Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Chkdsk Does Not Scan, It Always Cancel. Please Help Me Out

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2007, 05:59 PM #1
Chkdsk Does Not Scan, It Always Cancel. Please Help Me Out
Hello,

Current Problem:
Im having a problem that I fear might get bad in time since I cannot use CHKDSK to fix my errors when my PC Crashes/get corrupted files.

Every time I try to do this - My computer> Properties> Tool> Check now > check both of them then restart PC...The scan say cancel without me wanting to. Normally when my PC crashes it does the scan before login but it gets cancel as well.

I search online for research on how to fix it but did not find a solution :/.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im not sure if this is needed but these were problems that I was having as well but manage to fix it except the CHKDSK.

Problems I had:

Corrupted files (Fixed by reinstalling XP w/o losing the progams)

Recycle bin would still be fill even when there is nothing inside (Fixed by reinstalling XP w/o losing the progams)

Diskeeper would not work and would give me this msg if try to Defrag
"Diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume {C:}. This is due to either a user request or because the operating system has found errors in the file system. CHKDSK will run automatically during the next system reboot. Until CHKDSK is run Diskeeper cannot defragment this volume."

(After reinstalling windows, diskeeper now looks exactly like the XP version of the defragment program, im guessing it got erase during the process; I still have the program but it takes me the the XP version of the defragment)

CHKDSK always cancel by itself (Still have the problem) :/
(I read in forum that by going to Run > Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENT CONTROL SET>CONTROL> SESSION MANAGER to locate the "BootExecute" file to change it to PDBoot.exe
autocheck autochk f * it will fix CHKDSK but it did not work for me, I never change it back becuase I do not know how it was before)

===========================================

Please help me out, I am out of ideas on how to fix CHKDSK :/
Member with 191 posts.

27-Mar-2007, 06:05 PM #2
try this scandisk
Try running scandisk from a cmd prompt, chkdsk is old school andnot used much by me anyway I use scandisk alot.
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2007, 06:39 PM #3
how do I do it from the cmd prompt?
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Mar-2007, 08:08 PM #4
Try using XP cd from Recovery Console, and you need to be certain the pc boots to cd drive 1st or 2nd drive before hard drive.http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How_t...p-t131922.html
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2007, 11:10 PM #5
Rich-M, before I did what you told me I was converting my files from FAT32 to NTFS hoping it will work.... but during the process it said
"When you try to use the Convert.exe tool to convert a file system from the FAT16 or FAT32 file system to the NTFS file system, you may receive the following error message even though there is plenty of available free disk space:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
Insufficient disk space for conversion
The conversion failed.
Drive: was not converted to ntfs"

I found out why.... "The error message may occur if the FAT partition that you are trying to convert contains bad sectors in this work area at the end of the partition."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323563

BTW i could not do a "chkdsk /f /r" it will say Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this window to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) I press Y and the scan STILL cancels :/

========================

Anyway after doing that I did exactly what you told me to do with the XP disc and was able to do a scan. It said it has fix errors and it restarted my PC. After that I was able to convert my files to NTFS. Afterwards I tried doing a chkdsk by going to my computer>properties>tools>check now> check both then restart but it still cancels :/ and still no luck with defragment :/.... I keep getting this msg "Diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume {C:}. This is due to either a user request or because the operating system has found errors in the file system. CHKDSK will run automatically during the next system reboot. Until CHKDSK is run Diskeeper cannot defragment this volume". By the way I reinstall diskeeper after reinstalling XP from my first post....any ideas :/ ?
Trusted Advisor with 19,684 posts.

27-Mar-2007, 11:54 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnschultz
Try running scandisk from a cmd prompt, chkdsk is old school andnot used much by me anyway I use scandisk alot.
I beg to differ on Windows XP.

But essentially he is trying to get ChkDsk to run when the comptuer reboots. I know there is a way to force this in the registry I just can't remember off hand right now.
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2007, 12:19 AM #7
yea :/ ..... hopefully there is a solution to this problem.... I been working on this for Hours with no luck for like 3 days.

Just curious if its a must :/
If I was to use partition magic to copy my current hard drive to a brand new hard drive...would the chkdsk work on the new hard drive?

Last edited by Jaye31987; 28-Mar-2007 at 12:39 AM..

28-Mar-2007, 12:15 PM #8
You also might want to think about purchasing SpinRite.
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

28-Mar-2007, 12:20 PM #9
Boot the Recovery Console from your
XP CD and run chkdsk c: /f from there. Run it several times if necessary
until it comes back with no errors.

Give this a look.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1122752854

Remember to backup your registry first.
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2007, 12:50 PM #10
I will give it a go.... I will report it asap my status.
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2007, 06:42 PM #11
I did the recovery until no errors appear and it did fix certain things.

Im now able to do a scan from my computer>local disk>properties>checknow? and check the bottom for a scan (does like 5 phases)

I also could defrag using diskeeper.

I also could do a chkdsk /i scan which say this

Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

39078080 KB total disk space.
21079140 KB in 74349 files.
0 KB in bad sectors.
149292 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occuipied by the log file.
17813096 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9769520 total allocation units on disk.
4453274 allocation units available on disk.

The bad part now :/ after doing chkdsk /i, it said to do chkdsk /f which I did and this is what it said

"The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time the system restarts?<Y/N>"

I press Y and STILL no scan :/ at reboot. It keep canceling.
I tried doing a boot defrag reboot with diskeeper and was unsuccessful as well. I have no idea now on what to do :/
Computer Specs

28-Mar-2007, 09:33 PM #12
does it make a difference if use CD or the boot method? becuase I been doing the Boot method since I do not know how to get it started from the CD while turning on PC (Did it once but since then no luck then went to boot)
Member with 131 posts.

01-Apr-2007, 10:59 AM #13
To try and run "chkdsk", I like to use Command Prompt. Open it up and type "chkdsk /f". According to the DOS Help, the "/f" will fix errors on disk. Then, it should say that it will run after a restart. Shutdown your computer and turn it back on. It will cause check disk to run and fix errors on disk.
Member with 533 posts.

01-Apr-2007, 01:34 PM #14
With a new drive you could at least save your important data. Copy the drive or better clone your old one to a new drive. Leave both mounted and save your files than format the old one and check the old drive.
Computer Specs

01-Apr-2007, 08:50 PM #15
If I clone the drive, would the error go to the new drive?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!