Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Usb Device Not Recognized

(!)

Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2007, 04:09 PM #1
Angry Usb Device Not Recognized
Windows is driving me nuts with this pop up message:

"USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

When I follow instructions to fix the problem it says, "Try to reconnect the device. If Windows does not recognize it, replace it."

I don't have anything connected to the USB port they indicate and my system seems to be operating okay.

I just want to block the pop up message and move on. Clicking the close button only closes it for a few minutes, and then it pops up again.

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 and Windows XP Home Edition.

Jack
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,025 posts.

22-Jan-2007, 08:33 PM #2
In Device Manager right click on the USB Controller - Properties - Advanced tab - check "Do not show me USB errors." I have no idea what it thinks it's not recognizing.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 475 posts.

23-Jan-2007, 02:24 AM #3
USB Notice
A "device not recognized" notice about an unused USB port may be a symptom of a malfunctiong port/driver? I would check it out.
Member with 18 posts.

23-Jan-2007, 12:32 PM #4
I tried but unable to find any advanced tab. I even disabled the "Unkown USB device, and tried to uninstall it. Seconds later I get a message that new hardware has been found and installed, and the damn thing is once again listed under USB's as an "Unknown device."
Computer Specs
Member with 3,729 posts.

23-Jan-2007, 12:59 PM #5
A phantom USB device can be dust in the connector. Shut down and power off your machine, then for each USB port, plug in a USB cable and then unplug it. Do this a couple of times. Or, if you can get to them easily, give them a blast of canned air.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Enough Knowledge To Foul Things Up Royally
23-Jan-2007, 02:59 PM #6
You could try disabling (if you aren't going to use it for anything) or uninstalling and reinstalling the drive by rtclick on my computer> properties > hardware > device manager > expand usb, rtclick on problem drive, select desired action.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,025 posts.

23-Jan-2007, 09:23 PM #7
"I tried but unable to find any advanced tab."

Maybe my instructions were misleading. Click on the + in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers and then right click on each of the individual Controllers below that.
Member with 18 posts.

25-Jan-2007, 02:14 PM #8
I was able to snuff the rascal by customizing my task bar behavior to "always hide USB device not recognized."

Thanks for your help and follow-up.

Jack
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2007, 01:35 PM #9
This still has not fixed it all that has been done is hide the problem and that is not a fix....
Junior Member with 1 posts.

24-Aug-2007, 12:22 PM #10
Hi there,
I had a very similar problem,
Whenever I turned on the computer and logged into windows, as soon as I turned on my wifi I got that message -"USB device not recognized", I soon realized it was the bluetooth adapter. I tried everything I could think of, uninstalling the drivers, installing updates and patches, and was even considering a reinstall as I could not get the bluetooth radio to work,
I came across a setting in the BIOS that enables or disables USB emulation, the factory setting on my computer was enabled, I disabled it and hey presto, that error message went away and the device started working again.

Let us know if that works for you
Junior Member with 2 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 07:19 AM #11
hellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead.exe
Hi there,
I had a very similar problem,
Whenever I turned on the computer and logged into windows, as soon as I turned on my wifi I got that message -"USB device not recognized", I soon realized it was the bluetooth adapter. I tried everything I could think of, uninstalling the drivers, installing updates and patches, and was even considering a reinstall as I could not get the bluetooth radio to work,
I came across a setting in the BIOS that enables or disables USB emulation, the factory setting on my computer was enabled, I disabled it and hey presto, that error message went away and the device started working again.

Let us know if that works for you
hi..i didnt get the point on where to find the enables or disables USB emulation thingy, can u indicate where to find in in the bios of aa asus socket 478 mboard, got the same error but can find the "USB emulation".tanx

...ron

Experience: Beginner
07-Jan-2008, 05:50 PM #12
HP deskjet printer - "USB device not recognized"
I had the HP Deskjet 5160 printer working just fine for a couple of years and one day it started to give me this message error: "An USB device connected to your computer malfunctioned, .....". Uninstalling and re-installing the printer drivers and associated software did not fix the problem. None of the advice I found on the net worked. And then I decided to try it on the other desktop (I have two) and I got the same error ! I tried to connect it to my laptop, and again,the same error. I was ready to buy a new printer, but I decided first to replace the USB cable. Printer was recognized using a new cable, installation went smooth without errors, now is working again.

My advice : if the error occurs when a device is connected through an USB cable then try to replace the cable first. It worked for me.

08-Jan-2008, 05:32 AM #13
hi.

i got the same problem and eventually i fixed it... my advice is just shutdown the pc and i mean cut off its power source by unplugging it from the outlet, w8 for 20-30 sec and turn on ur pc, maybe it will help the problem.

causes
-too much static electricity on MOBO
-mobo needs to discharge that static

...ron

Experience: Beginner
14-Mar-2008, 05:10 PM #14
I had the same problem unistalled drivers and device and nothing worked until I change the usb cable ??!!
Computer Specs

Experience: just upgraded my mobo and CPU for 1st time...
25-Apr-2008, 05:48 AM #15
I dont know if my problem is related, but it seems to be.
I have just replaced the mobo and CPU, and while everything else seems to be working fine, none of the USB ports (frontal, rear and a 5 port PCI hub) are working. They have power, but no data transfer.
I have tried updating the drivers thru device manager, but then device manager stops responding, trying to install drivers from the mobo's CD or the hubs CD fails in the same way.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!