Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

msconfig: an access denied error; need to be administrator?!?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Dec-2006, 02:00 AM #1
msconfig: an access denied error; need to be administrator?!?
Hi,
I just recently tried making changes to the startup using msconfig to try to fix a different problem, and in doing so, came across another. Whenever I try to make a change to the startup, I get a "an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes".
However, I am the administrator when I'm making these changes.
The last time I used msconfig was about a year ago, and it worked fine. What's going on?
I tried searching for answers, but couldn't find any that would help me
Account Disabled with 308 posts.

Experience: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician
05-Dec-2006, 02:04 AM #2
What service are you attempting to change?
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

06-Dec-2006, 04:35 PM #3
I was trying to disable the HP Solution Center from starting up following a recommendation to "fix" a bug w/ the solution center
Member with 1,122 posts.

Experience: joan
06-Dec-2006, 04:41 PM #4
zone alarm
Do you have Zone Alarm installed?

try turning it off and then run msconfig

joan
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 10:02 PM #5
No, I do not have Zone Alarm; here is what I have
Windows XP Home SP2
Windows Defender
Ad-Aware SE
Norton Systemworks w/ AV 2005
Norton Personal Firewall 2005
I have run a full system AV scan, Windows Defender Quick Scan, and Ad-Aware full scan just a few days ago and found nothing.

07-Dec-2006, 10:51 PM #6
can you please go through the procdeure that you are taking to disable this service
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

11-Dec-2006, 07:52 PM #7
Login under admin account -> Start -> Run ->msconfig -> Startup Tab -> Uncheck "HPWuSch2" -> OK -> "Access Denied Error" -> OK -> Exit with Restart

Last edited by snailshell; 11-Dec-2006 at 08:00 PM..

12-Dec-2006, 09:46 PM #8
Tried disabling a different service to make sure that its not the HP service doing it?
Senior Member with 2,326 posts.

12-Dec-2006, 11:21 PM #9
Instead of using msconfig to disable a startup item try this:
You can go here and download this little utility to remove the entry that you unchecked in msconfig.Just re-check it in msconfig, then open the tool and delete it or uncheck it
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

An icon is placed in the control panel,double click on it,when it opens check all of the tabs.All items that are in startup should be listed here,just right click on the one you don't want and select delete or you can just uncheck the one you don't want to start on startup.
Note:The Startup Control Panel won't find anything that is unchecked
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

18-Dec-2006, 06:20 PM #10
Ok, I am able to disable the startup items through msconfig even though msconfig gives me an error, including the HP Solution Center.
On a second note, I noticed that it takes my computer a little under ten minutes from power on to when all startup programs are finished loading. Is this normal? (I already tried disabling ones that I felt were unnecessary).
Senior Member with 2,326 posts.

19-Dec-2006, 01:14 AM #11
Strictly speaking,you don't really have to have anything in startup.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my antivirus and firewall.Personally,I don't find it all that difficult to start programs when I need them and shut them down when I'm done with them.

Click Start/Run Type: msconfig OK
Click on the Startup tab and uncheck anything you don't need to start on bootup.

To learn ALL there is to know about "Startup" go here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Or as I told you in my last post:
Instead of using msconfig to disable a startup item try this:
You can go here and download this little utility to remove the entry that you unchecked in msconfig.Just re-check it in msconfig, then open the tool and delete it or uncheck it
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

An icon is placed in the control panel,double click on it,when it opens check all of the tabs.All items that are in startup should be listed here,just right click on the one you don't want and select delete or you can just uncheck the one you don't want to start on startup.
Note:The Startup Control Panel won't find anything that is unchecked in msconfig

14-Jan-2007, 07:51 PM #12
I noticed your posting. I am having the same problem only thing is I don't know what program caused it. Have nothing checked in my startup.

At this point all I want to find out is could this harm my computor? I am tired of finding out what happened

Hoping you can help. Also, hope you don't mind my butting in.
Thanks in advance
/
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jan-2007, 11:33 PM #13
'An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes'. while trying to use MSCONFIG

The culprit is a security update for the HP PSC 1410 printer software.
PML Security Update pmsvptch.exe v1.0 released on 2006-11-07 for the software from HP's website.
It causes a service "PML Driver HPZ12" to start in services.msc which would interfere with the rights/privileges.
we need to uninstall the software. But if still the service doesn't go.
Then we need to manually delete the leftover files of HP software from program files & windows folders & their sub-folders carefully.
If Still no respite.
Then, finally go to Registry Editor & search for keywords "pml" & "hpz12" & deleted all entries that showed that they were of HP.
A restart & the problem will be gone.

If the problem still persists, we need to turn off the "OS Firewall" in Zone Alarm: Go to Program Control > Main and press the first "Custom" button from the top. Uncheck "Enable OS Firewall".
Trust me ......the problem will be gone with the wind.
Regards
feroze khan
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2007, 11:31 AM #14
HP software - doncha luvvit?
I, too, have had this administrator problem when using MSCONFIG after installing HP printer software.

I have finally removed all of the HP .exe files from the startup routine. This included the memory-hungry HPZ12.exe mentioned above, which I set to manual startup by going to hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\pml driver hpz12\start in Windows Registry and altering the start setting to 3 (manual). The printer still works ok.

The reason for doing this via the Registry, rather than tweaking the Pml hpz12 entry in Services, was that HP seems determined I should not adjust this startup item easily and refused any alteration of the startup options using Services.

Although the error message I get when making any adjustments under MSCONFIG (not just to HP programs) says I need Administrator privileges to do so, in fact the startup changes do take effect. So far this fault has therefore been merely a hassle; but I am concerned that if the Administrator status is not properly recognised by the system, someday something else that responds only to an Administrator will refuse to be changed.

I see that when I installed the printer software, HP kindly set up a new user account, 'ASP.NET Machine A...' on my machine without asking my permission. Since I don't believe in coincidences I am sure this must have fnurgled my administrator permissions (and on rebooting after installation I was asked to log on, which my setup did not previously require - this problem solved via Control Panel>User Accounts).

Q.1: Is the 'ASP.NET Machine A...' user account important for running my HP C618 printer (admittedly, excellent; shame about the software), or can I just delete it? I access the printer via wifi, over a relayed router system.

Q.2: How can I get full control back for my Computer Administrator account? I have tried setting up a second one with the same privileges, but with no improvement.

Q.3: Is HP ashamed of itself? (If not, why not?)

Q.4: More to the point, has it fixed this b*-awful Photosmart software yet? If so, links?

Simon the Brit
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: self-taught/learning
26-May-2007, 12:04 PM #15
mizmander
I also have the "access denied" error when using msconfig to change start-up programs. I have read the prior posts from all of you who have discussed (cussed in my case) the issue. I will try the program recommended to replace using misconfig. I see most of the posts are a year old, however there is one recent one, so I don't feel too out of date. I do have HP printer installed, but not the one referred to in posts, so the updates would not be the same. It does look like HP is the culprit in these issues so I will have to try to solve my problem with the same procedures. Thanks for all of your input. Any new ideas, please email me.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!