Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Often Should You Reboot Your Computer?

(!)

Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2007, 10:55 AM #1
How Often Should You Reboot Your Computer?
How often should you reboot your computer? I've noticed that my memory usage gradually climbs the longer I have my computer on. I generally put it on standby every night before I go to sleep? Is this a good idea? Or should I just get in the habit of shutting it down at night?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,661 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2007, 11:02 AM #2
Personally, I don't use standby. I just shut the machine off at night and restart the next morning.
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
06-Mar-2007, 11:06 AM #3
Unless you have a reason for having it ON all night I would shutdown.
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Mar-2007, 11:22 AM #4
i always turn off my computer too unless i am downloading i think its better to shut down at night
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Mar-2007, 11:33 AM #5
Sounds like your system has a memory leak. You should look into what's causing that rather than worrying about how often to reboot. I put my laptop in Standby all the time. I generally only turn it off every couple of weeks.
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2007, 05:07 PM #6
How can I tell what would be causing this memory leak? Is there any test for it that I can do?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Mar-2007, 05:20 PM #7
I suggest posting a HJT log in the Security forum and have one of the experts take a look at it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

06-Mar-2007, 08:49 PM #8
If it's a memory leak, and not malware, there's a pretty simple way to find it.

Boot the machine, and take a screen shot of all the tasks in task manager and the memory they're using. After the machine runs for some time, say a day or two, do the same thing and compare the two for a big change in memory use of some task.

I did some thing similar when I found out that the CMedia mixer.exe has a memory leak and would grow to more than a gigabyte of memory used. Needless to say, at some point this would cause a problem, and I'd normally be reaching for the reset button. Since the mixer really wasn't required, removing it from the configuration solved the problem.
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2007, 09:43 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by win2kpro
Personally, I don't use standby. I just shut the machine off at night and restart the next morning.
While I do use standby during the day, I always shut down at night and restart in the AM and I never leave pc on when I am not home.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!