Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

lost desktop start button and taskbar

(!)

Member with 194 posts.

04-Nov-2006, 09:51 PM #1
lost desktop start button and taskbar
Hello.
After removing usenext,I did a clean up,and restarted my computer.I do not have a desktop anymore.all that is left is the picture I use as a desktop.no more icons,no more taskbar and no more start button.
please how do I get it back. I can use the task manager to start a few programs,so the programs are not gone,it seems to be just the desktop.
Thank you
Jean-Guy Roberge
b1ffyi59@gmail.com
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Nov-2006, 10:26 PM #2
the name of the file that shows your taskbar and icons is explorer.exe

try launching that from task manager. It's a workaround, but it will get you in. If you have the same problem after a reboot, maybe try last known good config. If that doesn't help, you may want to wander over to the virus and spyware forum.
Member with 194 posts.

05-Nov-2006, 12:40 AM #3
Thanks.
I just tried that and it works.I also did a virus scan with Avast and it picked up a few virusses,which I probably got from installing usenext and then removing it.They probably don't like us to remove their program!.....One way or the other,it's fixed now and thank you.
Jean-Guy Roberge
Member with 194 posts.

05-Nov-2006, 06:37 AM #4
Hello
I thought the trouble was fixed,wrong!....
If I use the task manager,I can get the desktop back and everything else,but everytime I restart,I don't have a desktop.I found that explorer did not open when I restarted,so I found something that told me to force open explorer on restart,which I did.now,explorer opens,but only one instance of it,while I always had two before.And I still don't have a desktop or taskbar or start button.
If you have any ideas,please I don't feel like reinstalling windows Xp again.
Jean-Guy Roberge
b1ffyi59@gmail.com
Member with 1,122 posts.

Experience: joan
05-Nov-2006, 08:25 AM #5
task bar
Member with 194 posts.

05-Nov-2006, 10:54 PM #6
Hello
I tried that program to re-establish the taskbar desktop and all.It did not work for me but it was worth trying.I have a program called registry fix which I used to restore all items on the start up and it still doesn't start with a desktop taskbar and a start button.
So when I start I only get the picture I use as a desktop backgroung without anything else.I use task manager to open explorer.exe in windows and all needed processes openand I get my desktop back,start button and taskbar and everything else.
Is there a way to make sure that explorer.exe starts when windows start?
Thanks
Jean-Guy Roberge
b1ffyi59@gmail.com
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Nov-2006, 11:59 PM #7
The fact that explorer.exe is not starting indicates there is something interfering with it, or maybe your registry repair program deleted the registry key that prompts it to start. I would suggest checking your system for malware...

Just a thought here... does explorer run automatically if you start in safe mode?
Member with 194 posts.

06-Nov-2006, 02:53 AM #8
I tried a few things and installed a new program.When I checked in my programs list in the start menu,I couldn't find it but I noticed an entry called desktop and it was a notepad file.I copied it to the startup programs just to try and it worked.the file was desktop configuration settings.I don't know why it turned out in the start menu with all the programs.
Thanks for helping.it makes me learn more stuff about the computer
Jean-Guy Roberge
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-May-2007, 12:53 AM #9
hi, I also have lost my desktop icons and start bar. Explorer.exe is not displayed in task manager either. Although I have 6 lines of SVCHOST.EXE (not sure why I have 6) If I run explorer.exe it loads up the desktop then it dissapears, loads up then dissapears again many times then does not return. Please help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!