Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Home VS. Dell Reinstallation CD of Windows XP Home

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2006, 10:37 PM #1
Lightbulb Windows XP Home VS. Dell Reinstallation CD of Windows XP Home
Is there a difference between buying Windows Xp Home from a store and using the reinstall cd that Dell provides with thier computers?
Account Disabled with 1,398 posts.

28-Aug-2006, 02:26 AM #2
The difference is flexability. With a full xp disc you can repair xp (or IE etc) and run sfc if things go wrong. But with Dell you can only revert to factory settings. You can also alter partitions with an xp disc, but usually with Dell you can't (as there is max on logical partitions on one hd - 4).
Member with 17,584 posts.

28-Aug-2006, 02:29 AM #3
The Dell supplied OEM CD will only install on the Dell that it came with as well, its "locked" to the BIOS. Of course as you are only allowed to use one copy on one PC anyway, that does not matter!

The Dell restore CD will also restore the Dell drivers specific to that particular computer.

Also with any OEM, once loaded on a PC it has to die with that PC, it cannot be transferred to another PC.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

28-Aug-2006, 09:31 AM #4
See, the reason I'm asking this is not because i wan t load it onto another PC, I want to install a brand new hard drive on my dell because its hard drive crashed, and there is no way of using it unless I sacrafice the data I have stored on it, and do a fresh insall or revert back to factory settings. to avoid this, I purchased a new hard drive and thought I'd be able to install the new one without a problem using the reinstall disc, but I haven't been able to successfully install the new hard drive, is this because I have to purchase a regular copy of Windows XP Home, rather than using the dell reinsall disc?

29-Aug-2006, 03:08 AM #5
The Dell restore disc is linked to the fats partition on the Dell hd and will only work with that.
If your hd crashed you can't save the data unless you go for data recovery.
You'll have to get a full xp disc to install new hd onto Dell pc.

29-Aug-2006, 05:17 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rache
The Dell restore disc is linked to the fats partition on the Dell hd and will only work with that.
If your hd crashed you can't save the data unless you go for data recovery.
You'll have to get a full xp disc to install new hd onto Dell pc.
Are you certain about that Rache?

usually the restore CD is locked to the motherboard BIOS, rather than the HDD (I have never seen one locked to a HDD in any brand, to date).

I have replaced many HDD in brand name PC's, with no problems, using the restore CD's

If we knew why you cannot install the Dell version to the new HDD it would help, as it should be straightforward. Error messages?
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 10:46 AM #7
This is the EXACT error message I get:

Quote:
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.
Then I click okay, and it brings me to the System Setup Log:

Quote:
System Setup Log- (c:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

Error:
The signature for Windows XP Home Edition is invalid.
The error code is fffffc0d.
The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffc0d in the message file for syssetup.dll
Need anymore details?

30-Aug-2006, 01:49 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
Are you certain about that Rache?

usually the restore CD is locked to the motherboard BIOS, rather than the HDD (I have never seen one locked to a HDD in any brand, to date).

I have replaced many HDD in brand name PC's, with no problems, using the restore CD's
I never knew that. So the hidden partitions which are always in fat 32 only hold the drivers?

30-Aug-2006, 01:54 AM #9
The hidden partitions contain the restore files in some brand name computers, in which case they often never even have restore disks but often you get the opportunity to create your own from the hidden partition.

But that has no relevance to the restore CD, which is usually locked to the BIOS on the motherboard.

30-Aug-2006, 01:56 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakona724
This is the EXACT error message I get:

Then I click okay, and it brings me to the System Setup Log:

Need anymore details?
The error is well known, Microsoft have the fix here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307153/EN-US/

30-Aug-2006, 10:48 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
The hidden partitions contain the restore files in some brand name computers, in which case they often never even have restore disks but often you get the opportunity to create your own from the hidden partition.

But that has no relevance to the restore CD, which is usually locked to the BIOS on the motherboard.
I apologise if I'm hi-jacking but I've got a Dimension 3100c, 80gb hd, with 4 logical partitions (I can only see 3 via Disc Management); 1 is FAT 39mb, 1 is FAT32 3gb, 1 is NTFS 71.46gb and 1 is hidden (seen by Partition manager). I can't split into any more partitions (4 is max) and I don't have a restore disc (as you say I can press F12 and select restore) but I can get one. If I wanted to install a bigger hd could I install the Dell xp etc just from the restore disc? There is only room for 1 hd.
Member with 198 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 11:09 AM #12
Hi. I have a Dell and the Windows XP cd that came is the real deal. It is the Windows cd not the Dell one. It does not reinstall the Dell drivers. Nor anything Dell. Just Windows XP. I have a separate Dell cd for reinstalling all the Dell drivers. I have several cd's that came with my Dell for reinstalling everything back on to my computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Aug-2006, 02:06 PM #13
Jillian and kiwi are quite right Rache, the Dell cd is a full version of Windows XP, different only from retail XP version by reacting to a bios trigger that enables it for a Dell pc only. It is not a traditional "restore disk" used by other makers at all, that is why it is 1 disk and you have driver disks, and program disks to complete the install with. The small fat32 partition you may see is the mbr and many XP installs put that there the same way on any hard drive.
So please let's not try to give advice here that will scuttle a new users efforts and mislead them unless we are certain of what we speak.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 07:19 PM #14
Thanks guys for all of your help! I believe I will be able to solve my problem once I get home. Kiwiguy, I have tried that fix before, but when did that fix, I believe I had other things that might have been messing it up. When I return home I am going to remove every peripheral except the graphics card (obviously), switch my mouse to a ps2 mouse, and change the screen cables to analog (rather than digital). Then I will completely reformat the new hard drive and repartition it. Lastly I will install windows, and with any luck it will work and I'll be able to attach my old hard drive and work on recovering my data! As soon as thats done, I'll report back here and let you guys know how it came out. Thanks again!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!