Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue Screen "unmountable Boot Volume" ...please Help!

(!)

Member with 209 posts.

29-Oct-2006, 12:46 AM #1
Blue Screen "unmountable Boot Volume" ...please Help!
i was on my computer (on aol) just doing nothing when suddenly i got the blue screen of death! i have not recently installed any hardware OR software, to my knowledge ...and now windows will not let me in - same blue screen every time. does anyone know what this is, and how i can possibly fix it on my own without having to pay a ton of money i don't have for a tech to come to me? a phone tech suggested it might be a spyware issue. if you think so, can you possibly recommend a program that i can buy on CD and is bootable (that i can run while booting up, since that is where the problem is occurring)? or just any ideas anyone has would be great! ...i am running windows xp on a dell system that's about 1.5 years old, i am sorry if i'm leaving out a lot of information - i want to give you more but i had to travel to this computer just so i could reach you guys and gals over the internet. any help you could give would be amazing! i will check back here tomorrow ...thank you so much for all the times you've helped me... princi*
Member with 17,584 posts.

29-Oct-2006, 01:48 AM #2
Look at this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555302
It suggests you have damaged files, but it could also be as the result of a hard drive failure or other hardware failure.
Computer Specs
Member with 760 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2006, 01:59 AM #3
check this
It looks like you need to run the check disk tool from booting to a XP CD and useing what is called the Recovery Concil. Here is the link; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185/en-us
Member with 209 posts.

29-Oct-2006, 02:23 PM #4
i want to sincerely thank both of you for taking the time to help me. i pray that it will work and, if you want i'll update on what happens. i'm just so grateful for both of you and every member of this community who has helped me in my times of need. i wish that i knew enough to pay it back or forward. thank you so so much. *keeping my fingers crossed* princi
Member with 209 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 03:17 PM #5
hello ...at first i couldn't even get into the recovery console - i have no idea what i'm doing and only got into it by dumb luck (trying F12 even though i didn't know to use that button, i just decided to try it) but once i got to a blue windows setup screen and was shown the option to use "r", i would type "r" and nothing would happen (nor for the other options as well). somehow, after running fix-it utilities by ontrack (i don't know if that had anything to do with it) i tried again and this time the "r" command worked .................but, i typed "chkdsk/r" (i think i tried it both with a space between chkdsk and /r and without a space) in dos which is what i thought i was supposed to type and dos keeps responding that it's not a valid command. and if i type just "chksdsk" without the /r, dos responds that the volume appears to be good and was NOT checked ...but that if i can type "/p" if i want to check it anyway. so i tried "/p" and "chkdsk/p" and neither of those were valid commands. i don't know what i'm doing wrong, and i don't know what to do. and i am very worried that my HD is just dead because, fix-it utilities ran diagnostics (i can provide you with the results if you want) and my HD failed both the read and verify tests, and when i tried to run fix-it's disk fixer tool, it couldn't detect the drive. i don't know anything, but to me that seems bad...

erm, just a question ...........if i type the command "fixboot" what will happen? would that wipe out anything that's left on my HD?

thanks for trying to help me, so far. and .................HAPPY HALLOWEEEEEN!!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Oct-2006, 05:03 PM #6
I see where your making a mistake. Boot to the windows xp disk again and choose option R, at this point it should ask you which installation you want to work with. Hit the 1 key on your keyboard, you will need to make sure that a 1 shows on your screen before you press the enter key. Next, it may ask you for a password, try hitting the enter key one time. It should bring you to a command prompt. if it does then enter the admin password that was set up on the system, if you don't know it, you still maybe able to get around it if your able to boot the pc into safemode and alter the registry key. Once you get to a command prompt then here is where you want to type chkdsk /r and press enter. This will take some time to run so, just walk away from your computer, it should take about an hr to an hr and a half to complete.

