Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 - how to create repair / re-installation CD

(!)

Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Sep-2006, 04:01 AM #1
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 - how to create repair / re-installation CD
How does one create a repair / re-installation CD for a Windows XP Media Center 2005 PC?

I know how to create a repair / re-installation CD for Windows XP Pro & Windows XP Home, if one's PC does not come with a Windows CD.
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

I have searched the internet using multiple search engines and multiple search terms.

Thanks for your attention to my question.

RF123
Member with 3,477 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 04:12 AM #2
Call your manufacturer and ask for the disc. They will be glad to send you one for about $10.
Member with 8,250 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 04:52 AM #3
The specific steps for Windows XP Pro and Home systems are outlined at the link in my initial post. And it is more than just taking the "i386" folder [ the steps for XP Pro / Home, which I resume is required for WMCE 2005 ] and creating a bootable CD.

If one needs to repair a file using Windows XP's "sfc /scannow" [ start > run > type:sfc /scannow ] tool, one often needs the CD.

Why should I spend $10 if I have already paid the OEM for the OS?

RF123
Member with 3,477 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 05:00 AM #4
Actually, all you paid for was a license to use the OS, you own nothing. It's splitting hairs, but read the EULA.
Some makers are still putting the ability on their machines to burn a copy(just once) of the OS. Dell stopped doing this.
Member with 8,250 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 05:09 AM #5
Yes, you are correct, about the hair splitting, the EULA, et al.

My hope was to find response that focused on the technical aspect of my question.

RF123
Member with 3,477 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 05:34 AM #6
If you let someone know what kind of system you have, maybe we could provide a more technical response. It's not that hard to do, but the different makers have different procedures and you can only do it once.
Member with 8,250 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 05:51 AM #7
I am not looking for a manufacturer's specific solution to creating a system recovery CD. I am looking for a method of creating a Windows XP Media Center 2005 edition CD, similar to the CDs created in my earlier link.

RF123
Member with 3,477 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 06:18 AM #8
Good luck, that looks a little convaluted and could be considered piracy in some circles.
Member with 8,250 posts.

26-Sep-2006, 07:13 AM #9
I am not an attorney, so I cannot comment with any acumen regarding piracy. I suspect that piracy is not involved, but I am not an attorney.

Bart's method works for XP Pro & Home.

RF123
Member with 8,250 posts.

28-Sep-2006, 03:52 PM #10
bump
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

28-Sep-2006, 06:19 PM #11
Ok In order to create a disk for media center to do what you need there is some information that is needed. This is what we need to know to help you make the disk you need and it is going to be done legally so if this is a hacked version of media center this will not work.

For one thing you will need a recovery disk for media center made from your computer. What is the make and model of your computer?

Does it have a recovery partition?

If it does have you made the recovery disk yet?

As a matter of fact if you have made the recovery disk you do not have to go any further than that because that is all you need.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Member with 8,250 posts.

29-Sep-2006, 02:06 AM #12
Dear OZ:
Thanks for replying.

Yes, I know that I need i386.

No, a recovery disk will not all me to perform a repair, nor can I run sfc /scannow with a recovery CD.

See: http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/
wxp10.zip creates "C:\bcd\cds\wxphome" and "c:\bcd\wxppro"
wxphome & wxppro contain 3 files and a folder called "files" . "files" contains multiple files

Thus, I don't think I can simply create c:\bcd\cds\wxpmce .

Thanks for your input.

I sent a message to Bart [ Bart's PE ], but I have not, as yet, received a reply.

Sincerely,
RF123
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

29-Sep-2006, 08:32 AM #13
You failed to answer all of the questions. What is the make and model numbwer of the computer that media center came on?
Member with 8,250 posts.

03-Oct-2006, 04:18 AM #14
There is no make or model, OZ. As noted at Bart's page, http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ , he describes a procedure for any Windows XP Pro / Home PC for which one has an "i386" folder with the *.**_ files.

RF123
Member with 8,250 posts.

13-Oct-2006, 10:31 PM #15
These do not address WMCE 2005, but they may provide a solution.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,1...,1/article.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

I hope someone can provide more assistance.

RF123
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!