Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer getting Lag spikes.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Nov-2006, 12:34 PM #1
Computer getting Lag spikes.
So my computer is catching some lag spikes. Ive never had any problems with it before, it has always ran fine... Up until I formated my C drive the other day. I have 2 drives (C and D). I just formatted the C drive(I have formatted a thousand times before in my life). Well after I formatted and re-installed and started using my computer I noticed I was getting some serious lag spike problems.

These problems mainly occur when I am using my D drive. Whenever I go to unrar something I will get some major lag. Enough lag to where it stresses me out because my mouse is jumping around like crazy and the unrar process takes a good 20minutes longer than it should. Also when I start up firefox It lags for a good 5 seconds. Also when I right click things throughout my computer I will catch some lag spikes. Along with other times here and there.

I have ran Spybot/Ad-ware. I have NOD32. I dont have a crapload of programs running either. I have a Gig of DDR so ram isnt a problem. I just cant figure out what it is. Its really hard 2 do much of anything on my computer because I get too damn stressed out from the lag problems. I havnt even attempted to play any games on it, only because I know they will lag like crazy.

I hope this was understandable. If not, just let me know and Ill be able to reword any parts of it for you or give you more information on the problem. Thanks in advance for any and all your help! =D
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 04:38 PM #2
I just finshed defragging both drives, didnt change anything :/
Member with 33 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:09 PM #3
What type of drives are they IDE, SATA, SCSI ?
Have you checked the drives for errors with chkdisk or scandisk utilities (including checking for bad sectors)?
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:13 PM #4
IDE.

I havnt ran scandisk or anything as of yet, but will do so now.

As I said, Ive never had any problems with this drive, it worked all the way up until the moment I formatted my C drive. but ill go ahead and do that now. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 05:26 PM #5
I ran Scandisk Pro 1.0 and didnt find any problems whatsoever :/
Member with 157 posts.

Experience: I know some, I know a little!
12-Nov-2006, 06:01 PM #6
hey... i had a similar problem but with iTunes... and i think it started to leak to gaming.

this link:
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/4...ts-almost.html

what i found worked was turning off the computer, unplugging everything, and uninstalling and reinstalling the RAM. maybe let it set for a while so that any capacitors drain any charge they have. then fire her up! hopefully it works =)

oh yea, i had a problem with people responding to that thread like yours..(although they are pretty much different - but similar problems.)
Senior Member with 1,182 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Nov-2006, 06:05 PM #7
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/.../HDDlife.shtml
you could try that diag software

And one of my favorites Sandra diag utility
http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Utilit...-Standard.html
Member with 33 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM #8
Since this happened after a reinstall and there were no problems before that, could there have been a setting for the dirve or controller that has changed? If re-seating the memory does not help, you may want to verify that the drive supports direct memory access DMA. Having that set wrong can cause issues. In the device manager find the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controller section and expand it. Find the controller and or channel corresponding to drive/s you are having trouble with and right click/ properties. In the advanced settings tab, change the transfer mode to PIO only and hit ok. Restart and see if that helps, if not you can change it back.
P.S. Im not 100% sure, but I think a reinstall can sometimes reset some bios settings? You may want to look in the bios for a setting that affects those drives.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 11:12 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Bartender
Since this happened after a reinstall and there were no problems before that, could there have been a setting for the dirve or controller that has changed? If re-seating the memory does not help, you may want to verify that the drive supports direct memory access DMA. Having that set wrong can cause issues. In the device manager find the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controller section and expand it. Find the controller and or channel corresponding to drive/s you are having trouble with and right click/ properties. In the advanced settings tab, change the transfer mode to PIO only and hit ok. Restart and see if that helps, if not you can change it back.
P.S. Im not 100% sure, but I think a reinstall can sometimes reset some bios settings? You may want to look in the bios for a setting that affects those drives.

I took out my ram for a good 30minutes and put back in, and restarted, also set the drive to PIO. Didnt help. Its actually both drives, just more the D drive. When I first start up windows and my programs are loading I get some lag spikes, so that tells me the C drive is ****ed too.

Ive tried everything everyone has mentioned in this thread. Never had any problems like this, ever. Worked perfectly fine up until I formatted, only reason I formatted to begin with was to get rid of all the junk I had on my C drive.

The lag spikes are driving me insane though. Cant figure them out :/
Member with 33 posts.

12-Nov-2006, 11:37 PM #10
Well unfortunately I'm out of ideas hopefully someone else can suggest something else. Again, you could look in the BIOS for something that may affect those drives, but at this point it probably won't help. schusterjo posted some other utilities that may find something, but I'm at a loss. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what turns up.

P.S. On a tangent, have you right click my computer/ select manage/ click + event viewer and looked at the logs in this section (especially Application and System) ? Maybe something in there could point you in a direction.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

13-Nov-2006, 03:13 PM #11
I checked the my comp/manage area and nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Im bound to go crazy trying to figure this out.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

14-Nov-2006, 12:12 PM #12
Ive tried everything I can think of. Anyone else out ther ehave any ideas? Much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

15-Nov-2006, 03:06 PM #13
UPDATE-

I formatted again, the problem is still going on, not as bad it seems.

Ive only noticed it though when I am messing with my backup drive (D drive). and really the onyl time I have noticed it so far is when I am doing something like unrarring a file. C drive can unrar just fine but when I try to unrar something on the D drive it lags horribly. The unrar process takes a good 10x longer than it should and my comp lags badly as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

15-Nov-2006, 08:09 PM #14
Bump. Someone help please.
Senior Member with 1,182 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Nov-2006, 09:34 PM #15
I would look into a failing hard drive if you formated and it is still continuing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!