Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: BSOD...0x000000F4...Please Help

(!)

Member with 284 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 04:21 PM #1
Solved: BSOD...0x000000F4...Please Help
First off here are my specs;

HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop.
XP SP2
60gb HD
384 MB Ram (128 is video).

Laptop will not boot properly, not even to safe mode. I am getting the following error each time and always at the same spot *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x829185A8, 0x8291871C, 0x805F9F88). Again this happens right before the login prompt comes up. Stop error is always the same except memory addresses 2 and 3 in the brackets change.

I must mention before this the pc was not booting at all. It would display the HP logo and look like it was going to boot but never did. I went into recovery console and ran "chkdsk /r" and this enabled me to get to where I am now.

I have ran memtest+ for a few hours and no errors. Also ran HD dignostics using Salvation HDD repair CD. No errors found on HD. The fact that this occurs each time in the exact same place , even in safe mode, tells me it maybe file corruption. Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
30-Aug-2006, 06:24 PM #2
There is not much available on this particular STOP error except to suggest it is related to the IDE configuration -- that is the cabling or the controller on the ide channel to which the drive is connected.

Try removing the drive from the laptop and reseating it.

There is a pictorial on removal or replacement of the drive at the bottom of this PDF:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00090106.pdf

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 30-Aug-2006 at 06:34 PM..
Member with 284 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 07:31 PM #3
Thanks Rog. I will try that and let you know. I was starting to do an inplace upgrade but will try this first.
Member with 284 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 11:23 PM #4
No good...tried to reset HD and got same error msg. I want to do an in place upgrade or a repair install. The problem is when I boot from the CD and run setup, there is no repair option! Does anyone know how I can get this option? It has Home edition and I want to put XP Pro on it one time.
Computer Specs

30-Aug-2006, 11:45 PM #5
It's a little confusing -- but read this and it should explain it:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If Windows does not see a previous installation -- you will not be given the opportunity to "repair" (reinstall) it. Keep in mind this is different than loading the recovery console.

If you can access the recovery console you should try such commands as

chkdsk /r

and

fixboot

If you choose to enter setup and do a reinstall -- but do not see that option -- Windows is going to format the drive and whatever is there would be lost.

You may still be able to recovery data on this drive -- but it involves getting an adapter such as >

http://www.rogerssystems.com/store/m...TOKEN=55962118
Member with 284 posts.

31-Aug-2006, 12:58 AM #6
Thanks for your help sir. I think I have fixed it. I followed instructions on this website:
http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com....jsp?id=8658-0

Mr. White is a funny guy! Looks like my registry was the culprit. After I ran chkdsk /r it fixed the file corruption but the registry also took a hit. I followed his instructions to the T and it worked. No BSOD so far!!
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2006, 01:24 AM #7
Great -- I'm familiar with hive restore, but don't usually recommend it unless one boots to the error that one of them is missing.

Did you see that after chkdsk ?
Member with 284 posts.

31-Aug-2006, 04:52 PM #8
No did not see it. I took a chance doing it I know! It just seemed that if it was hardware related this error would have come up randomly not religiously in the same place each time. Like I mentioned before, chkdsk got me booting again but only to the error point.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Jan-2008, 01:03 AM #9
More than likely...
One or more hotfixes. Find the latest ones that were installed and uninstall them. I use ERD Commander or http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Sep-2008, 04:53 PM #10
also you might have a nasty program called securom on your pc it caused my pc to crash all the time untill i reinstalled windows
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!