Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Active window Keeps Deactivating

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

26-Jan-2007, 01:55 PM #1
Active window Keeps Deactivating
hi guys im looking for some help with this rather annoying problem...

the active window that i am using either on msn messenger, a forum or in IE keeps deactivating itself and stops me from typing...

i will be typing a message and then hit enter to send it and then i look up to find only half of my message is actually in the window because it is no longer active... (it's happened about 3 times whilst typing this message) i type and then look up to see that the active window is no longer active... in IE and msn messenger the top toolbar has changed to a lighter grey colour than normal and i have to click in the window i was using to make it active again and continue typing...

does anybody know what may be causing this and how to fix the problem as it is now getting very annoying...

appologies if anything i said didn't make much sense.. i am not very technical when it comes to problems like this but i would like some help from those who know a little more than me to try and fix this problem...

thanks in advance to anybody who has any suggestions to try and help me sort this out.
Member with 6,052 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jan-2007, 03:28 PM #2
When this happens try hitting Alt+Tab to see if there is a hidden error message or window that popped up behind another window.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

28-Jan-2007, 01:00 PM #3
thanks for the reply Augie65... i tried your advice but there are no hidden error messages that pop up when this occurs... anybody else have any suggestions as to the cause or the fix for this problem ??
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Apr-2007, 11:50 PM #4
Also have the same problem
I also seem to have the same problem, but not as frequently as DJ Jee. Mine will only do this about twice as I write this message. It is most noticeable when playing a game that is fullscreend rather than windowed. It will simply minimize the game to the tray, and I would have to click it for the window to return. It also does it in internet explorer or anything that runs in a window. My window becomes inactive and typing/functions stop in that window. I either have to click the window again to make it active, or sometimes the window becomes active again after about 2 seconds. Please post help with this problem. Thankyou
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Apr-2007, 02:21 AM #5
If you're using XP, go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and download #66 Prevent Programs from Stealing Focus, right side of the page.
To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.
Computer Specs

21-Apr-2007, 04:07 PM #6
Didn't work
I used this registry changer like you said, but it did not solve the problem. I was trying to figure out why it was making my window go inactive, because whenever the window became inactive, my cpu was being used like mad. I think that my problem may be different from DJ Jee's problem.

I watched my processes in the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) to see what was using so much cpu usage when the active window became inactive. It seems that when the system is idle, and the task manager window becomes inactive, iexplorer.exe takes about 66% of the cpu for about a second and a half, then goes off the process list. I think i may have a virus or keylogger or something so i'm being careful about what i use. I still need more help on this topic though so please offer any suggestions that you can. Thankyou
Computer Specs

22-Apr-2007, 11:54 PM #7
I still need some help here
I think my problem may be getting worse as it is seeming to become more and more frequent that this active window becoming non-active and iexplorer.exe is taking cpu processing. I just want to know if it is a dangerous virus, and how to get rid of it possibly, or if i should just format to get rid of it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!