Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: EFS Decryption

(!)

Member with 76 posts.

27-Oct-2006, 02:36 AM #1
Cool Solved: EFS Decryption
Okay here it goes, I'm running on one of my pc's is Windows XP Pro.....I had a folder with my study guides and resume in a folder called Certtraining...well one day I was playing around with EFS and encrypted the folder along with all it's subfolders on another physical volume say drive E. Well I d/loaded windows media player 11 beta and apparently caught a bad trojan since my system went from normal to super slow. I had my key for the encrypted file on my desktop in a folder and did not back it up to a disk..yeah I know duhhhhhh. Anyways I reformated the C drive since I was unable to repair the bug/trojan/virus (I was running bitdefender but still didn't catch it.ummm??) Well when I had my system back up and running and tried to open the encrypted file I was denied access to my files. I dont have the key to open this file so I'm out of luck unless I place it on a fat drive which I did on the same machine but still was unable to open the folders. Is there another way (Im guessing if I place it on a different machine say windows 98 maybe I can open it...any ideas or is there any tools out there that can decrypt this folder...I need my study guides badddd. Thnks in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Oct-2006, 05:58 AM #2
There is little chance of getting them back. You might try something like Advanced EFS Data Recovery, but by the time the software decrypts the folders, your exams may be long over.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Oct-2006, 09:30 AM #3
The data is gone. One of the dangers of using EFS. I can guarantee that putting the file on a disk and sticking it in a Windows 98 machine will not work. Think how useless EFS would be if it could be subverted that easily.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,908 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
27-Oct-2006, 12:22 PM #4
Check out these links, it is possible to recover EFS encrypted files if you are a "Recovery Agent".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887414

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259732

Another option if you haven't tried it already is to run an NTBACKUP on the encrypted files, and then have an administrator (preferrably the administrator account itself) and then restore the files to a FAT or FAT32 partition.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

27-Oct-2006, 12:26 PM #5
gurutech, the poster is not a Recovery Agent. Just an average Joe Home User who turned on EFS and didn't save the key. There is no way to recover the data now. The articles you posted do not apply in this situation.

Also, an administrator account isn't going to work either. The EFS key is linked to the account under which the files were encrypted. Once the account is gone, so is the ability to recover files. This has nothing to do with administrator rights or NTFS permissions.
Member with 76 posts.

27-Oct-2006, 05:06 PM #6
Okay real quick..I am the administrator, but if you're not the DRA for that particular key it doesn't matter if you do have a key it's not the same key as the former DRA.....yeah I was thinking about the moving the folder to a FAT 32 volume...which I did but the info was garbled....oh well time to rebuild my folders again. Thnks this post is CLOSED!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,908 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
27-Oct-2006, 05:11 PM #7
DoubleHelix - if you read my post, I said it is possible to recover the EFS files IF THE USER IS A RECOVERY AGENT. I never said he was.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!