Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Cursor in Password Login Box

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2006, 03:43 PM #1
Cool No Cursor in Password Login Box
This is an intermittant problem. I am running WinXP Pro SP2. When I boot my machine, everything works great. The bootup is good, the welcome screen shows everything and everything seems to be normal. Well, once I logout of the account that I am using, which can be any any account including the admin, I am returned to the welcome screen, but when I click on a password protected account, the password box appears with no cursor and I cannot enter anything. If I reboot the machine the welcome screen goes back to working and then it will mess up when i logout again. I can do the ctr+alt+del and login with any account that way, I am just needing to know if this is a corrupt file somewhere that needs to be reloaded or something. I have checked the PC for Virus's with AVG 7.5 Network Edition, and have also checked for spyware and adware with Spybot and Ad-aware scans. No virus's were found and only negligable items were found in the adware scans.

I have several pc's with XP PRO SP2 on them and have a handful that are giving me this problem. Any idea's?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,921 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
27-Oct-2006, 05:02 PM #2
How can you be pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL to login if you are being returned to the Welcome Screen?

In my experience, it's one or the other, but not both (unless you are running XP Pro, where you can hit CTRL-ALT-DEL twice from the Welcome Screen to switch logon methods for a single login attempt.)

27-Oct-2006, 06:19 PM #3
yes. I am in the welcome screen and hitting ctr+alt+del twice to use the other login screen, which works just fine. I would rather use the welcome screen for ease of use with the other user's.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,921 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
29-Oct-2006, 12:05 AM #4
What happens if you login initially from the welcome screen, then log out, then try logging in again? (without using CTRL-ALT-DEL at all)

30-Oct-2006, 01:31 PM #5
That is when the problem arrises. After a soft or hard reboot, The welcome screen works fine. When I go to login, it opens the password box and I enter pword and I can login without any problems. Then I can log out without any problems. Then when I go to log back in again, the password box appears without the cursor present and I am unable to enter any characters at all disabling me from logging in from the welcome screen. This happens on all the accounts. This particular machine has 3 login's. An administrator, Guest and one user account.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Nov-2006, 05:34 AM #6
same glitch
Hi, did you ever find out what the cause was? I have the exact same thing. I just reformatted my laptop and it showed up. I have no idea what update may have caused it. You have to hit ctrl alt delete to log onto an account because the cursor disappears, booting up is just fine, it happens after being on an account and then logging off and switching users.

I am using XP pro. My other PC also has the same issue.

very annoying.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Nov-2006, 05:46 PM #7
Anyone????????
Did anyone find a fix to this?

Happens to my PC (XP home, nothing out of the ordinary) on occasions.

My fix is to have a scratch user id that has no password configured. Login as this user, log out again and the password box has a cursor.

It's a really weird problem. More weird than annoying.

Vinny
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 358 posts.

09-Nov-2006, 06:57 PM #8
Is it a focus issue? Does the cursor show up if you hit tab a few times?
Computer Specs

10-Nov-2006, 02:37 PM #9
No, it's not a focus issue. I've got three account with passwords visible on the login screen. If I click the names, the password box displays against the appropriate user, just no cursor in the password box appears and you can't actually type anything. Tried tabbing, control tabbing, alt tabbing, everything I can think of.

Unfortunately, it's so intermittant (couple of times a week and not always when I'm trying to login) it's proving hard to track down.

Thanks for the suggestion....
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

15-Nov-2006, 12:22 AM #10
Puzzled
I have had the same problem. At first it was intermittent but, now it happens every time
someone logoffs a limited user account. Yes, you can press Ctrl, Alt,Delete twice and a logon screen for the administrator comes up so you can enter the administrator's password.

I have been searching for a solution for two months. I haven't found one yet. If anyone has a solution, please reply.

Thanks,
billb1970

Last edited by billb1970; 15-Nov-2006 at 09:34 AM..
Computer Specs

15-Nov-2006, 05:28 PM #11
Ok, well I'm glad it's not just me but still no closer to finding a cure

My instance of the problem isn't limited to limited accounts though, all my accounts are "administrator" equivalents.

Short of a re-install of XP or trying to rule out things one-by-one I'm guessing this is going to be a b---h to track down.

Vinny
Computer Specs
Member with 19 posts.

22-Nov-2006, 12:20 PM #12
The problem I had seemed to go away after I pressed Ctrl, Alt and Delete. I have not seen the problem since.
Bill
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2007, 06:18 PM #13
Same Problem
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I, like the rest, am experiencing it and I thought I was the only one. Thanks!
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2007, 08:14 PM #14
Found Microsoft Admission to Problem (Workaround Available)
As frustrating as this may be (I also have experienced this on my XP Home and Pro boxes, with SP2)- spending a few minutes searching the MS Knowledge-base proved to be fruitful.

There is an article named "Multiple versions of Comctl32.dll may cause both Windows XP style and Windows Classic style windows to appear in Windows XP" at this URL (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884883/) which discusses the issues and offers a workaround (that some of you have discovered, and now everyone knows about).

Unfortunately, M$ does not have a solution or fix for this problem :-((

Good luck, fellow XP-ers.

28-Sep-2007, 08:05 PM #15
Smile Missing cursor at Windows login - the solution
I don't claim the credit for this - I found it elsewhere, but it solved the missing cursor problem:

MS security update: Kb923191 is to blame. It came with a batch of updates sometime in 2006. If you remove it the problem will go away. It may be that your computer will be less secure as a result. I don't know. Personally I was so fed up with having to press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice to login that I was prepared to take the risk.

Anyway, here's how to do it...

Start - Control panel - add or remove programs (tick the "Show updates" box at the top). You should be able to see Kb923191 in the list. Uninstall it and don't forget not to re-install it the next time you do a windows update! Maybe MS will replace it with a bug-free version sometime - but don't hold your breath.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!