Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Removing Incompatible C-Media AC97 Drivers

(!)

Member with 237 posts.

15-Oct-2006, 04:58 PM #1
Removing Incompatible C-Media AC97 Drivers
I'm not sure why XP has this problem, but it seems to take any possible opportunity to install C-Media sound drivers that are incompatible with my motherboard's Realtek sound chip. The C-Media package is also very hard to get off machines once it is on.

It did it again on my current box and though I did the uninstall, it still has left the system messed up.

Any ideas of how to clean this up? I'm sure this is a very common problem.

As always, thank for any help.
Member with 237 posts.

15-Oct-2006, 07:44 PM #2
After "uninstalling" the blasted software, I'm getting an RUNDLL error saying that it can't find the cmicnfg.cpl file.

Why on earth does MS force installation of this mess?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,614 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Oct-2006, 07:56 PM #3
Go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Disable the cmicnfg.cpl item in Startup.

To avoid this from happening again watch what gets installed during the automatic Microsoft Updates. You can also visit the Windows Update site, do the Custom Scan, and then under Drivers check the option that says to Hide the selected update. I assume thats where the CMedia driver keeps coming from.
Member with 237 posts.

15-Oct-2006, 09:18 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6
Go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Disable the cmicnfg.cpl item in Startup.

Will do. Thanks!

I can't believe MS is still doing this. I had the same problem six months ago with a different box. You'd think that it would try to detect the type of sound chip on the board before forcing this, at least by now.
Computer Specs

16-Oct-2006, 09:23 AM #5
With AC97 solutions its possible to use a number of drivers with the hardware DAC.
Member with 237 posts.

16-Oct-2006, 06:59 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6
With AC97 solutions its possible to use a number of drivers with the hardware DAC.
I'm not familiar with this, but I may have to re-do my audio setup.

This whole mess started when I used some headphones in the computer's front-mounted headphone jack for the first time. Though they worked fine, this apparently forced some complicated Realtek audio configuration program to come up. It continued to do so over and over and over and over until I removed the driver and software, then started over by downloading a new driver from MS, which was the dread C-Media monster.

I appear to have more or less disabled this, with your help -- though in searching Google, I see that actually getting completely rid of the C-Media stuff may be more complicated. I reinstalled the Realtek audio drivers from the momboard CD and bypassed installing the elaborate and unwanted audio program that started all this. I just want basic audio line out to a boombox and don't need all the other stuff.

At some point during all this, I started getting pops and dropouts coming through my speakers, which I understand is typical of messed-up AC'97 audio chip configuration. I'm not sure if that's still there or not.

I'm going to give it a run tonight (when the rest of the network is idle and can't contribute any confusing variables) with streaming audio and see if it's OK then. If not, I imagine I'll have to start from scratch and get back to where I was before plugging in the fatal headphones.

Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 09:34 AM #7
Download the updated Realtek driver from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC
Member with 237 posts.

18-Oct-2006, 03:21 AM #8
As it turned out, I kept having trouble with this wretched C-Media thing until I went into regedit and manually removed ALL keys connected with it through the search function.

Now everything's back the way it's supposed to be and boots properly.

I think.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!