Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Right Clicking "My Computer"\Properties does nothing (and more)...

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2007, 05:24 PM #1
Right Clicking "My Computer"\Properties does nothing (and more)...
Something strange is happining with my computer. Certain things don't work, here's a few:

1. If I Right click and select "properties" on "My computer"... it does nothing.

2. Most icons in "Control Panel" don't open anything (add remove programs... sound... etc...)

3. Double clicking a file without an extention does nothing (used to pop up a "which program to open with" window.) What could be the problem?

Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
22-Feb-2007, 06:14 PM #2
It may be a sign of an infected system.

But to start with the basics:

When did this begin?

Have you tried doing a System Restore (start >run: msconfig > launch System Restore and choose a prior date)

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Can you post a Hijackthis scanlog?

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe
Member with 824 posts.

22-Feb-2007, 06:24 PM #3
Just a question?

Are you using xp pro?
Do you know if any policies were defined?
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

22-Feb-2007, 06:48 PM #4
re: my computer properties
I have done all the checks for original XP files and I have XP Pro SP2.

This started happening today. I did not change policies in the last few weeks. Yes, if I do a restore I know that will help but I was trying to avoid that since I have done things since.

Here's my hijackthis log for those who might be able to figure out the problem from it. The log seems fine to me except there is one entry that I don't understand why I have it:
WPDShServiceObj.dll I read that WPDShServiceObj.dll is a part of Microsoft® Windows® Vista Operating System and I use XP and don't recall that being there before.

LOG:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:46:30 AM, on 2/23/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Zvi\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: WinFax PRO (wfxsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFXSVC.EXE
Junior Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Einstein
22-Feb-2007, 07:21 PM #5
do you know anybody that has xp on their machine? whether friends or own fam members?

well a simple and quick fix is to...go to another computer and go to the windows\system32 directory and copy all the control panel applets (*.cpl) to a flash drive and put them on your computer...if those files are in fact infected then that should fix your problem.

if it was a group policy on your computer it would give a message saying "system admin has restricted access..." but since your not gett'n that i just think that your control panel applets have been corrupted.

hope that helps!
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
22-Feb-2007, 07:36 PM #6
I would definitely go for the restore since the problem is relatively recent.

You will NOT lose any documents or data stored in My Documents.

If you installed something -- that will be lost -- but the installation may well be responsible for the problem.

You should also check the disk for corruption by running chkdsk (right click on the local drive > Properties > Tools > Error checking.

Other issues might be evident in an examination of the event logs (run: eventvwr.msc and look at the system and applications logs)

WPDShServiceObj.dll is also installed along with the latest version of Windows Media Player; it detects "portable" devices.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

23-Feb-2007, 10:15 AM #7
copying .cpl files from another computer didn't help.

I resolved this issue by reinstalling windows with the 'R' key (repair). Everything is working now.

Thanks for all your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!