Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer hangs for no apparent reason

(!)

Member with 44 posts.

24-Feb-2007, 10:42 PM #1
Computer hangs for no apparent reason
Hello,

I am running Windows XP on a Pentium 4, 2.39GHz, 512Mb RAM PC. For some reason for a couple of weeks now my computer hangs all of a sudden no matter what I'm doing. I can be browsing the web, saving a file, watching a video, all of a sudden the computer simply paralyzes and there's nothing I can do but reset it. I have noticed that when this happens, the hard-disk light (the light that continually blinks when the computer is running a process) comes permanently on. I've tried inserting Cd's, memory sticks, diskettes, nothing happens. After I manage to restart the computer I look into the Event Viewer but there are no Errors listed. I've ran anti spyware programs and antivirus and everything seems to be fine.

A little background on a previous situation that could have something to do with this: I used to have a 90GB hard disk. For some reason one day the computer just wouldn't start, I started getting messages like "Insert Boot Device" whenever I turned the computer on. I took it to a tech guy who formatted the disk and tried to reinstall Windows. However he told me that he simply couldn't do it, the disk wouldn't let him install. He did tell me however that the disk could work as a storage device so what he did in the end was install a 40GB disk as C where he installed the OS, and leave my original 90GB as drives D and E for my data. This seemed to work until a couple weeks later I began getting some blue screens and once again I got the "Insert Boot Device" messages. When I tried to do a repair install with the Windows XP disc, the program said it couldn't find any discs. Just when I was about to send the computer back to tech support I had an idea. I opened the computer and saw a cable connecting the 40GB disc to the 90GB disc. I pulled the connector and then reconnected, closed the computer and tried again. The computer worked fine and none of my data had suffered any losses. This was about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

CPG
Member with 3,202 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2007, 01:56 PM #2
first backup any data you can't live without to DVD's or CD's or a external HD...verify they are good backups

then try this..do this for both hard drives
Run a Chkdsk. Start... Run...type: Chkdsk /f/r then hit OK. You will have a message that it can't be run now, would you like to run at boot (Y/N) type: Y then Enter. Restart your computer and let it run.
You can also right click your Local Disk C: in My Computer and select properties. Tools tab, Error- Checking > Check Now button. Check the boxes and hit Start.

Last edited by happyrck; 26-Feb-2007 at 10:26 AM..
Member with 44 posts.

25-Feb-2007, 05:05 PM #3
Short before reading your reply, the computer hang again and I had to reset. After reading your suggestion I started by running checkdisk on disk C. The check didn't report any damaged sections, however it hung at the end of the check (when it said, wait for computer to resume startup). The computer right now is having problems booting, sometimes it stays a bit more than usual on the Windows XP splash screen. When this happens I've noticed the system searches for something in drive A, then the hard-disk light stops blinking, remains lit and the computer freezes. In other ocassions, when the computer manages to finish starting up I try to use it but after a few seconds the computer freezes again. Signals of death I've come to recognize: the hard-dsik light permanently lit, and a very faint beep coming from the CPU. Whenever I hear this faint beeping, I know I'm doomed.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

Thanks
Member with 3,202 posts.

26-Feb-2007, 10:37 AM #4
after you unplug the computer from the wall and touching metal to ground yourself try disconnecting the 90 Gb drive completely...power and IDE cable..plug it back in and reboot
no joy... disconnect everything except keyboard mouse and monitor...listen for any beeps the computer make while booting...if you get any beeps besides one shot one at startup then let us know what they are...like two short beeps followed by one long beep
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Apr-2008, 06:05 AM #5
i'm having the same problem. my config is amd athlon 64 2800+ (socket 754), asus k8ne-deluxe, 512mb ram, ge-force 6200 256mb agp 8x. I remember that the hanging first started while playing NFS most wanted, and then randomly. First i hear a faint beep, everything becomes sluggish for a couple of seconds, then the orange led on my cabinet goes permanently on, and i know it's time to restart. i have a feeling it is either a power supply problem or overheating. any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by misnomer; 10-Apr-2008 at 06:14 AM..
Member with 44 posts.

11-Apr-2008, 12:26 PM #6
Misnomer,

In my case it seemed to be a problem with the disc. I had the hard disk replaced and that did the trick. It happened once to the new disk again but I ran Checkdisk and it helped. Maybe you can start by running CheckDisk (can't remember the exact command but if you google it I'm sure you'll find it in no time). It will most likely find damaged clusters. See if after repairing the problem continues. If so, you might need to get a new disk.

Hope this helps.

Best,

CPG

11-Apr-2008, 05:05 PM #7
well, i used asus motherboard monitor and found out that what should have been 3.3V goes as low as 2.95V sometimes. basically, motherboard has an undervoltage problem or the sensors are malfunctioning. The undervoltage can explain the hanging during intensive programs. Just to be safe, i've run chkdsk on my c drive and it corrected whatever problems that might have been there( i dont remember if there were any) , run registry mechanic, optimized my comp and increased my agp voltage in bios settings from default 1.5V to 1.6V, so that undervoltage is made up for. the comp hasn't crashed since then. All this I did today late afternoon (when the heat is lesser: I'm from India, heat is a big factor), so i need more time to check if overheating is involved still.
Hard disk corruption is very plausible because for 6 months i wasn't using my UPS and power used to go often (my bios chip got fried once because of that).
Thanks for your help. I'll let you know.

Last edited by misnomer; 11-Apr-2008 at 05:22 PM..

17-Apr-2008, 08:35 AM #8
Hi,

I have the same problem which cesarcarlos had. I reinstalled the OS and all software a few times but nothing worked.

I have two hard drives in my machine and some time back, I upgraded RAM (512M -> 1G). The machine is of Compaq/HP both hard drives and the additional memory chip were bought later. So they didn't come originally when I bought the computer.

Hi happyrck, I did what you suggested but there were no beeps when I booted the system.

If I run ChkDsk, does the data gets corrupted?
Member with 3,202 posts.

17-Apr-2008, 09:13 AM #9
Quote:
If I run ChkDsk, does the data gets corrupted
?
shouldn't if you use /f/r switches
.do this for both hard drives
Run a Chkdsk. Start... Run...type: Chkdsk /f/r then hit OK. You will have a message that it can't be run now, would you like to run at boot (Y/N) type: Y then Enter. Restart your computer and let it run.
You can also right click your Local Disk C: in My Computer and select properties. Tools tab, Error- Checking > Check Now button. Check the boxes and hit Start.

mfghaziits best if you start your own thread

21-Apr-2008, 12:34 PM #10
Well, I used ChkDsk with /f/r and what happened is that the OS got corrupted. I had to perform a full recovery and install all the software. Still I am facing the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!