Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146???

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Feb-2007, 07:36 PM #1
Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146???
I keep getting an error code that says windows is unable to run, so I have tried to start it up in 'safe mode' and any other mode that it has given me an option to do, but I still keep getting the blue 'stop screen'. I can't get anywhere beyond that point.... When the computer first began the reboot, I hit the F12 key to run the diagnostics and the error code that I got was "DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146" "msg: Unit 2: DST Log contains previous error", but I can't get into the thing to try to figure out the problem, I'm frozen once that blue screen comes up-- I can't access the command prompt, or controls, or anything. I have not installed or uninstalled anything, so I don't know why it happened in the first place. I'm completely stumped...what should I do??? Please, please help...
Senior Member with 327 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Feb-2007, 08:47 PM #2
DST stands for Drive Self Test, if it fails the test it means your drive is failing.
Senior Member with 684 posts.

22-Feb-2007, 08:50 PM #3
Just a quick search is pointing to a hard drive failing. Might check cables to the HD and see if they are loose. Have you moved the PC lately?
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2007, 11:41 PM #4
Thank you for responding, I knew it was a drive test, but I didn't know what that code meant. I can't bypass that blue screen to access the system, is there anything that I can do?? When I ran the extended test on the same problem, it passed!! Doubly confused!! I have a Dell Inspiron 1150, I've never taken it apart and I'm apprehensive to do so.

Last edited by Carolyn_guarr; 22-Feb-2007 at 11:58 PM..
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2007, 11:49 PM #5
It's a laptop, wireless. I have a Dell Inspiron 1150. Is there anything else that I can check? I called Dell support and my warranty was expired, I told them what was wrong and they were going to charge me for a service call... plus a new hard drive if they couldn't fix it by phone, etc, etc. I felt that I was being given the run-around. I think that I could fix it, but I can't get past that blue screen--no start menu--nothing! Thank you!!

23-Feb-2007, 05:02 PM #6
When you get the Blue Stop Screen, what is the error code that you get?
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2007, 09:26 PM #7
Hi, thanks for your response. code reads: STOP: 0x000000ED (0X82F937C8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000,0X00000000)
I've removed and and replaced the my hard drive (the same one), but still, no change. Time for a new hard drive, huh? Any tricks on how to recover any files?

27-Feb-2007, 10:16 PM #8
Do you have access to an actual Windows Cd? If so you can try to boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r. Hopefully you can get it to boot, backup what you need,then replace the drive.
Computer Specs

28-Feb-2007, 08:46 PM #9
Yep, I tried. I used the windows back up that came with my computer. It didn't work. Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

12-Apr-2007, 12:57 AM #10
Talking Inspiron laptop short
My Inspiron 6000 had intermitent failures about six months ago, after my warranty expired.
After a month of this, I opened the memory compartment (center panel underneath, two small retaining screws), and found a small foam pad in a tubular wrapping. This had fallen loose from the cover panel and flopping around on the printed circuit memory board, and likely causing momentary shorts in the circuitry whenever I moved the laptop. And I found a second one this afternoon in the same compartment. And by coincidence, my wireless connections have been sporadic lately.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Aug-2008, 10:15 PM #11
Carolyn, at the moment, im trying to fix my cousin's problem(same 1 as urs)...but i had that on my desktop afew months ago as well...what i did is that i reinstalled windows on my desktop, even if i lost everything, at least it works now...though the thing is, on my cousin's computer, i can't reinstall windows cuz she has no cd thing or dvd reader :S...
But dont worry, it doesnt have to be open and working, it's gonna install...i suggest that if u really want it to work badly
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!