Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I move files from my C drive to my D drive?

(!)

Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Mar-2007, 02:04 PM #1
Can I move files from my C drive to my D drive?
Okay, first off - very computer illiterate -sorry. I have a Sony Vaio and I have way way way too much on my C drive - I can't even defrag my computer due to usage. I was curious if someone could walk me through the steps to move some of it to the D drive to make some space. I am afraid to delete anything that came w/ the computer - in case there are shared files or something. Also I can't find the disks/paperwork that came with it, so I can't add them back on if I screw up. thankyou for any and all help
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
06-Mar-2007, 02:08 PM #2
Howdy,

Your D drive is a second physical hard drive or the second partition on the main drive?

06-Mar-2007, 02:09 PM #3
I believe it is a second drive -prob for video/pics and such -My friend told me it was huge. -??
I am not sure as to - if it is a "partition" or not?

Last edited by EMLE; 06-Mar-2007 at 02:23 PM..

06-Mar-2007, 02:13 PM #4
All you do is Right click on the files you want to move and choose send to..... then choose your D drive

It will send them there and you can delete the ones on the main drive

You cannot move program files in this way as your programs will then not work but other files are OK
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2007, 02:32 PM #5
I think the best way to do this is to have someone with you that knows how to do this procedure for making free space on one drive to another, it would be the easiest way.

First of all you have to be careful about what type of files you move and also have a place to put them and they can only be your data files you have not any file that has anything to do with a program and how it runs. If you move a program file whether it isd a .exe file, .dll or other system file once moved and deleted from the original drive once you reboot your system will not boot up and you are up the creek with out the paddle to row with.

One the destination drive you have to be able to make sub-directories to keep these data files separated and in an order that you can find them later when you want to use them because your programs will not know where they are. Programs are stupid they only know the last place the files were at, you have to tell them where they are at.

Moving files actually is a real problem and really should have someone who has done it before with you there, I could type a book on how to do this and it still would not be enough to really help but what i have told you so far is a start.

Have a good day.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.

06-Mar-2007, 02:39 PM #6
Could I just move the kids games, my documents and photos (I have a lot of photos)? Would this possibly free up enough space to defrag?

06-Mar-2007, 02:54 PM #7
Photos yes and the games would not work if you move them so just Data files and folders in My Documents are OK.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Mar-2007, 03:20 PM #8
To move a system folder like My Documents, I would suggest using Tweak UI which comes with Windows XP Power Toys (assuming you're running Windows XP). If you just cut and paste the My Documents folder, you'll run into all kinds of problems. The same goes for the My Pictures folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,989 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Mar-2007, 10:51 AM #9
Have you run Disk Cleanup. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
Also clear cookies. In IE go Tools>Internet Options>General tab>click Delete Cookies.

Another simple thing to free up space is to delete or move old E-mails. For some reason people will save hundreds of MBs of mail. If you don't need it, get rid of it.

Pictures and music are good things to move. If your comp is a desktop and you have a CD drive, burn them to CD. It will free up space and give you backups of the files.

Also empty the recycle bin when your done. Hopefully those simple things will give you enough free space to defrag.
T.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Mar-2007, 08:12 PM #10
Right click on My Documents, and you can move them to another location. This will move My Documents and the contents, and adjust the pointers so the new location is used to access them. Don't try manual copies or the like, this is much easier and foolproof.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!