Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BSOD stop error 0x00008E


(!)

Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
10-Apr-2007, 06:26 PM #1
BSOD stop error 0x00008E
I am looking at a Dell Dimension 8300 running XP Home SP1. 2.8Ghz with 512MB RAM. I have switched out the RAM with a known good strip but still getting same error. I can boot up in Safe Mode but when I try to boot normally, it crashes just after login. Any ideas?
Rockn's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Somalia of the North, MN
Experience: Disenfranchised American
10-Apr-2007, 06:34 PM #2
Did you install anything recently like software prior to the problem? If it will boot to safe mode and not Windows without error it could be a startup process or a hardware driver.

The BSOD normally has some information in it that will point you in the right direction.
Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
10-Apr-2007, 06:39 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockn
Did you install anything recently like software prior to the problem? If it will boot to safe mode and not Windows without error it could be a startup process or a hardware driver.

The BSOD normally has some information in it that will point you in the right direction.
This is actually not my PC. I was told that there was nothing new installed, software or hardware. They didn't even know if it would boot into Safe Mode.

I did reseat the video card, modem and soundcard when I was switching around the RAM, but still get BSOD when trying to boot into Normal Mode. It gets to the login screen, when you click on an account name, it logs into the desktop but then crashes.

The BSOD message is rather general, doesn't really give any info to go on...
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
10-Apr-2007, 06:56 PM #4
I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory
Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
10-Apr-2007, 07:21 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory
I'll work on posting those dump files. BTW; I not only swapped around RAM within the machine, I also took it all out and tried starting it with a brand new strip of 512MB that I had on hand, still BSOD...
Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
10-Apr-2007, 09:37 PM #6
Rollin' Rog; I have attached a zip file called Dumpcheck.zip to this posting containing the last dumpfiles from today and yesterday. Let me know what you think. THANKS!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dumpcheck.zip (330.4 KB, 119 views)
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
10-Apr-2007, 11:06 PM #7
Wow, that's a lot of crashes for 2 days. I've looked at a bunch of them and most are of the "unknown image" variety. Others are core drivers that suggest an underlying hardware problem.

It could be overheating, bad drive, bad cpu, bad ram (I know you've shuffled them around), or a bad PCI card. If you have any PCI cards you can remove (sound card?), I'd do that..

I don't think your Dell desktop has any support for temperature monitoring but verify the fan is working atleast and make sure it is clean.

Also, I'd run eventvwr.msc and look at the System log and see if you have any "disk" errors there indicating bad blocks.


Have a look at the motherboard and see if you can spot any "bad caps":

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Make a software tester for the ram, boot with it, and test that anyway.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 11-Apr-2007 at 04:28 AM..
richard94's Avatar
richard94 richard94 is offline
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 233 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Experience: Advanced, but not a techn
11-Apr-2007, 01:13 AM #8
Try installing another copy of XP. If this copy works then it is a software problem. If not, it is a hardware problem.
Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
11-Apr-2007, 10:10 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
Wow, that's a lot of crashes for 2 days. I've looked at a bunch of them and most are of the "unknown image" variety. Others are core drivers that suggest an underlying hardware problem.

It could be overheating, bad drive, bad cpu, bad ram (I know you've shuffled them around), or a bad PCI card. If you have any PCI cards you can remove (sound card?), I'd do that..

I don't think your Dell desktop has any support for temperature monitoring but verify the fan is working atleast and make sure it is clean.

Also, I'd run eventvwr.msc and look at the System log and see if you have any "disk" errors there indicating bad blocks.


Have a look at the motherboard and see if you can spot any "bad caps":

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

Make a software tester for the ram, boot with it, and test that anyway.
I did start memtest86 and ran it all night with no errors on the original memory. I took a quick look at the motherboard and saw no issues there but I'll look at more closely. The CPU fan does run, I verified that. The inside of the case does not look terribly dusty, CPU cooling fins are very clean.

I'll run that eventvwr.msc as soon as I get a chance and report back. THANKS!
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
11-Apr-2007, 11:03 AM #10
Although the bugchecks don't look like a software problem, since you can boot in Safe Mode -- try a "clean boot" in normal mode:

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode –

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.
Lexsar's Avatar
Lexsar Lexsar is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 175 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Elkridge, MD USA
12-Apr-2007, 10:52 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Rog
...In Safe Mode

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
I first tried another known good video card just in case that was the culprit but still same BSOD.

I went into msconfig in safe mode and did as you suggested above. Tried booting into normal mode, same BSOD.
Rollin' Rog's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North of Hollywoodland
Experience: I know when to fold em'
12-Apr-2007, 12:38 PM #12
Is there a sound card installed on this system?

Although the bugchecks did not identify the error as occuring in a known module -- I did note the error address was nestled among sound drivers.

I'd pull all the PCI cards not required for booting.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