Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need help! XP problem or AOL problem...

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2006, 07:37 PM #1
Need help! XP problem or AOL problem...
I posted this a few minutes ago, but may have lost it on my computer that's giving me problems. So if it shows up again, I do apologize.

I'm having a strange computer problem that just started about 8/10 or 8/11. It was after an MS update, something about hackers. It first started when I was on AOL switching to another screen name, then I'd get a message that said "AOL error message," and that's all. Well, this was right after that download from MS that was supposed to be an important one against hackers. Around that same time frame, maybe a day or two later, I got a new program update from SpySweeper. Then I start getting these messages, as well as low memory and low hard drive messages, which is a bunch of baloney. I have plenty of hard drive and memory. My memory is 512MB and 80GB. It's a Dell computer, 2.4 MHz, Pentium 4 processor. I'm only using 8GB of disk space currently.

I've noticed several times when I try to pull up Newsmax.com (but not only that), my AOL just shuts down and restarts on its own. Next, when AOL automatically signs back on again, I hit the details and SOMETIMES get something like this:

Quote:
*** GPF Data ***

Error C0000005 occurred in module ntdll.dll at address 77F83905

Stack Trace:
0 : ntdll.dll/5.1.2600.1217 + 0x33905 (0x77f83905) 0001:00032905
1 : ntdll.dll/5.1.2600.1217 + 0x76e5 (0x77f576e5) 0001:000066e5
2 : ntdll.dll/5.1.2600.1217 + 0x818d (0x77f5818d) 0001:0000718d
3 : mshtml.dll/6.0.2800.1561 + 0x128695 (0x04358695) 0001:00127695
4 : mshtml.dll/6.0.2800.1561 + 0x20135f (0x0443135f) 0001:0020035f

A while ago I just signed onto AOL and got this message:

Quote:
Waol.exe application error: The instruction at 0X77f580db referenced memory at 0X64423325. The memory could not be written.

What does this message mean? I really don't understand what is happening. My computer was working just fine BEFORE that one MS update and SpySweeper program update.

Here is what we've done. We been on AOL with a tech, no help. My husband has uninstalled AOL and reloaded it. We've checked for spies, there are none. We went to Dell and ran a computer check, and it's working fine. No viruses or anything like that. My Spy killer programs are as follows: SpySweeper, Spybot, and now just today, AVG and Avast. Well, and we were running AOL Safety and Security software.

I keep getting these C0000005 messages in those details and they all have different module letters and numbers follow the C0000005 all the time.

Does anyone know what's happening to my poor computer? Could this be the MS update causing this? The MS update number is KB921883 (MS06-040), which has had problems with some programs concerning something about contiguous memory.

Thanks so much,
Tiza
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2006, 07:48 PM #2
This might be caused by an update that will be fixed on the 22cd which is tomorrow by Microsoft. Check this thread in this part of the forum

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...e-problem.html

I would suggest that you turn off the AutoUpdate for a bit and then remove the update number is KB921883 in add/remove programs and at the top of the window there is a little box to show updates put a check mark in it and then find and remove the fore mentioned update.

This update is not supposed to effect XP with SP2 installed so you might want to get and install SP2

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 full installation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2006, 08:02 PM #3
My husband already uninstalled it, then it kept doing the same exact thing. So we reinstalled it again. That was our first thing that we thought of.

If he uninstalls this update again, after uninstalling it, does he need to delete the file altogether?

Thanks so much, and I know we need to get SP2, but we're trying to get to that point with the workload that we have, which pretty much slows me down most of the time.

Tiza
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2006, 08:05 PM #4
Oh, shoot, forgot to mention. My husband has that update on this computer and no problem, then he has it on his laptop with no problem. What could be causing it on one computer and not on the other ones?

Thanks,
Tiza
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

21-Aug-2006, 08:12 PM #5
Does he has SP2 onthe other computers? and yes the update could work on another computer I have all of the updates on three different systems and it does not bother them. What it is that you write a program that is supposed to work on all computers. Right how many different computers are out there say 20 million. The program is not going to work the same on every thing, no way.

The only other suggestion is to wait until tomorrow night and get the fixed update from Microsoft and install it and reboot for the update to take effect.

If you are still getting the problem after that then please psot back and give all of the error and other information you can and we will be more than happy to help you some more.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2006, 08:54 PM #6
No, we do not have SP2 loaded yet on any computer.

But I do have a couple of questions. My computer, the one that has problems, has SpySweeper too, which I received a program update right after that MS update. What do you think of SpySweeper? The reason that I'm asking is: I may be considering cancelling it even though it catches a ton of stuff. Could this SpySweeper be conflicting?

Next question: Do you know the KB number to the update for tomorrow?

Thanks much,
Tiza
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

21-Aug-2006, 09:44 PM #7
I have AOL also and have had some problems with WAOL.exe error messages where it just shuts off AOL and reverts back to the desktop.

I suspect that this MAY be partially caused by security update 918899 which was made available on 8/8, since AOL uses a modified version of the IE browser.

I wouldn't change anything in AOL until the fix for 918899 is issued on 8/22. Just try to cure one problem at a time.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2006, 10:30 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by win2kpro
I have AOL also and have had some problems with WAOL.exe error messages where it just shuts off AOL and reverts back to the desktop.

I suspect that this MAY be partially caused by security update 918899 which was made available on 8/8, since AOL uses a modified version of the IE browser.

I wouldn't change anything in AOL until the fix for 918899 is issued on 8/22. Just try to cure one problem at a time.
Oh, my! You're at least making me not feel so alone and crazy. I knew that my computer was working just fine before that update.

Thanks,
Tiza
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2006, 05:22 PM #9
Does anyone know if that MS update is out or not, the one that fixes this mess? I've been looking, but neither my husband nor I can find it. I must just be missing it, and I'm not receiving my automatic updates today at all, which I do not know why.

Thanks,
Tiza
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

22-Aug-2006, 08:06 PM #10
I don't think you are missing the update as I have not received it also.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!