Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to cancel an offered windows update?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 183 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2006, 07:06 AM #1
How to cancel an offered windows update?
I'm unable to install an update to windows installer 3.1. I've tried many times and it always fails. But I also read the fine print about that update and it doesn't sound as if it matters much if I don't install it, so I'm going to ignore it.

Trouble is, I can't find a way to tell windows update to STOP automatically notifying me that that update is available. I can cancel it but every time I restart I get the update shield back again.

Obviously, that's not a problem, just an annoyance. But is there a way to tell windows update to stop offering me that particular update permanently?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Oct-2006, 07:12 AM #2
Open Internet Explorer
Go to Windows Update
Go thru Custom scan
When scan is finished then find the update
When findiong the update remove the check mark to the left side
This changes the screen and it shows another little box jsut below to the left
Put a check mark in this one at the lower left
At the top of the window click on the underlinded link to apply updates.

Done and Windows Update will not ask you again for this update.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 08:21 AM #3
This should require some looking into and I would suggest running an XP Repair as you will not be able to install any new programs without this Windows Installer.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
I am also wondering if you are loaded with spyware as well so you might want to run this online scanner to be safe first:
www.eWido.net
Computer Specs
Member with 183 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2006, 10:23 AM #4
RichM,

Thx for the advice on running an XP repair. I may consider that.

I run ewido, ad-aware, spybot, and avg regularly, almost weekly. I'm nearly 100% certain (less than 10 days old) that I'm clean of spyware, etc. I did do a "manual" install of windows installer once, to see how it worked. I got as far as a small error window on my desktop saying "access is denied", when I said to heck with it. I had encountered that kind of error msg many times in trying unsuccessfully to install windows xp home sp2. That's when I gave up entirely and did a complete install of windows xp pro sp2, which I'm still running now. And I still can't install the windows installer 3.1 update.

Any further suggestions? Given my lack of expertise, and previous troubles (see above), I'm reluctant to fiddle with something that's working all right, mostly, by running a repair routine I have no experience at all with! I'm not saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But I am sorta saying "if I don't like the answer I expect, why ask the question?" What if I run a repair and all I do is make a not-too-bad situation worse?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 12:39 PM #5
Your answer is a little puzzling as to how long ago you did clean install and whether or not much time has passed. If you just did clean install then doing a repair right after is a waste of time, however did you put in the motherboard and especially chipset drivers. If yes, then it has to be a hardware issue and the next step should be ram test though it sounds absurd if you were able to do an install of XP...
www.memtest.org will download and install test to floppy disk.
I would also download and install this and find out hard drive brand and then go to mfgr and download and run diagnostic for drive as well:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!