Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My sound stopped working.

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Halfway to Intermediate
05-Sep-2006, 06:07 PM #1
My sound stopped working.
Since I don't know the root of the problem, I'll provide all that I can.

Around two or three days ago, my keyboard got messed up and stopped working. When I was messing around with the back of the tower to try to fix it, I somehow killed my sound off too. Eventually, I got a new keyboard, but after adjusting with the stuff on the back of the computer tower the sound still didn't work.

Since my sister's computer specs and mine are the same, I checked out the device manager on both of the PCs to see what was missing from mine. I found out that it was a "Realtek AC'97 Audio" listing. So of course, I google it up and download what I find. However, after installing it, it still doesn't work. It doesn't even show in the device manager! And to make matters more confusing, when I start up my computer, it says that I can press Shift+F10 to configure it. When I do that, a DOS-like menu pops up where I can change a few options but nothing I change will get the sound working.

When I go to Accessories --> Entertainment --> Volume Control, it says that there are no active mixer devices available.

I don't think it's related to viruses or spyware. I've scanned multiple times with TuneUp, Spybot, Ad-aware, Norton, and a few other programs. Nothing came up.

Here's my HiJackThis information:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:58:14 PM, on 9/5/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

(Also, I have no clue why it says WinNT 5.01.2600 on the platform listing. That started happening when I was working with the TCP/IP connections, though it's not important as of now.)

If you need me to post any other hardware listings or, well, anything about my computer, just ask.
Member with 8,974 posts.

05-Sep-2006, 07:00 PM #2
Windows XP includes a repair tool called a System Restore, which may fix the problem. For details about it to fix the problem, see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...w_03may19.mspx
Member with 44 posts.

05-Sep-2006, 07:19 PM #3
Thanks for the reply, Dan.

I've tried to use system restore to fix the problem too. However, it doesn't work either. Any other suggestions?
Member with 8,974 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 09:58 AM #4
1. Download the latest sound drivers
2. Remove all sound devices within Windows using Device Manager
3. Reboot the PC, Windows will recognize sound devices
4. You should select Have Disk and point it to where you stored the downloaded new drivers

This has worked for me many times, good luck.
Member with 44 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 03:01 PM #5
What do you mean by the latest sound drivers? I tried that with the last version of Realtek AC'97 Audio, but it didn't work. Is there a certain thing I'm supposed to download?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2006, 03:19 PM #6
You say you were messing around on the back side of the tower trying to fix the keyboard. Well turn the tower around a nd take a close look and make sure the speaker wire is in the right hole. You can not tell which hole it is in unless you look closely.

I apologize if anybody thinks i am trying to get preverted I am not.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Member with 44 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 04:31 PM #7
All the euphimisms and innuendo make my eyes burn!

I've already checked to make sure the green speaker plug was in the right slot. When it's halfway plugged in, it makes a buzzing sound and is silent when fully plugged in.
Member with 8,974 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 04:40 PM #8
The generic Realtek AC'97 drivers may not work. You need to go the PC manufacture's support web site, download the sound drivers, and follow my instructions.
Member with 44 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 06:25 PM #9
Alright, I went to my computer manufacturer's website, but there's a long list of audio codecs. However, none of them I see are Realtek. Which one should I download?

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...=&Page=1&num=0 is the list.
Senior Member with 237 posts.

Experience: I know what I don't know
06-Sep-2006, 08:18 PM #10
JB, You are in the right place. On the first page there were 3 Realtek drivers. But you have to know which M/B you have to select the right one.
Do you know the Model No. and Rev. No. of the M/B? Find it on the MSI site and get the sound chip info. Then you should be able to match what is listed in the "Support Model" line of each driver description.
Member with 44 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 08:35 PM #11
I tried downloading two of the drivers on the page and restarting my computer with them installed, but neither of them worked. I still get an option to configure it before starting up though.

Dan, when you say to remove all sound devices, do you mean to delete all of these too?

Also, for the fourth step, I have a stupid question. I don't actually have to have a disk on me to put in the drive, do I? I don't want to screw this up any more than I already have.
Member with 8,974 posts.

07-Sep-2006, 08:33 AM #12
Yes, delete all sound devices first.

No, Have Disk does not mean you need to install a CD or diskette, you can save the downloaded drivers onto the hard drive and then select Browse after selecting Have Disk and point it to where you stored the drivers.
Member with 44 posts.

07-Sep-2006, 06:59 PM #13
Er, wait. How do I uninstall the things I have under Sound, video and game controllers? I can't right click and delete them, and I can't disable the device when I double-click on it.
Member with 8,974 posts.

08-Sep-2006, 08:10 AM #14
James,

I forgot with Windows Xp you cannot delete the devices. You can Uninstall some and select Update Drivers for others. So give it a try.
Member with 44 posts.

09-Sep-2006, 04:58 PM #15
The only one I can mess with at all is the Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device. Updating the driver for it results in a message saying it couldn't find a better one. Should I just uninstall it?

For the other sound devices, I can go to properties and can remove stuff if needed via the properties tab, like this:

I just don't want to uninstall anything that I can't get back. I'm pretty sure you want me to uninstall the Unimodem one, but I don't want to mess with the properties in the other ones just in case.

Also, my friend suggested that either he or I "reseat" the sound card, just to make sure. Any thoughts on that?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!