Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Where Did my Start button go?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Mar-2007, 11:56 PM #1
Where Did my Start button go?
I seemed to have misplaced the tool bar that includes my start button. Windows XP. Windows tech or MSN tech will not help me. (Oh Windows wants to charge me a bundle to find my Start button. ) Is there something I can do myself...anyone have a suggestion?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2007, 12:10 AM #2
try this

slowly move your curser over top of your task bar untill it turns into a double headed arrow then with your mouse hold the left button and drag it upward to see if the toolbar comes back
Member with 587 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2007, 01:05 AM #3
Here's another fix if the above doesn't work
Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm. Scroll down and, on the left, click the first item in the list, "Taskbar is Missing." In the first box, click Open. In the next box click Run. In the next box, click Yes. When the last block appears, click, Finished.

Your toolbar should be back.
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2007, 01:40 AM #4
Thank you sooo very much! It worked!
Member with 587 posts.

06-Mar-2007, 12:23 PM #5
Which suggestion worked? We need to know to help the next person. Thanks.
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2007, 01:08 PM #6
Both responses were helpful. My tool bar had flipped to the right side of my screen several days ago and then disappeared. Flyer30ca helped with the suggestion of the double arrows to drag it back into view so I could at least see the start button, keep track of my active browsers and see the time again.
But I still wished for the tool bar on the bottom (my preference) and by following jdl's instructions (awesome webpage! I love it!) my toolbar magically appeared at the bottom of my screen again. So both helped! Probably if I had just used jdl's instructions first,it would have been sufficient to do the whole job, but Flyer30ca answered first.
Member with 587 posts.

07-Mar-2007, 01:09 AM #7
Glad we could both be of help. Welcome to the forums.

By the way, once you found the Taskbar on the right side of your screen, you probably could have dragged it and dropped it at the bottom of the screen (put the cursor on an open space of the bar and hold down the left mouse button as you move the bar to the bottom of the screen then let go of the left button.)

To make sure you don't inadvertently do this again, put the cursor in a blank space on the Taskbar and press the right mouse button. From the resulting menu, click on "Lock the Taskbar."

You may mark your request "Solved" by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top of the page and clicking on "Solved."
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!