Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot Load Operating System

(!)

Senior Member with 242 posts.

23-Oct-2006, 12:53 PM #1
Question Cannot Load Operating System
Hi there,

Any help with this one would be appreciated. I've been asked to have a look at this ancient - VENTURIS FX 133 (VER 1.09). it's only wanted for basic word processing etc, but I cannot load an os on it.

I've set the boot menu to boot from the cd-rom but it seems to totally ignore it.

I've managed to format with fdisk, however at some point after the bios loads up, a win98 startup screen flashes for a split-second.

On the load up screen, the following info appears (don't know if relevant) -

-System BIOS shadowed
-Video BIOS shadowed
-Waiting for SCSI ID #0
-No device found at SCSI ID #0

Am I totally wasting my time with this relic or is there something I can do to load, win98 or w2k?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

23-Oct-2006, 01:52 PM #2
If it's a really old system, chances are it's not capable of booting from a CD. That would mean booting from a floppy. The error messages above seem to indicate that the hard drive is SCSI which means you need to download SCSI drivers for it to even attempt to install an operating system on it.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Oct-2006, 02:04 PM #3
I think that loading Windows 98 is going to be a real challenge. First you meed the Scsi drivers (Raid) to install at first but above all you need Windows 98 on floppy disk. I do not even think you can find that on eBay but give a look.

Please to let us know what is happening I am sure we will be awaiting updates.

Good luck.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.

23-Oct-2006, 02:48 PM #4
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.
Wow, loading an o/s from floppies....that brings back a few memories!!

The first time I started the pc, it just hung on- waiting for scsi at Id #0, and after an eternity it gave the message - "operating system missing", so I replaced the HDD +
+ tried to load the o/s on that, but the same scsi message appeared.

-how would I identify which scsi drivers were needed + how would I load them
-Is it pointed to look for a scsi by jumpers + could I change that

-How about loading the o/s on the hdd on another pc + placing it back in?

This is work Im doing is for a small voluntry organisation,Fixing this particular pc is not critical as they have been given another 5/6 other old pc's, so we should get some going to enable basic word processing etc. Howevewr, I would like to get it going if "do-able".
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

23-Oct-2006, 03:08 PM #5
To find out what kind of SCSI controller or hard drive is installed, you have to open the case and look. Depending on the age of the computer, finding drivers could be the most challenging and time-consuming part of this endeavor. As for how to load them, having never installed an OS on a SCSI drive, I can't help you there.

I do know that putting the hard drive in another computer and installing the OS that way definitely isn't going to work. All the motherboard, chipset, and other hardware drivers would not be loaded correctly, and the system would almost certainly simply blue-screen. Even if it did work, you're still left with a SCSI drive the system can't recognize. And do you even have a SCSI-supported system to connect it to?

With new computers costing only a few hundred dollars, this seems like a lot of work for building a basic word processor.

23-Oct-2006, 04:49 PM #6
Very true + I don't have heaps of time to spend on it. It's just a bit annoying cos i get the feeling it's something i'm missing or not seeing in the configuration/Bios settings. I mean, i saw this pc run when i called in a few months back, + then they said it just stopped working about three weeks ago.

I took out the old hdd (1192mb), which looked liked an ordinary hdd (not scsi) + replaced it with a salvaged 4gig.

-Think i'll have to leave common sense get the better of me on this one + accept defeat!!

Hey guys thanks for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!