Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Missing file mshtml.hlp

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 0 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Sep-2006, 07:49 PM #1
Question Missing file mshtml.hlp
When trying to instal 2 pictures that I received by e-mail into my computer, I get the title message. I checked my computer for the file and it is indeed missing. Microsoft is of no help except that I did learn that the missing file is a goofup by Microsoft when upgrading Windows XP Home to SP2, but they do not have a fix at this time. I have a Dell Dim.3000 with XP Home. Before I tackle Dell I thought I would check if anyone has experienced this problem and what was done to resolve it. One suggestion that I did hear about was to purchase SP2 and instal the CD version.
Member with 476 posts.

02-Nov-2006, 12:35 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaB
When trying to instal 2 pictures that I received by e-mail into my computer, I get the title message. I checked my computer for the file and it is indeed missing. Microsoft is of no help except that I did learn that the missing file is a goofup by Microsoft when upgrading Windows XP Home to SP2, but they do not have a fix at this time. I have a Dell Dim.3000 with XP Home. Before I tackle Dell I thought I would check if anyone has experienced this problem and what was done to resolve it. One suggestion that I did hear about was to purchase SP2 and instal the CD version.
Same issue.

Now I know this has been done here before but I tried to verify/reinstall Windows files (sfc /scannow) to no avail. I recently did a clean reformat of my hd and installed all updates and service packs and this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue since using XP (a few years). I know that Microhard claims this file is non existent but the problem is not. There must be some fix for this. Any ideas?
Error: Cannot find the C:\\Windows\System32\mshtml.hlp file
Member with 476 posts.

02-Nov-2006, 01:12 PM #3
Nevermind. I uninstalled IE7 and the problem corrected itself. I believe Microhard is unwilling to admit they have a compatibility issue with IE7 and OE6 thats causing this problem. I'm using Firefox2 now anyway so have no need for IE7.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

01-Jul-2007, 01:57 PM #4
missing mshtml.hlp file
To PoppaB:

I too am missing an mshtml.hlp file. Someone had suggested uninstalling then reinstalling IE 7- while I know how to do that, I would be afraid to do that with a program like IE 7.

From time to time Microsoft updates my system, and maybe I also lost the mshtml.hlp file the same way that you did.

Hope we both find it.

m139139
Computer Specs
Member with 3,235 posts.

Experience: Years of foolishness, moments of brilliance
01-Jul-2007, 02:23 PM #5
It's true. mshtml.hlp doesn't exist....Rumour has it that Microsoft has farmed the issue out to a contractor (who's probably combing through a few billion lines of code to find the bug) and a solution is hoped for by year's end.

In the meantime, I found this on another forum of firefox users (actually closeted IE 7 curious types):

"In my attempts to find a workaround, I believe I have one for you. Right-click the embedded image as you normally would, but instead of choosing Save as..., choose Copy. Then open MS Paint, go to the Edit menu and select Paste. That should paste the image into Paint, and then you can save it. (You could probably use any photo program, I just tried it with Paint). "

Let us know if this really works...
Computer Specs

01-Jul-2007, 03:51 PM #6
Paint Box etc.

To the 'Hound':

I sent you an e-mail, but I'll answer this msg. Your MS Paint really helped. I was able to follow your instructions, and went one step further by being able to convert it to a JPEG format.

Thanks for your help.

m139139
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Know enough to make me dangerous
24-Nov-2007, 03:47 PM #7
"In my attempts to find a workaround, I believe I have one for you. Right-click the embedded image as you normally would, but instead of choosing Save as..., choose Copy. Then open MS Paint, go to the Edit menu and select Paste. That should paste the image into Paint, and then you can save it. (You could probably use any photo program, I just tried it with Paint). "

What do I do if the image is animated, for example, candles burning? I was able to save the image in paint, but it wasn't animated. I think I'm and intermediate user, but may still be considered a beginner. I hear the problem is having OE 6 and IE 7, which I do.
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2007, 04:26 PM #8
To Dollygurl:

I received the followiing msg., regarding the missing mshtml.hlp file:

Should I use any embedded image, and where would I find it?

Thanks.

Mimi
m139139@comcast.net
Member with 476 posts.

24-Nov-2007, 04:28 PM #9
Thanks Dolly. While I'm sure that works I just decided to use a far better browser, Firefox. It's a shame that Microsxxt feels compelled to incorporate everything like IE7 & OE. The two are separate programs and should remain such.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 02:10 PM #10
Unhappy Animated Image
I appreciate all the replies regarding the IE and OE missing file problem, and have used the way around saving an image by coping it in MS Paint, but it doesn't save animation when I open the image (for example, the flame of a candle, or Kinkade's Rain image). Do I right click and open with Firefox?

I also use the new Firefox browser as my default, and love it.
Member with 476 posts.

26-Nov-2007, 02:45 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollygurl
but it doesn't save animation when I open the image (for example, the flame of a candle, or Kinkade's Rain image). Do I right click and open with Firefox?
You've got me there. I still use IE 6.0 because of OE. And because I feel it has easier to use features than Firefox. I only use Firefox if I know I'll have multiple pages open. The one thing that irritates me about Firefox (and that they never seem to improve upon) is user friendliness. For example, I like to be able to change the name of a webpage just by right clicking and doing it. Oh no, not with Firefox. You have to go into the organize favorites section to do that.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

26-Nov-2007, 02:55 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl1
...For example, I like to be able to change the name of a webpage just by right clicking and doing it. Oh no, not with Firefox. You have to go into the organize favorites section to do that.
You don't have to go into organize. Right click the bookmark then choose properties, then you can rename it without opening up the bookmark manager. Would be more intuitive to have just a rename feature though.

HTH

Jerry
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 03:04 PM #13
I haven't used Firefox very long to know how to use all the bells and whistles, nor am technical enough to know how to compare IE and Firefox right now. As we all know, the biggest problem so far that I am having is saving a pic from an email and animated pics on my desktop. Sure hope it doesn't get any worse or I will be lost.

I love this website.

Thanks for all your help, and am I correct in assuming that SG-1 stands for O'Neill's team on Stargate, or is it something else?
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 03:15 PM #14
Cool To Dollygurl

Dear Dollygurl:

Thanks for your help. Now I understand which embedded image I'm supposed to COPY if the other doesn't work, then put it into PAINT.

m139139
Member with 476 posts.

26-Nov-2007, 10:05 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollygurl

Thanks for all your help, and am I correct in assuming that SG-1 stands for O'Neill's team on Stargate, or is it something else?
Ha I never thought of that. No, it's just my initials and #1. But that is a cool show.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!