Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer makes beeping noise but will not run on start up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2006, 07:38 PM #1
Exclamation Computer makes beeping noise but will not run on start up
I turn on my computer it makes a beeping noise for like five seconds and nothing happens the monitor will not come on. But CD drive still opens and closes
Member with 174 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Sep-2006, 07:47 PM #2
What kind of beeping noise is it? One long beep? Or a long beep and some short ones? Often a beep signifies a video or RAM problem.
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2006, 09:09 PM #3
Its a slow beeping noise that last like ten seconds then stops but computer will not boot up
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

17-Sep-2006, 09:13 PM #4
Are there any error messages?

If so please post them?

After the beep stops what does the screen look like?
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2006, 09:19 PM #5
my computer when i turn it on it makes those beeping noise for like ten seconds but the monitor will not pop on as if were going into windows
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2006, 09:23 PM #6
Use another computer and get a new video driver for the computer and also if you can get into safe mode you can go to device manager on the computer with the problem and find the display adapter and write it down and the manufacturers name and then delete it and then reboot into windows and windows will reinstall the driver. If windows does not you then go get the new driver, actually get the driver anyways.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2006, 09:24 PM #7
Im on another computer right now but i can't even get that far to put in safe mode the monitor won't pop up on like it usually does
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2006, 09:28 PM #8
You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

17-Sep-2006, 09:42 PM #9
Reproduced from Microsoft site ....

To troubleshoot hardware problems

If your computer beeps when you start it but does not display anything on your monitor:

a. Disconnect and reconnect your monitor from your computer.

b. Verify that your monitor's power cord is connected and that your monitor is turned on.

c. If possible, connect your monitor to a different computer to make sure that your monitor works properly.

d. If your monitor works but your computer beeps and displays nothing, your video adapter has probably failed. If your computer is under warranty, contact your computer manufacturer for support. If your computer is not under warranty, and you are comfortable opening your computer's case and replacing internal hardware, purchase and install a compatible replacement video adapter. Otherwise, contact a service center for assistance. While replacing a part is a nuisance and may be costly, your documents, pictures, and e-mail should be safe and will be available when your computer is fixed.

If you see an error message that indicates that a keyboard is not present or a key is stuck, turn off your computer and reconnect your keyboard. If the problem continues, replace your keyboard.

Sometimes your computer won't start because your computer is not compatible with a hardware accessory. If you have recently added a new hardware accessory, turn your computer off, remove the accessory, and restart your computer.

Remove all hardware accessories except your keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If your computer starts successfully, shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and add one hardware accessory. Then, restart your computer. If your computer fails to start, the hardware accessory you most recently added is causing a problem. Remove the hardware and contact the hardware vendor for support. You can reconnect other hardware accessories.

You may have a loose connector. Turn off your computer, remove all connectors from the outside of your computer, and then carefully push the connectors back in. Look for stray wires, bent pins, and loosely fitting connectors.

If you are comfortable opening your computer's case, shut down your computer, unplug the power, and open your computer’s case. Remove and reconnect all cables. Remove and reconnect all cards inside your computer, including your computer’s memory chips. Reassemble your computer before attempting to start it again.

If your computer still doesn't start, your motherboard, processor, memory, or graphics card may have developed a problem. Contact technical support for further troubleshooting assistance. While failed hardware can be frustrating, your documents, pictures, and e-mail should be safe and will be there when your computer is fixed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!