Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP with Airport Wireless Network: Limited or No Connectivity

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2007, 11:12 AM #1
Windows XP with Airport Wireless Network: Limited or No Connectivity
Hey Tech Support Guys,

I've recently started working at a studio that has its network setup via Airport Express, using DHCP and the 10.0.1.1 IP. Obviously my MacBook Pro works fine with this wireless network, but I brought my Dell Inspiron 700m PC with Windows XP Pro (v. 5.1.2600) to work and though it appears to establish a connection with the Airport, with 5 bars signal strength and 11Mbps speed, I get the "Limited or no connectivity" message, and can't connect to the Internet with a browser, email, or pinging, nor can I connect to the airport at 10.0.1.1. I checked the Status of the connection, and DHCP does not seem to be assigning my wireless card an IP in the 10.0.1.1 family and a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Rather, the IP address I get is 169.254.67.199, the subnet is 255.255.0.0, with no Default Gateway, DNS Server, or WINS Server. I searched the Web, and came across this site:

http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

which offers a bunch of things you can do to fix this apparently common problem. So I've done the following:

I've reset the TCP/IP stack.
I've applied the XP IP patch KB884020
I've applied the registry fix: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]?"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002
I couldn't set my duplex mode to "Full Duplex" or my link speed to "10Mbps" as they suggest, because the Dell device manager interface doesn't offer up those properties for modification.

After this I still get the "limited or no connectivity" message, with the blank DNS, etc.

So I tried two setups of Static IP:

First:
IP=10.0.1.5, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Gateway=10.0.1.1, PrimaryDNS=10.0.1.1, AlternateDNS=blank

Second:
IP=10.0.1.5, Subnet=255.255.255.0, Gateway=10.0.1.1, PrimaryDNS=that assigned by my ISP, AlternateDNS=that assigned my ISP

In both of these cases, I actually get a "Connected" message instead of the "Limited or No Connectivity", however, I still can't connect to the internet via a Web browser, e-mail, or pinging with a Command prompt.

So I'm at a bit of a loss, and don't know what to try next. Help please!!

Thanks so much,
Diane
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

24-Jan-2007, 09:14 PM #2
Is the network encrypted? If so, what system (WEP, WPA, Cisco)? Is the router locking you out via MAC Address filtering? Have you discussed your problem with the IT department?
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2007, 10:41 AM #3
Thanks so much for responding!

> Is the network encrypted? If so, what system (WEP, WPA, Cisco)?

The network is encrypted, with 128 bit WEP. Should I ask if we can temporarily disable the WEP and try connecting again? I mean, I get totally connected, good signal strength, high link speed...it just won't take that last leap and talk to the Internet.

> Is the router locking you out via MAC Address filtering?

Nope. Mac Address filtering isn't set up on the Airport.

>Have you discussed your problem with the IT department?

Unfortunately it's a very small design studio, and there is no IT department, and the guy who set up the network has only ever worked with Macs.

I read somewhere that the only way this guy was able to access an airport network was by uninstalling Windows XP Service Pack 2. Unfortunately, my Dell shipped with SP2 integrated into XP, and so it's supposedly near-impossible to remove. And besides, if I did manage to remove it I'd probably be opening myself up to security risks...

Any other thoughts?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,536 posts.

25-Jan-2007, 08:34 PM #4
"Should I ask if we can temporarily disable the WEP and try connecting again?"

Yes. And if you are successful, ask that when WEP is reenabled to make sure that a Hex key is used. NOT a password that gets translated to the key; different manufacturers often translate differently.

If the router's Dhcp server is enabled you should not be using a static IP. If the Dhcp server is disabled, you and that other guy gotta figure out the proper IP to use.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2007, 03:42 PM #5
We got a new Airport Extreme, which was designed to work with XP SP2, and now I can connect fine.

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys!

D
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!