Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unmountable Boot Volume (no XP CD)

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

02-Dec-2006, 07:41 AM #1
Unmountable Boot Volume (no XP CD)
Macguyver, I need your help!

problem:

error: unmountable boot volume (I've googled everything already, no luck).

process:

- normal and safe mode boot doesn't work.
- I booted from my Win XP CD, but the CD is possibly corrupted. (the 1st time, it says cpqarray.sys corrupt. 2nd time, it passed it but another file was corrupt).
- I tried my WIN2k cd, and I saw the welcome message. It says there's no hard-drive installed When tried to Repair (or install).
- I tried the DELL diagnostic by pressing F12 (?) and ran a test. The hard-drive has unreadable sectors.
- I shut down.

next day:

- The hard-drive was less noisy and much faster. I tried safe-mode with command prompt, it worked.
- I did chkdsk and it said "read-only mode". It showed me some unreadable sectors.
- I did chkdsk /p and chkdsk /f but it said its using the volume so it will perform chkdsk when I reboot.
- I rebooted to normal mode, but chkdsk won't run. I get a C000031a Hard Error. (I looked it up but nothing helped).
- Booting from my Win XP and win2k CD still doesn't work.

tools:

- another dell laptop + cd + usbs. (no burner). with internet access.
- 120gb external usb HD with 5gb free. (MAYBE with a win xp iso backup in there)
- USB mp3 with 400mb.
- a windows 2k cd.
- a (corrupted/scratched) win XP cd

My priorities:

- I have a few text files, password files, and work documents I'd like to BACKUP RIGHT AWAY to a USB if I can. Would it work from safe mode? I've only tried safe mode with prompt.

IMPORTANT!

- I don't want to reformat and lose all my files.
- I don't have any CD-Rs.
- I don't have access to a working win xp cd. (I would like to fix it ASAP, not wait for dell or buy another cd. But will buy another CD if no other solutions.)
- I don't have a floppy disk drive.

Solutions I'm considering:

- I need access to backup my important documents. I read about booting from a USB using BERT but I don't have a win XP CD. Any other solutions not requiring win xp cd to allow basic recovery or access to DOS?

- I'm willing to install anything on my usb to recover and fix my hard-drive.

Any solutions? I've been banging my head over this one!
Senior Member with 521 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Dec-2006, 07:59 AM #2
Firstly, Hi and welcome.
I know it can be frustrating when they don't work, I have spent many hours debating whether to throw mine out of the window at times.
If it is only safe mode with the cammand prompt will open then, you can try and copy your important files you need using this, (if you can access my documents then great) but if you can only use the command prompt then this link --> http://www.c3scripts.com/tutorials/msdos/ <-- may be able to help with that.

Secondly, this problem can be caused be one of two things either a corrupt boot.ini file or a failing or failed hard drive.
THe following URL will help you with this http://www.c3scripts.com/tutorials/msdos/.
I hope this helps, and get back to me if you need any further advice on the matter.
ANthony

02-Dec-2006, 08:25 AM #3
Thanks for your help anthony. I'm not sure if I can copy files from c:/ to my usb from safe mode prompt ... but I'll try.

As for the solution, are you sure you gave me the right link?

Quote:
Secondly, this problem can be caused be one of two things either a corrupt boot.ini file or a failing or failed hard drive.
THe following URL will help you with this http://www.c3scripts.com/tutorials/msdos/.
It's the same link as the first one. I know I have unreadable bad sectors so I thought of performing a chkdsk /p but as I explained above, I can't even do that because I get a hard disk error!

P.S: I found out my external HD USB has a copy of WIN XP.

What's the solution?

02-Dec-2006, 08:29 AM #4
Sorrya bout that, I didn't copy it right.
Here is the correct link http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000630.htm
Although you have tried the chkdsk /p etc, you may find that it is to do with your hard drive failing.
You can test this by following the section towards the bottom of that page.
I hope you manage to get things sorted
Anthony

02-Dec-2006, 08:41 AM #5
Thank you.

I have already read this site. To use the recovery console, I need a Win XP CD. I don't have that! Which is why I haven't found solutions anywhere and posted in a forum. :-(

I need another solution that doesn't require the CD.

So, I found a thread http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8135.html
It says you can install Recovery Console to boot menu, eliminating the need of Windows CD. But you need the CD to do it!

I have Win XP in my external HD. d:\winxp\x1ahoem_en\

Would it work if I run it from my USB?

I just tried safe-mode with prompt again, but it no longer works. I get that Hard Disk Error ... :-(

*cries*

02-Dec-2006, 08:45 AM #6
Ok you say that you have Win XP on your external? well do you have access to a DVD burner at all?
If so then i can tell you how to burn yourself a copy of your windows disk. Do you have a license key / serial number?

02-Dec-2006, 10:36 AM #7
Anthony! I scrubbed my cd the best I could to clean it and I got it running! I saw the welcome message.
I pressed "R" To get the recovery console. Then it said:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which windows installation would you like to log onto
<TO Cancel, press ENTER> ?

So I pressed 1

Type the admin password:

so I typed in my usual login password when windows boots, but it didn't work?! I also tried my boot password but that didnt work either!

After 3 tries, it booted me out!

What administration password is it asking? Is it the one from the windows login when it asks for your username and password when you have several users? Could someone refresh my memory?
I've tried all my passwords but it won't work. :-(

02-Dec-2006, 10:41 AM #8
The administrator password is normally "blank" as default, unless you have added one yourself.

02-Dec-2006, 11:08 AM #9
OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH ANTHONY! :-)

I finally got chkdsk /p running! I'll try "fixboot" after that and I hope it can fix it !

02-Dec-2006, 11:19 AM #10
Hi I am glad that worked for you.
I am going to have to go out now, and if you want any more advice, just post back or PM me and i'll get back to you ASAP.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Jul-2007, 07:45 AM #11
Hi everyone.

Before, whenever I turned on my computer, a blue screen popped. The error was unmountable boot volume. I googled it and did:

Damaged File System
If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps: 1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

However, I was only able to get Shared Documents/Shared Pictures/Shared Music files back. I was not able to get My Documents/My Pictures/My Music Files. I have two accounts on my computer.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!