Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: USB Auto Detect/Run/Play

(!)

Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

24-Sep-2006, 08:03 PM #1
Solved: USB Auto Detect/Run/Play
When I connect a USB flash drive I want a window to appear giving me the option to run (if there is an auto.inf file), play music (if music files), open in a Windows Explorer window, etc.

This is exactly what occurs on my two Windows XP Pro machines. Nothing happens on my XP Home; I have to get to the drive through "My Computer."

Is this an XP Home limitation? Or can you think of some setting I've missed?

All 3 PCs have SP2 and all Microsoft critical updates. I have no reason to suspect malware on the XP Home machine, and it has nothing detected by AVG (free), Windows Defender, Ad-Aware or Spybot.

The registry key NoDriveTypeAutoRun is Hex 91 on all machines. The Properties on the USB drives are the same.
Member with 8,974 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 10:55 AM #2
To fix it reverse the steps listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/126025
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2006, 01:21 PM #3
Thanks, Dan. But that article is explicitly for Windows 95, 98SE and ME. I "translated" it to the equivalent XP areas (I think) but could find no Auto Insert Notification check box. Did I miss something?
Terry
Member with 8,974 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 03:15 PM #4
Terry,

Sorry about that.

Checkout: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

The link connects you to a Autoplay Repair Wizard you can download from Microsoft.
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2006, 04:21 PM #5
Thanks again, Dan. I thought that would nail it. But ...

The first time I ran the wizard it changed NoDriveTypeAutoRun to hex 90; which means now I theoretically can auto detect on "Unknown" drives on my XP Home. After restarting, as directed, Auto Detect still failed.

I then ran the Repair Wizard two more times, on different flash drives (different brands, different sizes, different contents) and both times the bottom line was as follows.

------------copy from wizard's log------------------
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None
-----------end copy from wizard's log----------------

Both drives still auto detect (test after the above) on XP Pro, so I tend to reject 'device is malfunctioning."

If you happen to have any more links, keep 'em coming.
Member with 8,974 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 04:30 PM #6
With a flash drive in the PC and after it is detected. Open My Computer and chech the AutoPlay Properties. You may have to experiment to find the right settings.
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2006, 05:48 PM #7
Forgot to mention in my initial post--the AutoPlay Properties are the way they should be and exactly the same as on the XP Pro.

A couple days ago from Device Manager I had Windows search for USB controller driver update. It found none, but I think I'll try harder to see if I can find one.

A perhaps easier question--does somebody have an XP Home with USB auto detect working? If so, for auto play (music) or auto run (.inf file) or both? Thanks.
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2006, 09:04 PM #8
Installed the Intel chipset drivers from Dell's site. The USB controller now has a new driver--11 months newer and the same as on my XP Pro machine, but still no USB auto detect. Tried the Repair Wizard again and got the "can't repair" message again.
Member with 8,974 posts.

27-Sep-2006, 05:25 PM #9
I never have never used XP Home, but it still should work. Maybe someone else will have other ideas how to fix the problem.
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2006, 12:43 PM #10
One more try for a little info to help me decide whether I want to keep working on this.

Does anybody have XP Home and have success with USB flash drive auto detect?

Does anybody have XP Home and try w/o success to get USB flash drive auto detect?
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Oct-2006, 02:11 PM #11
Does anybody have XP Home and have success with USB flash drive auto detect?

yes, xphome/sp2
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2006, 09:03 PM #12
Thanks, bearone2. I thought it should work, and am glad you could confirm that it does.
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Oct-2006, 09:27 PM #13
Try this, go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download

#387 Removable Devices- AutoPlay: ON, right side of page.

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Oct-2006, 09:54 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
Thanks, bearone2. I thought it should work, and am glad you could confirm that it does.
i had to redo my son's dell desktop and when it finished only 1 of the 4 usb ports worked, the mouse.

i used a usb stick to dl video, chipset, sound and ethernet drivers from dell on another computer.
it amazed me that they weren't on the restore cd.

i unplugged the usb mouse, plugged in the usb, which had and showed the 4 drivers.
i had to arrow to the chipset/enter and now had all the usb ports.

i put the mouse back where it was and the usb into another port, did the nic, video and sound and could use the mouse to select the rest..

not to 2nd guess but are you sure you installed the correct chipset drivers? they were the key for usb.

i had a dell tech telling me which was which because the machine came with 2 ob video cards and there were 4 to choose from, + 2 ob nic cards, 3 ob modems, etc....
Computer Specs

01-Oct-2006, 10:02 PM #15
"not to 2nd guess but are you sure you installed the correct chipset drivers?"

As far as I can tell, yes (see post #8). Dell keeps a record of what was in the laptop when it shipped, and I have made no hardware changes. The drivers now in are the ones Dell had as the latest and greatest for my configuration.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!