Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP wont startup

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2006, 02:12 PM #1
XP wont startup
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 40g BIOS AO2. Windows XP won't startup. Get message: A problem has been detected and windows has shutdown to prevent damage to computer Tech info: 0x00000024, 0x00190203, 0x812A7410, 0x0000102, 0x00000000.I have ran Dell Diagnostics test and got these errors: Diskett Drive Read Test-error code 1100:0321, A system disk BIOS operation failed with error code of o2h. Diskett Drive write test- error code:1100:0421. A system disk BIOS operation failed with error code of o2h. Passed all other tests.What does these error codes mean? And will they make windows not startup? Using windows CD. I went to windows startup. where it says; setup windows XP now, or to repair a windows installation using recovery console, press R. But it does'nt matter which one I choose. It goes to a blue screen with this at the bottom: Examining 34939 mb Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus O at atapi.... and stays. I don't think it's froze I can push Num,Caps Lock and the lights blink. Is my hard drive fried or can this be fix? Can I save my files or do I have to reinstall windows? I can't get to the desktop.
Member with 2,740 posts.

Experience: Pretty good but never too old to learn.
25-Oct-2006, 02:17 PM #2
To all intents and purposes it looks to me like your hdd is cooked colli but I'm open to offers on this by other people.
Hang around for a bit.
Computer Specs

27-Oct-2006, 10:36 AM #3
Thanks wolfeymole. Do you think I will be able to copy my files. To a new drive.
Member with 2,740 posts.

27-Oct-2006, 10:48 AM #4
You could install the hdd in another pc as Slave and try to attempt to copy your stuff ie pics, mp3's etc to the main hdd that is installed.
Try that if you can which should, hopefully, if the drive has not died completely, transfer your files otherwise I will suggest an alternative route.
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2006, 11:51 AM #5
Thanks, Woleymole for the info. I've been busy and just now can reply. And since my home computer is down. I have to use the one at work. I will get a new harddrive. Where is a good place to start looking for one? I don't really know how to make the old one a slave. But will cross that bridge when needed. As for the new drive. Will a 80 gig. fit in a 2400? And is it very hard to install. I really do not know a lot about computers. But I like to learn as I go.
Member with 2,740 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 12:00 PM #6
Have a look here for more info.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,918 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
30-Oct-2006, 02:38 PM #7
Does the error message say "Diskette Error" or "Disk Error". If the former, then you may not have had a floppy disk in the drive during diags, or if there was a disk in the drive, then it may be bad (or the drive may be bad.)

If the latter, then Wolfey's got it - bad hard drive.
Member with 2,740 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 03:21 PM #8
Why a diskette should come into play on an XP boot up is very strange, to me that error is perhaps suggesting the floppy drive, as you say Guru, is done for.
However this is the section that perturbs me;
"Examining 34939 mb Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus O at atapi.... and stays."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!