: A checksum is an error-detecting code containing a numerical verification used to compare the BIOS settings stored in the CMOS memory. Each time the system is started this number is recomputed and checked against the stored value. If they do not match, an error message is generated to tell you that the CMOS memory contents may have been corrupted and therefore some settings may be wrong. BIOS's react in different ways when encountering this type of error. Some will warn the user and then continue on with whatever settings were in the CMOS. Others will assume that the settings that were in the CMOS were corrupted and will load default values stored in the BIOS chip by the manufacturer as a safety measure. Others will correct the settings and proceed through the boot process. The error message will indicate to you what your system is doing.

Diagnosis: The most common cause of checksum errors in CMOS is a battery that is losing power. Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, and motherboard problems can also affect the stored values.

Recommendation: You should make sure that all of the BIOS settings in the system are correct, by rebooting the system, going into BIOS setup and double-checking all the values.

* Replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.
* Scan your system for viruses.
* Look for other signs of motherboard problems.
* Check your computers power supply to insure that it is being properly cooled and it is providing the correct voltages.

This was taken from http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios...ess_errors.htm

You shouldnt worry too much about it since you flashed your mobo to a newer drive set... just load up the defaults and if you where overclocking or anything go to the bios and redo whatever settings you had.

If not and you where running normally then don't worry about it since it's just a message telling you something changed in the bios...
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2006, 01:58 AM #4
Next time you reboot you shouldn't see the message again .
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Aug-2006, 02:10 AM #5
I seem to have a lot of bad experiences with computers
Thanks for the replies at this late (early?) hour. I hope I don't see the message again...I'll check on the next reboot and report back.

Last edited by Alias84; 13-Aug-2006 at 10:12 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!