Once this is complete, you can try to reboot the pc without booting to cd and see if that gets you back to your disk top. If it don't then you will need to boot from cd rom again, press R, choose the installation, enter password (just hit enter key if no password), and type fixboot.

To answer your question in techie terms it writes a new boot sector on the system partition. In lay man terms, it tells you pc how to load windows xp.

Good luck ,,,,, let me know if this helped out some.

If you want to know more about the recovery console you can read this article.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial117.html
Member with 209 posts.

31-Oct-2006, 06:51 PM #7
i'm confused because i was able to make it to the command prompt part, but, i do not recall being asked which installation i want to work with.
and also, once i'm in command prompt that isn't working properly because when i type chkdsk /r (i think i did it without the space - could that be the problem?) dos responds that it's not a valid command so i don't know what to do. i have to leave here for the day so all i can do is go back there and try again without the space and, definitely let you know what happens as soon as i can get back to this computer. sincere thanks, and warmest wishes princi*
Member with 209 posts.

01-Nov-2006, 03:18 AM #8
dear gang, i am emailing you from THE embattled computer and, it's all because of your wonderful guidance! i just love this community so much, that you all help each other and us people who don't know much about computers, out of the goodness of your hearts. i wish i could individually repay the kindness of each person who's helped me...

i don't want to trouble you for anything else (for a while, anyway, until i break something else - LOL) but... (i know all of this is long-winded ........thank you to anyone who reads it...) i am not sure what caused this "unmountable boot volume" error - i had not, that i know of, recently installed any hardware or software or touched any of the cables that have been on my computer since day one. ...in hindsight, before it happened the computer was really acting bizarre - at a snail's pace even when i was only running my internet, and it would often crash. ...i feel like (i could be wrong) maybe there's just too much on here -too many programs? maybe conflicts? too much data/music/videos stored? i also did have kazaa on here and that was the biggest mistake ever. and/or maybe my registry is screwed up?
can anyone suggest what would be some sound steps to take from here on out? the absolute first thing i am doing tomorrow is, BACKING UP. yes, i am dumb dumb dumb and did not have a BACKUP so if this had not worked my life would have been "over". i wish i could remind everyone to BACK UP because disaster does strike when you least expect it! beyond being prepared, though, i feel like the HD could fail on me again. when this first happened a phone tech suggested that my computer might be riddled with spyware and/or viruses, but i've run McAffee, Ad-Aware, and Ewido Anti-Spyware and those issues seem to be under control. i have HijackThis on my computer (another thing i owe you wonderful people for introducing me to!) and can run it and post a log if that would help, i'll do whatever you suggest.

MUCH LOVE FOR YOU ALL.................... princi*
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

01-Nov-2006, 09:35 AM #9
As a side note, if you get this error again, chkdsk /r will fix it temporarily again. But backing up your data is a very wise choice, as either a full format and reinstall of windows or a replacement of your hard drive may be on the horizon in the future. I'm not saying your hard drive will fail for sure, but an unmountable boot volume error is one of the early indications.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME stop errors are very rarely caused by malware. Usually they indicate either OS corruption or a failing hard drive. chkdsk finds the bad sectors on your hard drive and flags them so your computer won't try to store or access data on them.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

01-Nov-2006, 10:46 AM #10
If you have access to another computer this is what you are most likely going to have to do.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353

If this procedure for doing a clean install fails for any reason then I would suggest purchasing a new hard drive preferably a larger capacity hard drive and get it installed but the absolute first thing you do is back up the data.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Member with 209 posts.

01-Nov-2006, 05:37 PM #11
i will definitely follow both your words of wisdom. i don't have any spare media to backup, but i'm going to get some right away and do that. and i will prepare myself for probably having to install a new hard drive. i just hope i can back up before anything goes wrong, and i'm grateful for the chance ...thank you all SO MUCH!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

07-Oct-2007, 02:14 PM #12
I have the same problem and I couldn't fix it using this method. Please read my post found here if you can help.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...ml#post5194093
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!