Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook Express. How do I change the date on sent messages

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Mar-2007, 06:53 PM #1
Outlook Express. How do I change the date on sent messages
Somehow my clock was a month out for a short period and all my outgoing messages in OE were wrongly dated. Is there some way I can re-date them? Otherwise, these messages will not appear in the correct date order in the sent items folder and this is important to me.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Mar-2007, 07:57 PM #2
Welcome to TSG....

If you have the clock set correctly right now what you can do is move the emails out of the sent items folder back to the inbox and resend them from this date.

Once an email is sent there is actually no way to change the date on it since it has already left your computer.

I would use Bcc to Blind Carbon Copy one to yourself to see if this works and you might have to add a little aplogy in each before sending for having the wrong date on it.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs

29-Mar-2007, 10:12 PM #3
Many thanks for your advice.

If I reset the clock and resend the messages they will still have the wrong date and time on them. As I have quite a few of them it will be quite laborious to do that. At the moment I have put them all in a folder called " emails sent with the wrong date" in case someone has a really bright method of resetting the date and time.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Mar-2007, 10:20 PM #4
I do not know what is really wrong I tried it with a piece of email dated 1/05/07 and forwarded it to myself twice and it came back with today's date on it. Try it just copy the email to the inbox and then high lite it and click forward and put your own email address then send it and get the mail shortly there after and it will come back with todays date on it.

Have a good day
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2007, 08:04 AM #5
Thanks again

I understand what you are saying. I take an email that should be dated 21st March, but instead it is wrongly dated 21 April. I put it in my inbox (from my "wrongly dated sent emails folder"and send it to myself. It goes into my sent items folder dated 30th March ie today's date. It also comes back with the date 30th March on it which I delete. What good is that?

The only way I can see of doing this is to reset my computer clock to 21st March, Forward the email to myself and it will go into the sent items folder with the right date on it. The only thing wrong will be the recipient will be me instead of the correct person. I would have to then reset the computer clock to the correct date of the next email and forward it and so on. As I have a lot these this would be quite time consuming.

The reason it is a problem for me is as follows; my computer clock was a month out for about a week (probably when I looked at the clock to reset the time and I must have accidentally reset the month wrongly as well. All my sent emails for that period are in my sent items folder out by a month. So they are at the top of the folder. The date is approaching, when emails with those same date will start to mingle with the incorrectly dated ones, which is why I put them in a separate folder.

Any other ideas?

Roger
Moderator with 13,766 posts.

30-Mar-2007, 04:57 PM #6
Hi Roggey

It can be done, the caveat is, it will take time.

Drag a message out of Outlook Express onto the Desktop or into an empty folder.
Right click on the message,
Open with...
Select Notepad

I have a shortcut for Notepad in my Send To folder, all I have to do is right click on the file and choose Notepad. The message opens in Notepad.

The message headers will appear. In the message header there are about several date locations.
Correct the dates then save the file, File > Save
Close the file, then drag it back into Outlook Express, if all goes well, the corrected date should now appear for the message inside Outlook Express.
Repeat for subsequent messages.

I would keep that "wrongly dated sent emails folder" to itself (as the master copies) and drag the edited messages into another folder in Outlook Express, in case of unexpected or undesired results. You can then start over if needed.

Good luck
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
date, outlook express

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!