Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems with System process taking up too much CPU

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 09:05 AM #1
Problems with System process taking up too much CPU
Hi

Apologies if this may sound like a common problem, but I have read a lot of similar threads and none of them seem to discuss the exact problem I am experiencing.

This is not my pc, but my parents'. It is a Compaq Presario. It has a P4 3.06Ghz cpu, 1GB of ram, and runs XP Home SP2. I remember when my parents first got the pc it was very fast and stable, now however they complain of two problems.

Firstly it is really slow, especially if your mouse pointer hovers over the taskbar or if you attempt to do most things with Explorer, like right-clicking. Sometimes this can lock the pc up for minutes at a time. The second problem is that it doesn't shut down no matter how long you leave it. The best it manages to do is remove power from the keyboard and mouse, and then only occasionally.

I Have investigated the problems with the speed of the pc, and the problem seems to be to do with the system process. Task manager reports this process as using anywhere between 40% and 99% of the CPU all the time.

My actions thus far have been to do a complete sweep with anti-spamware and ant-virus, and they didn't find anything. Next I ran process explorer, which showed that the system was using about 50% on deferred procedure calls, 20% on hardware interrupts, and 30% on the System process itself. Upon looking at the threads running in the System process, I discovered that the thread ACPI.sys+0x10b10using the entire 30%.

I must admit I don't really understand what ACPI is, but an internet search revealed it to be associated with pcs being unable to propperly shut down. For this reason I am now assuming that the two problems (unable to sut down and running very slow) are related. This is just an uneducated guess however.

So can anybody suggest what the problem might be? Or how I might solve it?

If you need any information that I have forgotten, I will gladly provide it.

Many thanks in advance, Nigel.
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Apr-2007, 09:36 AM #2
At this point, the easiest solution might be to reformat and reinstall Windows.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 09:59 AM #3
I thought of this. But of all the threads I have read regarding similar problems, many have tried it but I have never seen it actually solve the problem. Therefore I'm leaving it as a last resort.

Thanks for the reply though.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 11:10 AM #4
computer hangs on boot---task manager processes
Hi Nigel,

It seems I may have the same problem. The task manager takes over and runs all these proccesses which uses up 100% cpu for about 5 minutes, then slows down for a minute or so then starts up again taking up to 100% of cpu. If I reboot using the power button I can ususally get going but this isn't right and takes too long. I hope someone reads this thread and has some solution. I will keep checking back to see what people say. This is really a problem, I do not want to reformat, it would take days to reinstall all my programs, I know, I have had to do it once already. Good luck and I will keep a watch out and post if I find anything that helps.

Mike
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,976 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2007, 11:43 AM #5
Nigel:

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete. When the Windows Task Manager window appears, click the Processes tab. How many processes are running?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - "Startup" tab. How many entries have a checkmark next to them?

It's my guess that too many unnecessary programs and services are loading during startup and running in the background.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2007, 11:55 AM #6
I just checked my computer and I have 41 processes running as high as 76 at boot, in msconfig I have 22 items checked, processor speed in now down around 8-15% after the computer has been an hour or so.
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2007, 11:56 AM #7
last post was by Mike
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 11:58 AM #8
Sounds like you seriously need to uninstall some stuff.
Senior Member with 459 posts.

Experience: Where's the ANY key???
05-Apr-2007, 01:24 PM #9
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.p...t=100&offset=0

do as flavee said with msconfig then go to the above web site and remove the start up process that are not needed. are you running Norton??????
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2007, 06:06 PM #10
No, I have AVG 7.5, Adaware SE personal and Spybot search and destroy. The AVG was just upgraded from 7.? a few days later this stuff started to happen...could it be? I removed 6 items from the msconfig start up, but have not retarted computer yet as it is working at the moment.

Mike
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,976 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2007, 06:21 PM #11
Mike:

You've encroached into Nigel's thread and you're going to cause confusion and delay helping him. You need to start your own thread.

Nigel:

I'll be awaiting your reply to my previous questions in #5.

Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

05-Apr-2007, 09:35 PM #12
I am sorry, you are entirely correct, I apologize sincerely. I have been on a few other threads that appear to have this same problem but Nigel... made a really succinct discription of the same experience I am having. I think a few other threads are about the same or a very similar problem. I will now only be a voyeur, please accept my humble apology.

Mike
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

21-Jan-2008, 11:16 PM #13
see if this helps
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

That download gives you a synopsis of all your running processes it lets you delete harmful processes and it ranks them by threat levels.
Computer Specs
Member with 61 posts.

23-Jan-2008, 08:28 AM #14
Old thread much?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!