Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

using usb causes the big freeze

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

04-Sep-2006, 01:15 PM #1
using usb causes the big freeze
If I plug any USB device into my Sony PC/win XP, the computer freezes, also if any device is plugged in when I reboot the computer will go only to the welcome page then freeze on black screen. All USB devices work fine on other computer som problem must be in com puter not the usb devices. This includes external hard drive, printer, scanner, memory stick etc, all cause the same problem, also it does not matter which usb port you use, all result in same thing??????????????????
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Sep-2006, 01:20 PM #2
Removing and reinstalling the USB devices may be necessary, but I'd recommend following this procedure to ensure it is done thoroughly: Let's go for the "complete" USB driver renewal and see if that helps.

Please print this article for Reference

http://forums.techguy.org/3435808-post2.html

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Oct-2007, 05:12 PM #3
Tried this method
Have the same problem with USB ports freeze computer
Tried your method.
Put in the stick and it worked without a freeze, took it out after clicking on remove hardware and the computer froze.

I am using XP Professional on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4025

The strange thing is it works ok if I boot up using Ubutu linux software.

Noticed in the Computer Management, device management
I have two PCMCIA entries
PCMCIA adapters / Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
PCMCI and Flash memory devices/ Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Inegrated FlashMedia Controller

Any further advise on this....anyone
I really think it is a Microsoft software problem, however

28-Oct-2007, 05:41 PM #4
usb freeze
believe it or not, I just quit using USB for anything, left all unplugged for ab out a month, tried external harddrive one day and it worked, slipped in printer, still good, used aa memory stick and it works????? Who knows.
Computer Specs

28-Oct-2007, 06:11 PM #5
USB ports good for everything except memory sticks
I have a wireless mouse in and it works well, never a problem.
I plug in and unplug a printer, no problem.
Just the memory sticks that cause this problem, for me

Jerry

28-Oct-2007, 06:33 PM #6
usb
have you tried a different port, mine has usbs front and rear? With mine it was no USB of any kind, glad it cleared up, never knew the cause though.
Computer Specs

28-Oct-2007, 06:38 PM #7
USB problems
I have 4 USB ports on this notebook.
They all have the same problem.

Right now I am scanning some pictures.
I plug it in and no freeze, can pull it out of the USB port and no freeze.
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Dr Geek
16-Nov-2007, 08:20 PM #8
Problems with usb devices resulting in a freeze, or a message "Power surge on Hub Port" with a icon in the system tray could indicate a hardware failure.

The problem, is you get a message "Power surge on Hub Port" or a lockup and reboot whether it be one device connected (such as a optical mouse) or every port connected. The problem appears out of know where, if this sounds like you, read on...

Ive tried everything, I've uninstalled the USB entries in device manager, reset my bios, tweaked the usb settings in my bios, vaccumed my usb ports, tried vista, xp and the problem was still there.

The BAD news . This is permanent damage, and is not reversable. For me, I believe I shorted a port because a part of the motherboard aluminium frame at the back on the case came into contact with a tooth within the usb port. The damage is permanent, thats the bad news. In my experience I've also seen some machines motherboards die completely after a few more days use.

The GOOD news , is that Windows being the great thing it is, can disable certain devices if their malfunctioning, Under your Ctrl Panel->System->Device Manager, you will have a section at the end called "Universal Serial Bus controllers". For each detected usb port on your computer, you will have a "USB Root Hub" and another item dependant on your board manufacturer. For me, its "Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - XXXX". These are the items we want to deal with.

Firstly, disconnect all usb devices from your PC

Secondly, using a PS2 keyboard/mouse, right click (Keyboard, press the button to the left of your Right Ctrl) on each "Intel(R) ...." listing under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and select disable. Leave the "USB Root Hub" alone. You will see that once you disable each one of these, the "USB Root Hub" disappear anyway. Disable all of these "Intel(R) ...." entries.

Thirdly, this is a repetitive step, starting from the top, right click and enable a single usb controller. Now use a low powered device like a optical mouse and plug it into a usb port, if it doesn't pickup within 10 seconds, change to the next usb port, until you get it to respond. If none of the ports respond, disable this usb controller again, and repeat this step for the next usb controller in the list.

With a bit of luck, you will, like me, still have a functional usb port on your computer. I have six in total, two ports don't even provide any power to my optical usb mouse, three fail working after a minute or so, the remaining one seems to be still standing.

If your unlucky enough not to have any functional USB Ports, or find that you need more ports to retain your sanity, the next best bet is to buy a PCI USB Card and plug it into your mainboard, but be sure to disable the onboard USB via the bios, otherwise you may find it'll interfere with the PCI card's usb ports OR buy a new mainboard, because it has permanent damage.

Hope this solution finds you happiness... Schitzn (Dr Geek)
Computer Specs

17-Nov-2007, 02:32 PM #9
Still no luck
No luck. Since they work with Linux Ubuntu
I think it is a software problem.
Below is the driver that I am using.
do any of these need updating.

Universal Serial Bus controllers
================
Universal Host Controller:
USB port driver: 7.0.0.1020 dated 5/23/05
USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller Intel 82801G
================
USB Root Hub
Driver: 5.1.2600.2180 dated 7-1-2001

=========================
Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Inegrated FlashMedia Controller
Texas Instrumetn Inc dtd 11-30-2005
Driver 2.0.0.4
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Dr Geek
26-Nov-2007, 07:22 AM #10
Seriously, give my theory a try.

Ubuntu may have different fail safe code to Windows, hence why it appears to work.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 10:44 AM #11
Unhappy USB problem
I do not need to find out which port is working.
All work with my printer, scanner and wireless mouse.

None work with a memory stick, they freeze the computer.
The sticks work in all other computers that I have tried them in.
The stick works if I put them in before I power up the computer.
http://images.techguy.org/smilies/confused.gif

I am confused.

Jerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!