Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Whats the best way to do a computer sweep after someone else has used your computer?

(!)

Member with 97 posts.

09-Jan-2007, 10:11 PM #1
Whats the best way to do a computer sweep after someone else has used your computer?
Hi I'm running XP with XP Firewall, AVG anti virus and Adaware, I was wondering if theres any way I can sweep my computer after someone else has used it?, does anyone else here do this? , I'm not worried about the other user intentionally installing nasties on my computer, It's just that a lot of other users are very blase about what they download, what sites they visit and what emails they open.
I'm thinking of doing a system restore, would this get rid of any nasties or am I just being paranoid?
Thanks.
Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Yes
09-Jan-2007, 10:21 PM #2
By doing a 'sweep' do you want to just scan it for spware/malware? if so go here and click the free scan button on the left.
http://www.ewido.net/en/
Member with 97 posts.

10-Jan-2007, 08:37 AM #3
Hi, I downloaded AVG Spyware and ran that, got quite a lot of tracking cookies but nothing else, as far as other unwanted things I now have a toolbar thats been added without my knowledge, I'm thinking system restore would get rid of stuff like that though wouldn't it? , otherwise I could delete it manually, I was thinking that by using system restore it would get rid of any other stuff that I haven't discovered yet.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jan-2007, 08:43 AM #4
Best way to get rid of the extra things that someone else installed is to go thru add/remove programs and uninstall these things manually.

Then password protect Windows with a special password that no one will be able to figure out. Do not use birthday or anything that can be associated with you.

Last way is to not let anybody use your computer at all no matter what. Also find the people who messed your computer up and charge each one $100.00 each for the maintenance you had to perform on your system and basically because they installed stuff on your computer you did not know about or want.

Security starts with you and as long as it is only you that has access to your own computer it makes security higher than any one can apply.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!