Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: File title too long to fit into Recyle Bin

(!)

Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Feb-2007, 10:00 AM #1
Question Solved: File title too long to fit into Recyle Bin
When I tried to remove a couple dated data partition Cobian backups from my XHDD, the error message, 'File Title too large to fit into the Recycle Bin' appeared. The deletion of the several Gigs of data that was no longer needed was stopped. How do I manage to remove this material from the XHDD so that the space becomes available?

{redoak}
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 10:03 AM #2
What is the error? Is it the title of the file is too long or the size of the file is too big? Those are different errors. A file too large to fit in the recycle bin should delete itself anyway. You just can't recover it from the recycle bin. If I remember correctly, that message will have a Yes and No button (or OK and Cancel). One of the choices will delete the file.
Computer Specs

11-Feb-2007, 10:16 AM #3
Thanks for the reply. It is the TITLE that is too long. I am familliar with the 'file too large' matter, as I run into it regularly. The default answer always works and the deletion goes on its way.
[I must be becoming "wordy" to a fault!]
{redoak}
Member with 22,468 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 10:19 AM #4
To be certain, the exact error message is "File Title too large to fit into the Recycle Bin". Tried searching the Internet and didn't come up with that phrase.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 10:29 AM #5
You're going to have to post the exact text of the error. A screen shot would be even better.
Senior Member with 327 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Feb-2007, 10:37 AM #6
Came upon this , don't know how it will work but here it is:
Run command (Click start, run, cmd).
Go to the folder the file you want to delete. Something like "cd c:/somewhere"

Figure out what the first few letters are or as many letters you need to make that file unique and type in
del "uniquename"*

Example:

Folders File list:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.exe
abc.exe
abcd.exe

You want to delete the long one and only the long one, so type
del "abcdef"*
Senior Member with 327 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Feb-2007, 10:40 AM #7
If that doesn't work possibly this will:

Ok open the Command Prompt window. Now move to the folder where these file are by using the CD command Example:
CD c:\TheFolder
Now run this command
dir /x
This will give a list of the short file names like abcdefg~.mpg. And then delete the file using the short file name.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 10:50 AM #8
Have you tried navigating to the file in Windows Explorer and renaming it to something shorter?
Computer Specs

11-Feb-2007, 11:28 AM #9
Thanks all. I will be back with more specific info. I purposely used single (indirect) quotation marks to indicate the quote was not literal. The error message gave the suggestion to shorten the title, but I didn't see how I could locate the file(s) among many hundreds, perhaps thousands.

{redoak}
Member with 22,468 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 11:33 AM #10
Are you removing hundreds of files or just a "a couple dated data partition Cobian backups".

Also if giving a quote, try an be accurate. We can't know roughly what it says when there are quotes. Makes getting a solution much faster for you.

If it is thousands if files, try selecting a hundred or so at a time to delete. Should be able to find the problem one pretty quickly that way. Can also just see if one has an unusually long name if that is the error message.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 11:40 AM #11
If it is an outdated file(s) as you say, when you open Windows Explorer and navigate to your XHDD, sort the files by date. If you have a specific date in mind, you can rename all the files prior to that date.

To do a bulk rename, select the file farthest down the list that you want to rename by clicking on it with the left mouse button. Move your mouse up the column to the top of the list of files and click on the topmost file while holding down the shift key.

When the group of files you wish to delete have been highlighted, right-click the selected files and choose "Rename". Type in a name like "Deletable" and hit enter. The files will be renamed with a sequential numerical suffix.

You can then use the same selection process on the newly renamed files, right-click the selection, and choose "Delete".
Computer Specs

11-Feb-2007, 06:34 PM #12
Smile I have returned with info and message of success
First, let me say that I have managed to delete the Cobian backed up "Data Files" partition "D" that did contain hundreds if not thousands of individual files within many folders. I did this in ways similar to those suggested since I was here this morning. [I am beginning to be able to use simple computer 'smarts' in different cicumstances.] Essentially, I used "search" to find the offending files, and then changed the names.

I made a print screen image of the error message, but the file is way too large to be accommodated as an attachment. Here, as accurately as possible, is the text of the message: "The folder {name of the partiton given by Cobian} contains items whose name is too long for the Recycle Bin. Do you want to permanently delete it. [yes] [yes to all] [no] [cancel]"

When I clicked "yes to all," a second error message appeared virtually instantaneously (I didn't recall this this morning when I first posted.) saying access was denied to the file. It was at this point that the deletion process stopped when clicking "ok".

I shall be more careful in the future in my quoting of error messages, etc.

As always, I appreciate very much the responses and assistance I receive here at TSG.

I will close this Thread in a day or two.
{redoak}
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!